• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Sa murry river camping

G'day fellas this October long weekend I would like to take my wife and kids camping for 3 or 4 nights as we have been fitting my holden rodeo out with camping gear but not shur on where to go destination wise. Was thinking somewhere along the murry River but I would like to have a camp fire and not have to bring my own fire wood. Any suggestions for other camping destinations are welcome

Colly18

There are plenty of camping opportunities along the river, but with a month to go you may be leaving your run a little late for booking(?) I'd try phoning Riverland Visitor Information Centres and getting their advice. Once you know where you are going you could (prior to you leaving home) chase up where to get some firewood at your destination.

Grippy

The whole booking thing is kind of a bummer. I've talked to a few of the young punters at work who have booked, rocked up places and people are in their spots, let them know that they've paid for the spot, then had trouble with said group oncé they've moved on.
There's a million spots along the river, heaps up past Waikerie which are surely not listed on the Parks site.
If still no luck, ring and book at Loveday, ask for a spot on the river and have a good weekend on the tracks too.

discomatt

Surely there are free camps along the river you don't have to book that are in state parks.
We have been free camping along the Murry in Vic for over 20 years, it is getting harder to find spots without heaps of other campers but it is possible.
We never free camp over a long weekend or main holiday periods for obvious reasons, even when the kids were with us we would pull them out of school for the family holidays and did that up until year 10 without any adverse affect on their schooling

Thanks for the info will look at maby booking online this weekend as there are a few good spots available. As for Loveday I have that booked in for next Australia day

mac_man_luke

Lots of good spots around but if you want facilities your pretty much limited to caravan parks etc (and likely no fires then)

Spots at Mannum, Walkers flat, Morgan, Hogwash bend, Overland corner, Heading cliffs near renmark
Im sure there are more but thats some ideas

dno67

Very interesting bloke
The book about possum, is a good read if you can get hold of a copy. It's by Max jones, a country detective that investigated possum as a possible crime suspect, but ended up piecing possums life story together.