Safe to cut alligator clips off air compressor?

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have a twin thumper, cut the clips off with a foot of wiring and put 120amp anderson plugs on both loose ends. Then I made another supply from the battery directly to another 120 plug- I can now run the compressor from the bonnet plug or use the clips on someone else's battery if needed.
I used 6 b+s cable.

Jesse26

Hey guys instead of making another post I thought I would just ask here.

I'm going camping this weekend at a caravan park with power. Is it safe and not damaging towards my starter battery if I plug my fridge into one of those cigarette plugs and have my fridge running while I'm driving there and then when I pull up plug it into 240 power at the campsite.

Would just make it easier to do a food shop before I leave then not have to worry about that.

Cheers

Triton14

I'm going camping this weekend at a caravan park with power. Is it safe and not damaging towards my starter battery if I plug my fridge into one of those cigarette plugs and have my fridge running while I'm driving there and then when I pull up plug it into 240 power at the campsite.

Would just make it easier to do a food shop before I leave then not have to worry about that.

Cheers
The biggest factor is what is the draw from the appliance?

Id say a fridge will be ok as they are usually a low draw item, my 80lt dual zone only has a current draw of 3.75amps @ 12V & cigi plugs are normally ok to 10amps.

The compressor it a very different piece of gear & at different draw rate but its all based on an individual appliance basis.

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
I wouldn't use the cig plug for anything more than a gps, usb power or the like. How far is the caravan park from your home? Get the fridge nicely cold and keep it shut and pretty much right for a couple of hours-even pack some ice blocks in it to help-then when you get time make (or buy) a decent power wire. I personally used either 6mm twin core or 8 b+s cable when I ran the fridge from under bonnet batteries, fused at the battery.

cam04

Cheers

I have 3 fridges, all running on andersens. I have also made up A short Andersen to cig patch lead for the times an Andersen feed isn’t available. Over Christmas the Ute had a mechanical conniption so the wife’s Subaru got pressed into service. The 33l fridge was used many times over the break running straight off the cig plug in the car, and for almost 3000 km of driving a battery was plugged into the cig lead and the fridge off that. The system worked better than I expected. Cig plugs have a habit of getting knocked and coming loose so if you must use them, check them often. They are not an ideal solution but are ok for a fridge in the very short term.

Triton14

I think there is still a place for cigi sockets, you just have to be selective on what you run through them!

Amongst other connections I have 5 x 20amp cigi sockets in the back of my ute, but they are there more for charging low draw items like charging small electronics(GPS, radio's, laptops, camera's, battery jump starter etc) & powering low draw LED strip & camp lights, all being used when stationary.

My fridge only came with a cigi/merit & 240V power cable, I went out & bought an anderson plug cable(yes I could have cut & refit a anderson to the cigi cable) the same day I got it as I didnt want to power the fridge from the cigi light connection mainly for fear it would come lose during driving.

But no, there is no way I would run a high draw compressor or any other high draw item through it.

Gavin Ainsworth

Hi, been reading through this thread and want to clarify a couple of points before I dive in and snip of the alligator clips.

I have a XTM dual air compressor with a amp draw of 90amps.
To cover that i'm thinking I will need to run 6 B&s cable to a 120ampAnderson plug with a 100amp fuse nice and close to the battery and the Anderson plug in the tub.

Further that i'm wondering if anyone has used the 120amp Anderson plug to 50amp Anderson plug adapters i've seen around the place (Are they safe for device connection?).
I'm thinking I could connect one of those and cut in a smaller fuse between the plugs and run the fridge which has a 50amp Anderson plug connection off the same line with the larger cable.

I'm very new to this so would appreciate any direction or advice that is offered.

Thanks.