Sand Flags

10G

Wondering what others are doing for sand flags?
I don't want to spend $$$$s on a sand flag setup as I don't think you need to. Last time I used a sand flag I used some PVC conduit and an old bright rag I had kicking around, that worked well until I went under a tree and the conduit bent, it was useless after that.
So I'm really wondering what others who have built their own, have used as the pole???

Thanks in advance.

Swaggie

Orange Condit from the electricians with an Australian flag on the top..(That's what James bought us for the Robe trip) or an extendable fishing rod or camping pole..

Goodluck

10G

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I am heading to the Simpson later this year, so I'm glad I found out about the flag requirements.
Yeah I reckon a fishing pole would be great, I'm going to see if I can find one.
Thanks again.

dirvine

I bought a trailer flag from bunnings, about $3, and attached it to my vhf antenna. This met the reqirements of the authorities. When you buy the desert pass they tell you all the requirements on size of flag and how high it must be off the ground.

GUnka

I bought a trailer flag from bunnings, about $3, and attached it to my vhf antenna. This met the reqirements of the authorities. When you buy the desert pass they tell you all the requirements on size of flag and how high it must be off the ground.
Am very surprised that meets the requirements considering what NPSA specify. Your vhf antenna must be pretty long otherwise. Below is straight from the NPSA website,

Safety flag requirement
All vehicles must be fitted with a safety flag as detailed below when travelling in the Simpson Desert Conservation Park or Simpson Desert Regional Reserve.

Flag:
  • Minimum 300mm wide by 290mm high
  • Made of fluorescent materials, red-orange or lime-yellow in colour
Vehicles:
  • With front bulbar - flag pole attached to the bulbar, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground
  • Without front bulbar - flag pole attached via bracket at the front of the vehicle, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground; alternatively flag pole attached to the front of the roof rack, with top of the flag a minimum 2 metres from the roof of vehicle

itlldoo

unless your on a motorbike, then you don't need one, only head light on. seems a bit weird that a large vehicle that's throwing a dust rooster tail for klm's and head lights on is less visible than motor bike. but whatever !! policy's on the run I guess with out to much thought !!!!

dirvine

If you look at my avtar you will see I have a tapped aerial. This is about 3 metres long and when on the bull bar it is above the minimum height. The bunnings flag is of the correct size and colours.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
And if you use conduit use the grey stuff. I was told by a supplier that the orange stuff is fro underground and not UV protected so will deteriorate quickly.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The regs above in Gunkas posts are only for the Simmo.

Todd, @itlldoo, there's not much dust trail in the Simmo, or on the dunes / beaches down the Limestone Coast.
Headlights on helps for sure.
But if you do either of those areas in the dunes, you'll see just how necessary a flag is, although not mandatory down the SE coast, it should be.

billolga

Am very surprised that meets the requirements considering what NPSA specify. Your vhf antenna must be pretty long otherwise. Below is straight from the NPSA website,

Safety flag requirement
All vehicles must be fitted with a safety flag as detailed below when travelling in the Simpson Desert Conservation Park or Simpson Desert Regional Reserve.

Flag:
  • Minimum 300mm wide by 290mm high
  • Made of fluorescent materials, red-orange or lime-yellow in colour
Vehicles:
  • With front bulbar - flag pole attached to the bulbar, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground
  • Without front bulbar - flag pole attached via bracket at the front of the vehicle, with top of the flag a minimum 3.5 metres from the ground; alternatively flag pole attached to the front of the roof rack, with top of the flag a minimum 2 metres from the roof of vehicle
Yes, that's what I do - I have a long white 9db pole that I slip a 1.3 mtr top of a fishing rod over it taped on.
Covers all those requirements.

itlldoo

hi Les I don't have a problem, with sand flags but you would think it should be across the board, sand flags are now a REQUIREMENT, but only on selective amount of vehicles, its not even a REQUIREMENT to have up to date radio communication that's a recommendation!!

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ah yeah, see what you mean Todd, the motorbike exemption.
Yeah, thought about that myself, suppose an unwieldy flag up on a bike would be dangerous for balance.
They do move fast too, even over dunes, have done a couple of crossings where there were groups of over 12, maybe as many as 25 going both with us in direction, and the opposite way.
Down the SE coast here in SA there have been collisions / near misses quite often due to the speeds they come over dunes.

Swaggie

Down the SE coast here in SA there have been collisions / near misses quite often due to the speeds they come over dunes.

It's no different in The High Country Les, one day one will no doubt kiss my Bullbar (I dread seeing it if its a hard hit) , had a couple off near misses tho, All due to them doing crazy speeds up over smaller blind hills .

GUnka

It's no different in The High Country Les, one day one will no doubt kiss my Bullbar (I dread seeing it if its a hard hit) , had a couple off near misses tho, All due to them doing crazy speeds up over smaller blind hills .
And they wonder why they get called "Temporary Australians" :rolleyes: