SA to QLD avoiding NSW. Heading for Charity Run on Fraser Island September 4

MrImpact

Hi folks. My partner and I are planning a trip to Hervey Bay QLD at the start of September(covid dependant). I'm looking for anyone with experience around the Arkoola and Strazlecki regions as we are not sure which tracks will get us through to Cameron Corner, or if there's a better path to travel. We will be focused on time due to our work commitments prior and charity commitments upon arrival. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Scott

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Scott,
from Arkaroola you head up to Mt Hopeless and on to the Strez, from there you keep going until you hit Merty Merty then through to Cameron Corner - watch your speed as some of the rises can have big bulldust holes, it should take you a good day, if you have the time I would find a bush camp in the green sections as there isn't much at Cameron Corner in the way of shade, alternatively once you are on the Queensland side there are a few spots to bush camp.
Cameron Corner.JPG

MrImpact

Hi Scott,
from Arkaroola you head up to Mt Hopeless and on to the Strez, from there you keep going until you hit Merty Merty then through to Cameron Corner - watch your speed as some of the rises can have big bulldust holes, it should take you a good day, if you have the time I would find a bush camp in the green sections as there isn't much at Cameron Corner in the way of shade, alternatively once you are on the Queensland side there are a few spots to bush camp. View attachment 69082
Thanks for the reply so quickly and clearly. My research was pretty on track but this it clearer. Cheers,
Scott

Last edited:

dabbler

Your decision will probably come down to which routes are open. SA Outback Rds suggests Strezlecki to Cameron Corner is currently closed and there are restrictions in and around Innamincka (high clearance, towing etc).

The Innamincka and Birdsville pubs' websites both have a good set of weblinks to road condition reports from state and local authorities. A phone call to Innamincka Hotel or store, or Cameron Corner store might also be money well spent.

My choice would be via Innamincka but they are much the same.

boobook

Hi Scott,
from Arkaroola you head up to Mt Hopeless and on to the Strez, from there you keep going until you hit Merty Merty then through to Cameron Corner - watch your speed as some of the rises can have big bulldust holes, it should take you a good day, if you have the time I would find a bush camp in the green sections as there isn't much at Cameron Corner in the way of shade, alternatively once you are on the Queensland side there are a few spots to bush camp. View attachment 69082
Hey Cookie, nice pic.

How did you draw the track onto that map? I assume it's a GPX track.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Your decision will probably come down to which routes are open. SA Outback Rds suggests Strezlecki to Cameron Corner is currently closed and there are restrictions in and around Innamincka (high clearance, towing etc).

The Innamincka and Birdsville pubs' websites both have a good set of weblinks to road condition reports from state and local authorities. A phone call to Innamincka Hotel or store, or Cameron Corner store might also be money well spent.

My choice would be via Innamincka but they are much the same.

just a heads up

Having just got back from a trip I would strongly recommend contacting DPTI or looking at the Outback Roads for the State, reason I say this is, at William Creek a couple of cars of young blokes were heading to the Simpson and the staff were warning them about travelling on closed roads, I believe it is around $1000.00 per tyre including spares. Met up with them again next morning at Oodnadatta and they were told they're good to go, I mentioned it was closed and showed them my phone. The chap inside said it was open until I showed him my phone and he said "oh, I thought it was open".

I don't think he would have paid their $10,000.00 fine (2 cars x 5 wheels) - the onus is on the driver

cheers

MrImpact

just a heads up

Having just got back from a trip I would strongly recommend contacting DPTI or looking at the Outback Roads for the State, reason I say this is, at William Creek a couple of cars of young blokes were heading to the Simpson and the staff were warning them about travelling on closed roads, I believe it is around $1000.00 per tyre including spares. Met up with them again next morning at Oodnadatta and they were told they're good to go, I mentioned it was closed and showed them my phone. The chap inside said it was open until I showed him my phone and he said "oh, I thought it was open".

I don't think he would have paid their $10,000.00 fine (2 cars x 5 wheels) - the onus is on the driver

cheers
Thanks so much for this information and the links. I'll take all the advice I can get. We aren't towing so from current info, it looks like we're going to compare going up to Lyndhurst then up toward Innaminka or up from Yunta to Innaminka and across through Durham.
Although time is a big factor, we are conscious of enjoyability and driveability.
Thanks again

smitty_r51

just a heads up

cheers
We had this at wanaaring, drove in, no closed road signs, spoke with the general store while getting fuel and he couldn't work out how we arrived, drive out the town and closed signs, went back to the store and he got the latest report from roads dept and gave us a printout showing it was open as we had to drive past the closed sign.
Fine on that was 1000 a tyre on the ground, he was feeling us about the road train that had been caught the week before

MrImpact

Ready to go. Tomorrow does come, eventually. Hope she remembers her toothbrush, cos she ain't using mine...

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200827_092614.jpg
    MVIMG_20200827_092614.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200827_092627.jpg
    IMG_20200827_092627.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20200824-220115.png
    Screenshot_20200824-220115.png
    551.3 KB · Views: 51

Albynsw

I just got back yesterday. We came down from Cape York through Birdsville into SA on the Birdsville track a few days ago and then through the Flinders Ranges into NSW
I would take the Innamincka option as well
Central Australia is looking pretty good after the 30mm of rain they just received.

Enjoy :)