Change background image

Scenic spots for photography how to find?

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by Danielcphotography, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Danielcphotography

Danielcphotography New Member

Hi guys,

Bit of an odd question for you all. I am a photographer and run my own business selling my photos (as fine art for the wall).

I've recently moved from Darwin down to the Newcastle area, and sold my Navara up there.

I'm about to buy a 4WD (likely a mid 2000's Patrol) but that's not the purpose of my query here.

My main question is, are there any great resources I can use to find those amazing secret/beautiful but hard to reach spots? I've been reading trip reports on a few 4wd mags etc which is giving me a few idea's, but it seems that most of the prettiest spots aren't marked out much.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Www.danielcourtney.com.au

2. zookilux

zookilux New Member

I think a photography course is more relevant. A good photographer can make a photo of a rusted out Camry look amazing, whereas there'll be 35,000,000 shit photos of Ayer's Rock that look like rubbish on Instagram.

richardlnsw likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The pretty spots have been shot to death.
    There are no secret spots any more.

4. Danielcphotography

5. Danielcphotography

So no-one should bother taking photo's any more?

6. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

I think what they mean is just pack the car, take the camera and explore. What one person regards as a beautiful spot might be crap to another. What we think is crap might be stunning though the lens of your camera.
    You have stunning coastline around Newcastle, head west to Watagans or north to Barrington Tops.
    Hope this helps.
    Richard

7. zookilux

zookilux New Member

Oh dear.. I should have paid more attention to your username :)

I still stand by what I said though - I think the location is less important than the imagination of the person taking the shot. Looking through 4x4 magazines, most of the really good shots are just places that people like me would probably barely notice if I drove past them.

richardlnsw likes this.
  8. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

A fisherman will never give up their good spots, why would a photographer?

richardlnsw likes this.
  9. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Okay please keep this to yourself, but I’ve circled my favorite place to drive around looking for photo opportunities on the map below.
    All you have to do is drive around until you see something special. Easy.

1BC336F9-ECD1-4C66-AFC6-7B74A0628B8A.jpeg

:D:p

As much as this was meant as a joke, it’s also pretty much exactly what I do.:)

Muddled, Toddyh, RODEODAVE and 7 others like this.
  10. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Please don't take my comments the wrong way Daniel, but I agree with Pete.
    Years ago we were camped at Tibuburra & the guy next to us had been going out each day Gold Prospecting & finding some Gold. While we were talking to him one day a guy rolled into town, comes over to the Prospector with all his Gold finding gear & says "OK where did you find the Gold?" :cool:

RODEODAVE, Albynsw and dno67 like this.