Saunders Gorge June 2012

mac_man_luke

Took my new Ranger off road for the first time today at Saunders Gorge, a 4x4 track on private property just out of Mt Compass.

Very happy with how the Ranger behaved off road, conquered the toughest track of the park "Rocky Point Decent"

Overall id rate it as a very good place for someone to take there 4x4 for a first run as long as you know the basics (e.g. lower tyre pressures, using low range) and have the common sense to pick smart lines.

Attachments

mac_man_luke

Unfortunately not, generally by the time it got tough you were in the thick of it and stopping for photos was not really possible.

Next time ill mount my go pro for some HD video.

Kermit

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nice place but very barron. Needs a heap or revegitation development and then a campsite maybe closer to the dam. I thought it was a bit overpriced for what's there on offer.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Luke, great you got it offroad at last.
Looks like a good place to just check out things operating off road for new people or vehicles.

Truck looks nice, too nice to bang up (just yet).

Literally just back from Hopes Gully :D
Look for the TR in the next few days.

I think it is better not to have gone on a trip like this first up, although there are generally ok moderate tracks, you kind of get sucked into the harder ones :D

Can't wait to tell you all about it anyway, but it'll have to wait a little . . .

mac_man_luke

It is pretty barren but very green at the moment.

Not cheap but being so close to town i can handle it.

I don't see much attraction in camping there, not enough to do and close enough to town that it is easily a day trip. We got up there at 12 and were home by 5.

Only clocked up 1300km so far so certainly looking to avoid damage.

ColHDT

We were up there yesterday and i thought it was reasonable value, nothing to challenging but enough to get a fix! Much better value than what it cost me to head down & back to Deep Creek Consv. pk in fuel alone.......let alone the one measly track that was open when we got there.............................

The Rocky Point Descent track definately got the heart kicking, one of those 'no way out, but down' scenario's:)

Patrick Albrecht

went there a few years ago with the Fokes, was a nice day trip for them.

Was that 4x4 that rolled still there If so good little reminder of what not to do when going down a hill (Not in lowrange and clutch in).

Attachments

Last edited:

Poolman84

could be more tracks and difficulty levels, maybe someone else should take over. Rocky point i would prefer to go up and make it fun! But great for the learner!

mac_man_luke

went there a few years ago with the Fokes, was a nice day trip for them.

Was that 4x4 that rolled still there If so good little reminder of what not to do when going down a hill (Not in lowrange and clutch in).
Was not there when we went. Rocky point? could see how you could do that if not careful.