SA - Kangaroo Island Camping Advice

Zamunda

Hey Everyone

Thinking of doing some camping in KI this month. Got about 5 days available before the Christmas holidays.

Any suggestions on 4x4 access, secluded camp sites? Preferably by water. Lagoon or river front.
Also any suggestions on 4x4 tracks to do or just off road tracks will be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

mikehzz

I found everything on Kangaroo Island was pretty regulated with paid campsites only. Also, not a lot of 4wding just 2wd dirt roads. It was hit hard by bushfires so a lot might be closed. The ferry crossing fees are really expensive

Hewy54

I found everything on Kangaroo Island was pretty regulated with paid campsites only. Also, not a lot of 4wding just 2wd dirt roads. It was hit hard by bushfires so a lot might be closed. The ferry crossing fees are really expensive
Ferry fees are relative - about $500 for the return for car and camper.
Not much is closed anymore but some has been burnt out. It is an ideal time to visit the island to see the aftermath of the fires and to appreciate the regeneration. Flinders chase was destroyed completely, but has reopened and is an eye opener to see in its present state.
Not much 4 wd tracks or free camping but a fantastic place to visit.
51% of the island was not directly fire affected.
( just spent 11 months over there volunteering with Blazeaid)

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Dearest ferry ride per km in Oz, well, maybe Jardine ferry wins that one, but still exy.
Yes, not much public camping wherever you like, councils have that pretty well eliminated most places, so just find some relatively cheap stays and work with it.
I have only been there once on a bit of a tour, many years ago, so no recent experience.
Been a few times on foot via the ferry to the farmers market though, good half day out.

Grippy

We were over there a couple of months back, bloody great place. Didn't see much in the way of camping. Was chatting to old mate there about tracks, apparently some over on the western side of the island, nothing hard, however the whole western side was torched and most roads apart from the one to Remarkable Rocks and the Arch were closed.
Still a good place to get to and spend some dollars for the local economy