Sat Phones

BOUNCY HJ61

Greetings All,

Just Exploring The Many Sat Phones, And Curious Who Uses, And What Model People Have Chosen, And Any Problems You Found?

Cheers Michael

LowLux

Good thread Michael cause I'm looking at the same thing. Not usre if you know about the government subsidy you can apply for which can reduce the cost substantially.

richardlnsw

I have an Isatphone Pro on the Inmarsat network. The phone is easy to use, very reliable and no problems getting service at any time, even under trees.
I bought mine 2 years ago. The phone was $699 but I received $350 off for the gov. subsidy. You can get the subsidy if you can show that you will be out of range of mobile reception for more than 200 days in the next 2 years. Just fill in the paperwork showing your planned trip(can't help it if your trip got cut short:cool:). The supplier should be able to help you with the paperwork.
You can still get it on pre-paid. They have different options depending on your needs.

Grumpy

Richard it's 180 days now and the mob I am going through is called campersat and it cost you no yearly connection fee and you can get a pre paid sim card that you can activate when you need it provided its in the use by date.

richardlnsw

Richard it's 180 days now and the mob I am going through is called campersat and it cost you no yearly connection fee and you can get a pre paid sim card that you can activate when you need it provided its in the use by date.

I don't pay a yearly connection fee either. You just choose the pre paid option you want, the more $$ you recharge for the longer it lasts.
180 days makes it even easier.:cool:

Off topic but are you going to Bendelby?

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't pay a yearly connection fee either. You just choose the pre paid option you want, the more $$ you recharge for the longer it lasts.
180 days makes it even easier.:cool:

Off topic but are you going to Bendelby?

Yeh Grumpy, are you coming to Bendleby?

cheers

muffin man

Ive had a Motorola 9505a for 9 years on the Iridium network.
Works great and have never had an issue other than replacing the battery, $20 on ebay.
Use a next g sim if you have one and pay no plan costs or go for a $10pm casual post paid if you dont or dont want anyone knowing your number as you pay to receive calls.
To avoid paying for incoming calls go for an Iridium plan and expect to pay about $30pm for the cheapest plans. Outgoing calls will cost less.
MM

richardlnsw

On the Inmarsat network you don't pay for incoming calls or texts.
You can get a $70 pre paid which lasts for 3 months (unless you top it up again and it will extend). For your $70 you get 50 units. 1 unit is 1 minute talk time and a text is 1/2 unit. So about $1.45 per minute talk time and 73 cents per text.
Hope this helps a little.

muffin man

On the Inmarsat network you don't pay for incoming calls or texts.
You can get a $70 pre paid which lasts for 3 months (unless you top it up again and it will extend). For your $70 you get 50 units. 1 unit is 1 minute talk time and a text is 1/2 unit. So about $1.45 per minute talk time and 73 cents per text.
Hope this helps a little.

You dont pay for incoming calls if with an iridium plan, regarless of who the reseller is. You only pay for incoming calls if you use a telstra next g sim in your iridium phone.
MM

Campin40

I never realized that sat phones where this cheap now. If you get the rebate that's good value for something that can potentially save your life. I,ll have to look into it further.
Cheers
Waz.

BOUNCY HJ61

Greetings All,

And Thanks, I Don't Want Anything Too Flash, I Don't Need Angry Birds And A 8 MP Camera For Example, But Just Something Solid And Reliable, With Not Too Ridicules Phone Plan? I've Heard You Get Charged For Incoming Calls On A Sat Phone, Which A Few Confirmed Above - Bugger.

But Can Someone Only Call You, Who Also Has A Sat Phone??? OR Can A Mobile Phone Call A Sat Phone??? I'm Confused!!!

Don't Even Care If I Buy Second Hand Really!

Cheers Michael

PJR NSW

Banned
Firstly Bouncy. Get rid of all those capital letters. It's bloody hard to read mate. Sorry.

A word of warning on the Isatphone. I didn't believe it for ages but I found out it is true. We ghave a home phone land line with Telstra. I decided to call my Isatphone to check a rumour. Stuff Telstra. They charged me $20 for 4 seconds. I have also been shown that other land line providors don't charge that much.

So it's cheaper for me to call home at $1.09 than the kids to call me. They send me a free email to call them and I call when I turn the phone on and get the email. It may be a couple of days because it's not on all the time because it's only for emergencies anyway so it is not a big pain to us.

Just be aware of the inbound cost through Optus and Telstra. Looks like they don't like the competition.

Just for info we have an Isatphone Pro on prepaid. I think the overall cost of calls in the three years we have had it is less than $20. That's a guess because I have only made two outgoing calls from the Isatphone.

IT'S RAINING !!!!!!!!

Phil

richardlnsw

Firstly Bouncy. Get rid of all those capital letters. It's bloody hard to read mate. Sorry.

A word of warning on the Isatphone. I didn't believe it for ages but I found out it is true. We ghave a home phone land line with Telstra. I decided to call my Isatphone to check a rumour. Stuff Telstra. They charged me $20 for 4 seconds. I have also been shown that other land line providors don't charge that much.

So it's cheaper for me to call home at $1.09 than the kids to call me. They send me a free email to call them and I call when I turn the phone on and get the email. It may be a couple of days because it's not on all the time because it's only for emergencies anyway so it is not a big pain to us.

Just be aware of the inbound cost through Optus and Telstra. Looks like they don't like the competition.

Just for info we have an Isatphone Pro on prepaid. I think the overall cost of calls in the three years we have had it is less than $20. That's a guess because I have only made two outgoing calls from the Isatphone.

IT'S RAINING !!!!!!!!

Phil

yes it is expensive for people to call the Isatphone. My wife and kids just send me a text (on their plan it costs them 15c) and as Phil says, when you turn the phone on you get the text and you can contact them. I usually turn the phone on each night. It has cost me about $35 over the last two years although they don't offer the 2 years pre paid any more:( When you are remote it is a good feeling knowing you can make a call at ANY time.
Cheers.

muffin man

Greetings All,

And Thanks, I Don't Want Anything Too Flash, I Don't Need Angry Birds And A 8 MP Camera For Example, But Just Something Solid And Reliable, With Not Too Ridicules Phone Plan? I've Heard You Get Charged For Incoming Calls On A Sat Phone, Which A Few Confirmed Above - Bugger.

But Can Someone Only Call You, Who Also Has A Sat Phone??? OR Can A Mobile Phone Call A Sat Phone??? I'm Confused!!!

Don't Even Care If I Buy Second Hand Really!

Cheers Michael

Have another read through the previous replies and your questions are answered.
Several posters have provided some very good and comprehensive info on plans, no plans, next g sim and prepaid utilising different networks.
Good luck with your choice.
MM