Safe to cut alligator clips off air compressor?

Jesse26

G'day all,

I would like to permanently mount my air compressor to the wings of my kings draw system.

I own a adventure kings twin compressor and am wondering if it is safe and possible to cut the alligator clips off and connect a cigarette plug.

In the back of my Triton I have 2 cigarette sockets that are activated by a switch in the cab.

If it's possible and safe to do so would make my set up alot easier instead of having to pop the bonnet every time I air up.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-112458.jpg
    Screenshot_20210113-112458.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52

Jesse26

G'day mate, look I would advise against that. What are your cig sockets and wiring setup amp rating?

Not sure what the amp rating is.
Is there a way I can check?
The previous owner reckons mitsubishi and or iron man had installed it as well as everything else on the car.

Scrubull

Your cig sockets imo would likely only be rated 10 to 15 amp maybe... can you see a fuse anywhere in the line? Your compressor probably draws over 40 amps, your wiring might be good for 15 for example.

idiomatically

Depending on the model Kings compressor you have they can pull anything from 45 to 90 amps. Way more than the 20 amps a cigarette socket is rated for. This is where you need the right cabling and a Anderson plug.

Triton14

Cigarette lighter plugs are not designed for that sort of current. If you want an alternative, run some heavy cable from your cranking battery and use an anderson plug

Aaron
Yep, what Aaron said.

I would also add a suitably sized fuse or breaker on that line as well.
If your running a 90amp appliance from the front to the rear you'd probably need something like 6 or 4b&s cable as well otherwise you will fry the wiring.
Different cables have different ratings but you would want to go heavier than lighter, at least 120amp.

Last edited:

Colly18

G'day all,

I would like to permanently mount my air compressor to the wings of my kings draw system.

I own a adventure kings twin compressor and am wondering if it is safe and possible to cut the alligator clips off and connect a cigarette plug.

In the back of my Triton I have 2 cigarette sockets that are activated by a switch in the cab.

If it's possible and safe to do so would make my set up alot easier instead of having to pop the bonnet every time I air up.

Cheers.
X3 like Aaron said. You could do like many RAA, RCV, RACQ vehicles do and run some suitable cable from your cranking battery to an anderson plug mounted on your bull bar(?)

Jesse26

Thanks for all the replies, I have learnt a few things.

Is there a good air compressor on the market that has a cigarette plug instead of alligator clips?

smitty_r51

Thanks for all the replies, I have learnt a few things.

Is there a good air compressor on the market that has a cigarette plug instead of alligator clips?
Nope, they draw to much power to be powered by a cigarette socket. My tjm is one of the lowest I have found on the market and that is still a 30a fuse. You need a direct connection to the battery hence the crocodile clips or add others have suggested a specific cable run for the compressor

Corndoggy

If your fitting it permanently why use any plug connection. Cut the clips off and use a small junction box as a connection. But run a new suitably sized cable and fuse for it. You do it once and do it right.

Just to add my 2c. I have a Kings Thumper, I imagine that's what you have too, and I foolishly alligator-clipped it to my house battery without my engine running. It blew the 50a fuse in my Redarc battery isolator, leaving me without a fridge for 2 days on the Murray River.

As others have said, no way a cig socket will hold up to that sort of abuse. I think the instruction manual listed a 70a draw on compressor start-up. Might be more, but either way.

Buxter

G'day all,

Cheers.

Anderson Plug is the go, and you should run 6 B&S wire to it

CTL

Some varying advice above. Some incorrect advice above.
The compressor has alligator clips as it is designed to connect directly to the battery due to how many amps it sucks.
You need to establish the compressor’s actual current draw. Match that to the correct sized cable. And then add a fuse, close to the battery, for the lowest rated component in the electrical circuit. The compressor should have its own fuse, but you are adding a larger fuse to protect the circuit. In a lot of circuits, the lowest rated component is the Anderson plug at 50 amps, not really suitable for extended use of a 90amp compressor. Yeah, you might get away with it, until you don’t quite plug the AP in properly, then things start to melt, or worse. Take it to an auto elec if you don’t know what you are doing.

mikehzz

I run a Kings Thumper via Anderson plug wired direct to my different brand Thumper Redback battery box. I choose Thumper whenever possible, because it's important for my accessories to have cool names. :) No way would it run from a ciggy socket.

CTL

50amp Anderson Plugs are commonly used but there are heavier duty options.

There are many Anderson “style” plugs and then there are the genuine Anderson plugs. Narva does NOT sell genuine APs. My camper came with Narva plugs and I had a genuine on the back of the ute. The Narva was a loose fit. I was concerned it would dislodge on corrugations so swapped the camper to a genuine AP, much firmer fit and more secure.