Change background image

S.A. beach camping

Discussion in 'Trips' started by stackner, Apr 1, 2018.

1. stackner

stackner New Member

is there anywhere in S.A. preferably the south/east side of adelaide but ANYWHERE in S.A. that you can camp on the actual beach not just up in the dunes behind the beach?

thanks in advance.

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

you would have to go south of salt creek or north to yorks i reckon to actually camp on the beach

3. stackner

stackner New Member

cheers mate. done a trip recently (from melbourne) through carp rocks, beachport, robe to kingston s.e. enjoyed the camping but would love to find somewhere to camp on the actual beach even just once.

4. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

There are a few spots in there you can camp on the beach, mostly around beachport with the right tides. Otherwise lots of options between Kingston and Salt creek.
    Otherwise on yorks few beaches like Pt vic etc that you can camp on.

5. melveee

melveee Member

Without the protection of the dunes, beach camping can get pretty rough. Setting up camp is annoying because of the wind and everything will be covered in a layer of sticky salty residue by the morning. Well that's my experience with beach camping anyways.

Jaye likes this.
  6. BarKer

BarKer Active Member

I was thinking that.. But I guess you'd have to do it atleast once...

7. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was driving along the beach near Salt Creek a few years ago and there were quite a few tents set up on the beach and it was blowing a gale. It didn't look appealing at all.

8. melveee

melveee Member

True that. It's the same as camping in heavy snow. I hate the cold and know it's gonna suck but it's still on my bucket list :confused:

9. stackner

stackner New Member

shame we stopped at kingston s.e. read up what we could before leaving. found info the the kingston s.e. website in a pdf saying you could camp there on a specific section of beach only to get there and find no camping signs lol. had no idea about further on towards salt creek.

10. stackner

stackner New Member

yeah you gota do it once. done light snow and that was COLD but still want to do full on snow camp one night.

11. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Like any camping, you have to try and get protection from the wind. I remember years ago camping at Kilcunda, Victoria , when we were allowed to camp there. We set up five camps together behind the dunes, so wind off the ocean did not trouble us much at all. Easier to set up behind dunes than being exposed directly on the beach front. If you have trees, even small ones, with scrub, etc. that helps a lot as well.

12. puzzle

puzzle Member

Lipson Cove
    Lincoln national park

13. Ben Macleod

Ben Macleod New Member

Balgowan through Moonta would have to be my favourite spot North of Adelaide. Plenty of spots to setup camp.