sand fly repellant

lars cordes

gday all, am heading down to manns beach in sth gippy for a bit of a fishing trip in feb, just wanting to know if anyone has a good sand fly repellant recipe ? remember a bloke i knew who had a van down port albert telling me about the "port albert perfume" all the locals down there swore by, from memory had baby oil, dettol & maybe eucalypt oil in it, worked well apparently. only ever copped it bad once from the sand flies & i'll never forget it, def not an experience i want to repeat

I found natures botanical rosemary and cedarwood used to work awesome when I worked in the pilbara, just a dab of it on my collar and sleeves and it would keep away all the flies/sandflys/mosquitos. Now I work in the central desert and it works ok but not great against the mosquitos, and the bush flies they are still very friendly but I have since brokered a peace treaty with them. It has also worked very effectively on holidays in Bali/Thailand, better than aeroguard/bushman did. Guess it depends on what the local pests prefer, its still worth trying it out. Smells good too

Cooking On 2 Burners

We were told to take Betamin (Vitamin B) tablets before our trip to the Kimberley. Had no issues with sandflies the whole time we were away but can't guarantee that this was the cure but, mind you, it did have other benefits if you'd had a big night!! If all else fails try drinking tonic water - they don't like quinine!

greysrigging

I'm one of those lucky blokes who is immune to sandfly bites.....and mossies too. Well when I say immune, in fact they still land on me which is annoying, but I don't come up in welts or lumps. Anecdotally, long term Top End residents eventually develop some resistance.

Sister and brother-in-law swore by Windex when travelling through the top end. No name brands didn't work, but the genuine Windex kept them away.

Another thumbs up for the rosemary and cedarwood for flies! Haven't tried it for mozzies, and I usually get savaged by them, even in winter.

unko84

I use a clove of Garlic a day when the mozzies are out, you don't have to put cream or sprays on the skin,(attracts dirt and I cant get to sleep with the stuff on my skin) I've tried Vit. b tablets with little success garlic is good if you cut yourself in the bush a swell

Garlic is a pungent-smelling herb that has long been heralded as a natural way to repel mosquitoes—by smearing it on your skin, or by consuming it. ... There is so far insufficient evidence that spraying garlic repels mosquitoes in your yard,

Garlic natural antibiotic.
Recent publications indicate that garlic extract has broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity against many genera of bacteria and fungi.

dno67

20200121_164010.jpg

Used as a day time, night time defence. Ones good on flys, the other good on mozzies.

cloughcarib

I'll agree with the suggestion of Avon Skin-so-Soft, however, now that Avon is defunct(as far as I know), that's no longer an option. EVERY bar had it free to use when I was a kid. I didn't know about the Vit B option. I'll give that a go. I find that I'm far more susceptible to insect bites as I age. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the amount of blood in my alcohol system these days.

cam04

I'll agree with the suggestion of Avon Skin-so-Soft, however, now that Avon is defunct(as far as I know), that's no longer an option. EVERY bar had it free to use when I was a kid. I didn't know about the Vit B option. I'll give that a go. I find that I'm far more susceptible to insect bites as I age. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the amount of blood in my alcohol system these days.
You can still get it on line. Stock up before it’s gone. The NorForce soldiers put us onto it when I was working in Arnhem Land. It was all they used and no DEET.

RBJET

no offense RBJET but that stuff goes down like paint stripper these days for mine (and it was like mothers milk to me for a couple of decades), the stuffs never been the same since they messed with it 15 odd years back
No offence taken mate, I don't drink it either. Just a vitamin B joke.