Change background image

Roof top tent conversion

Discussion in 'Camping Trailers' started by Daroo, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Daroo

Daroo New Member

Hey all

I am thinking about purchasing a second hand camper trailer. Maybe a black series alpha or MDC Tbox soft floor and putting a frame on it and buying a large roof top tent. Thinking the 2.2m wide ones
    Just wondering if anyone has done similar. Is it hard to remove the canvas tent and then water proofing the top and putting a frame on it?

What everyone thoughts on roof top tents and small children. Might be worth waiting a little while till they get older. Currently new born and 3.
    I just like the idea of the really quick set up and the view from the tent will be nice one near the beach.

2. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

Roof top with young kids like that could end in tears .

3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

It is a call you can only make yourself
    I have travelled with families with young kids and RTT and they have been fine but you have to be comfortable with the access issue and potential accidents
    Take a Mallamoo tent as well that you can use for day sleeps etc

4. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

just tie a short rope around the kids legs so they don't hit the ground if they fall out -- a la bungy;)

silkwood, Batts88 and Bomber2012 like this.
  5. Daroo

Daroo New Member

Thanks for the ideas. The bungy idea the kids might not be too keen on.
    I think maybe I will go for a normal soft floor camper until they get old enough and then convert it to a roof top version when they get older

Batts88 and Bomber2012 like this.
  6. Bigfish1

Bigfish1 Member

I have a soft top camper and removed the canvas tent , annex, cover and baseboard completely. Sold it for $1000. I found it a pain the bum to erect and take down especially if only doing overnight stops. I put a sheet of 3mm aliminium chequerplate on the lid and fitted a Kings roof top tent. Hallelujah...how bloody easy is this!! Allows me to carry my 15hp outboard on the lid as well. Also only takes about a minute to alter if I have to lift the lid to gain entry to the trailer contents. Ideal for myself or 2 people. If you got a large roof top tent can see no reason why the small kids cant fit in it. The flyscreen stays shut so 3 year old wont fall out.

itlldoo likes this.
  7. Daroo

Daroo New Member

Awesome. This is exactly what I was wanting to do. You don’t have any pictures that you can share of your set up do you?

8. Bigfish1

Bigfish1 Member

Best if you send me your e-mail address and I can send photos that you can expand with good clarity to see how I arranged it.

ggfc@bigpond.com

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018