Sand Flags

Chatty

I looked at the fishing rod/conduit/whatever with a cheapie Bunnings style flag on it and then looked at the 3 piece made-for-purpose flag that came complete with all the fittings and breaks down to a sensible length and in the end I thought the $20 I might save by doing it myself just wasn't worth the hassle :D

dirvine

please tell me where I çan get a 3 piece flag for $23 and I would gladly have bought it. purpose built Flags are way more expensive than that! But stand to be corrected. Thats all mine cost.

billolga

I looked at the fishing rod/conduit/whatever with a cheapie Bunnings style flag on it and then looked at the 3 piece made-for-purpose flag that came complete with all the fittings and breaks down to a sensible length and in the end I thought the $20 I might save by doing it myself just wasn't worth the hassle :D
Some of the do tend to fall to bits though.

Albynsw

I did the conduit/ fishing rod jobbies as well but ended up buying a proper black widow one at a 4WD show and it is much easier with its snap on fitting and three piece construction
All depends how often you are going to need one to justify the cost

Tink

Did the Simpson in 2014 and two things worth mentioning. There were both Rangers and Police out on patrol. Both were checking permits and flags and both were handing out fines. The two mates who took the cheap option with flags, that is home made jobs, both had failures. Both had gaffa tape and cable ties trying to keep their flags upright before the halfway mark. My 3 piece mine flag had no issues on the trip.
Tink

Tink

Think you will find that Police have the same powers as Rangers when it comes to NP regulations. After chatting with the police, whilst waiting to cross a dune, it seems they were more interested in drink drivers.
Tink

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Think you will find that Police have the same powers as Rangers when it comes to NP regulations. After chatting with the police, whilst waiting to cross a dune, it seems they were more interested in drink drivers.
Tink

I think you will find Police in fact have more power than the Rangers, and in that area there is an arrangement where SA Police can arrest in Qld and vice versa, I understand that the Police have been carrying out RBT, Rego Roadworthy & Permit checks, come close in Birdsville a couple of times but not seen them in the desert as yet, but don't / wouldn't drink enough when in the Desert to register in the morning

cheers

Tink

I think you will find Police in fact have more power than the Rangers
You think :rolleyes: Obviously Police have more powers than Rangers. My point was simply that Police could enforce NP regulations such as needing a permit and using a sand flag.

there is an arrangement where SA Police can arrest in Qld and vice versa
Correct. Common on all state borders for neighbouring Police to be granted "special constable" powers in the adjoining state.

I understand that the Police have been carrying out RBT, Rego Roadworthy & Permit checks, come close in Birdsville a couple of times but not seen them in the desert as yet
The copper I spoke to on the French Line, who I referred to above, was from Birdsville and was travelling with a SA copper from Oodnadatta (I think). Guess would pay not to be too complacant out there.

Tink

muffin man

Hey Dirvine,
Thanks for the heads up on the bunnings trailer flag.
That will go perfect on my conduit now that the wifes bright pink bloomers are illegal.

muffin man

Now that's a flag :eek:
015 pp - Copy.JPG

itlldoo

so the rangers no longer have to come into the park, just sit in the fire towers all day drinking coffee, :cool: