Running half an Outback drawer set

John U

G'day Earth experts.

I have a full set of ARB Outback drawers in the back of my Ranger. I've been flip flipping around, thinking about removing them for a while as my Ranger is pretty hefty. I reckon this is somewhere I could save a bit of weight without loosing too much function, or even gaining a bit, and at little cost.

The convenience of the drawers isn't lost on me though. So, had a thought to only run the drawers on one side and pull the other side out.

Some well finished set ups I've seen that are being run like this looked to be a purpose built kit. I rang ARB to see if they a kit to change the drawers from full set to a half set and they said there was 'nothing for that purpose. It's a modular set up and you should be able to run it how you like.'

I'm just wondering if anyone with a full drawer set has pulled out half and run it as half a drawer set?

One thing that looked like it might be an issue was the 2 steel -u- shaped beams that run across the top and underneath the drawers. The framework that the drawers sit in. Have been told that these aren't easy to get hold of. I reckon I might need to cut these to a go a half drawer set.

Grippy

It's a tricky one mate, I had drawers in my rig and loved em, however ripped em out a few weeks back and love it!
Shit that was in the drawers is in some small stackable tubs, seem to have more space left, and no rattles, plus it's a lot lighter, and I didn't realise the crap I seemed to carry around in them all the time

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I never had full drawers, just went straight for a half draw set, with fuel and water tanks in front (drawers made same height).

Take a look at what I did, was VERY light compared to commercial drawers, waterproof (to the top of drawers), and less wasted space to top it off !

sparksy

One thing to look at is how rigid are they if you split then. Ive a single drawer in my prado and had to reinforce the side to stop sideways moving. Its only a 4wd supercentre drawer but you might find you have same problems if you split a dual unit.

Triton14

Im looking at one of these from Bunnings, they look to be the same as the UK version of the Van Vault-

The bunnings site does not state weight but I believe they are 50kg??

Not sure how that compares to other draw brands of a similar size??

There is also a wider model that is not as high-

cam04

Im looking at one of these from Bunnings, they look to be the same as the UK version of the Van Vault-

Some of the utes at work have them. They are pretty heavy but quite solid. They bang against the locking mechanism a bit.

Triton14

Some of the utes at work have them. They are pretty heavy but quite solid. They bang against the locking mechanism a bit.
Cheers.
But all draws are heavy & I think some have some sort of issue with various parts like rollers etc.

These are more $$ than the titans but I'd rather a better draw than save few $$

red hilux

Boss has one in the van for work.
Broken already after a couple months

Albynsw

I don’t think that Bunnings set will solve your weight problem
The lightest and cheapest setup is to make a false shelf that is specifically made to suit a particular plastic tub of your liking
That is how I have done mine
The depth is 1200 deep and takes two 600 deep x 400 wide tubs each side with up to another 4 tubs on top if needed
Total weight is the plastic tubs plus 1 sheet of 12mm ply and associated fixings

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
My link above (post #3) solves the weight issue, pretty much tells you how to get them custom made using 2 places.
A sheet metal fabricator.
A plastics fabricator.
Just a little time and thought working out what you want and ensuring just a little wriggle room onto (edit, sorry OFF !) the drawer sizes.
Less weight, more room, nothing to break or wear out, slide easily . . . what more could you want ?

Last edited: