Running it dry

I dont run my 75merc dry I have never had a problem with it but i have to replace the fuel at the end of winter before i take it out in spring as the fuel goes stale. so i make sure the fuel tanks are empty and the fuel line disconected over the winter break. I use the 2stroke fuel in the car fuel tank at about 1lt per 50lts and never had a problem

I've never run mine dry. I don't like the idea of everything drying up in terms of lack of lubrication and the seals/rubber along with getting fuel through again. Had my brand new 25hp mercury for about 3 years now, and it fires up first time every time even after sitting for 6 months at a time. I've got fuel that I mixed up over a year ago that it still runs on no problems.

It's not that hard to remove a carby and clean it every now and again, or just give it a good flogging seems to work fine

Aaron

cam04

If you are leaving a carb for 6 months without use I'd refer you to the 'winterizing' part of your engine manual -

"It is extremely important to ensure that the fuel system is completely drained. If not completely drained, deposits (gum, varnish, etc.) may form inside the carburetor.

To drain the fuel from the carburetor you can use one of these techniques:
As the fuel begins to run out and the motor starts to "die", choke the engine a little until the RPMs pick back up. Continue choking the engine as the engine starts to die out until the fuel supply is finally exhausted.

-or-
Remove the drain screw from the carburetor bowl and allow all fuel to drain out. Replace the screw when finished. Although this technique requires a bit more effort than the first, it is recommended to use this procedure to fully ensure that all fuel has been removed from the carburettor."

If it's good enough for the manufacturer, it's good enough for me.

Batts88

Some yrs ago when I had a boat I was advised to put 2 + 4 engine conditioner which is for winter storage etc in an old 115hp Johnson 2 stroke when I had it serviced at a dealer a little while after I bought it. The previous owner left old fuel in it don't know how old it was and it took 5 or 6 goes to start every time. It made a big difference it would start 1st or 2nd go when cold after that.

cam04

Some yrs ago when I had a boat I was advised to put 2 + 4 engine conditioner which is for winter storage etc in an old 115hp Johnson 2 stroke when I had it serviced at a dealer a little while after I bought it. The previous owner left old fuel in it don't know how old it was and it took 5 or 6 goes to start every time. It made a big difference it would start 1st or 2nd go when cold after that.
I had a Johnson ocean runner on a cruisecraft outsider - was a pretty reliable thing and loved a drink. We (it and I) went through a phase where if I hit the trim switch in the binnacle with a wet hand I'd get a bloody great jolt of 12v. Turned out to be a crushed wire but it kept me on my toes there for a while haha. I never ran the bigger motors dry - the fuel lines weren't even removeable.