Sand Flags

muffin man

I can't remember what the guy's pole was made from but it's way too big for a fishing rod.
Some funny comments over the radio from approaching cars.

lostboys

I reckon I'd have a question for most Earth threads if I take the time to browse.
Sand Flags... yep I've got a question, although & in dune country I definitely get it.
I have a standard UHF aerial, not tall enough for a flag. Another of my silly questions...
Whatever I use for a sand flag - & being on the road for an extended period - I'm not sure what to do with the damn thing when not in dune country.
Are there telescopic-built masts available for storage in the back?

Albynsw

I reckon I'd have a question for most Earth threads if I take the time to browse.
Sand Flags... yep I've got a question, although & in dune country I definitely get it.
I have a standard UHF aerial, not tall enough for a flag. Another of my silly questions...
Whatever I use for a sand flag - & being on the road for an extended period - I'm not sure what to do with the damn thing when not in dune country.
Are there telescopic-built masts available for storage in the back?

There are telescopic ones and three piece screw together versions as well which is what I have. Each pice is about 900mm to a metre long so not hard to find a spot to carry it

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi mate
Where did you buy this..
I bought a 3 piece Simpson compliment Minewhips unit that I carry in the supplied bag straped to my cargo barrier(with my axe).
http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/291639994265

There are parts available for this from separate flags to extra mounts.
I also have never had a problem with the supplier and had it by Tuesday after ordering Friday afternoon.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
I bought mine at a Camping and 4WD show but it looks to be the same as what Alien D2 has
I believe I've got the same one.
IMG_6217.JPG

I'm pretty sure I picked mine up at my local 4x4 accessories shop, and its proved itself to be pretty tough.

billolga

I believe I've got the same one.
View attachment 45397
I'm pretty sure I picked mine up at my local 4x4 accessories shop, and its proved itself to be pretty tough.
Just be careful when your through the sand areas & either reduce the height of the flag or take it off when you get near trees as I have seen a few of them demolished.
In my case I have an old white 9db Antenna that I don't use these days for UHF & carry about 1 1/2 mtr end of a Fishing pole slipped over the top & gaffa , that I slip on top with the Flag that makes it Simpson Legal Height.
Out of the Simpson I simply put the flag on the White Pole.
I mite add that three times last year although we were in radio contact with everyone doing the right thing, I met three vehicles head on at the top of a sand hill & the high flags sure worked.

Last edited:

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Just be careful when your through the sand areas & either reduce the height of the flag or take it off when you get near trees as I have seen a few of them demolished.
To be honest I didn't take mine off from the start of our second day on the Canning until we were past Well 51. It was dragged through trees for days on end, and the only effect it had was to bunch the flag up towards the end of the pole a bit. This is why I felt he need to put the word "tough" in my previous post.
It did whack the roof and flash into view next my head quite a few times, however I found spotting other vehicles in the scrubby areas was a lot easier when you could see their flag floating along above the bushes, so I chose to leave mine on.

Here's what it looks like after the CSR, and the Simpson Desert (not that it hit much in the Simmo)...
IMG_6218.JPG

MyCrazy80

To be honest I didn't take mine off from the start of our second day on the Canning until we were past Well 51. It was dragged through trees for days on end, and the only effect it had was to bunch the flag up towards the end of the pole a bit. This is why I felt he need to put the word "tough" in my previous post.
It did whack the roof and flash into view next my head quite a few times, however I found spotting other vehicles in the scrubby areas was a lot easier when you could see their flag floating along above the bushes, so I chose to leave mine on.

Here's what it looks like after the CSR, and the Simpson Desert (not that it hit much in the Simmo)... View attachment 45400
Hey Mr Rum, did you do a trip report on the CSR? Would like to read it if you did!

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Hey Mr Rum, did you do a trip report on the CSR? Would like to read it if you did!
Not yet, but I'll get to it eventually. We took notes every day we were away, so I just have to turn them into something coherent.

I think I'm up to day two so far...

Now that you've asked though, I might find the motivation to have a crack next time I have a couple of days off.

MyCrazy80

Not yet, but I'll get to it eventually. We took notes every day we were away, so I just have to turn them into something coherent.

I think I'm up to day two so far...

Now that you've asked though, I might find the motivation to have a crack next time I have a couple of days off.
That would be good if you could.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I was given a High Frequency UHF antenna couple of years ago. So when I went to Robe for my beach trip I mounted it on my bullbar on a holder that was there. I then bought a flag from Opposite lock in Epping. When not in use , I screw it off and tie it to my interior roof. Must hook it up to my radio one day.:).
DSCF2041.JPG

Bomber2012

I'll be using a bit of 20mm orange conduit while at the SA meet , cut it in half to store it , then insert the straight end into the coupling end when in use . Haven't decided what to use as a flag yet ?