Roof top tent and a tinny

J.Harrison

Just getting into fishing and love spending a few hours into the night sitting on the beach waiting for a run. But what i'd love more is to be able to stay the night and not drive home at 10 or 11pm dodging kangaroos.
I've pretty much decided on a rooftop tent (i'm gonna get the kings one because $$$).
I do want to get out on the water too though so i'm thinking a kayak that i can tow on a light trailer and launch easily but my wife wants a tinny so she can come out too. The trouble is, if the car and tent are set up how do i launch and retrieve the boat. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

Cheers.
J

RBJET

Get a hard shell roof top tent that takes seconds to pack up. That way you can just shut the lid when you need to get the boat.

Albynsw

Second that, the hard shell RTT’s are the best and you are packed up in under 30 seconds to launch your boat

Kippie

Agree with the previous posts. I have a James Baroud Space. You can get a used one for less than a new Kings hardtop.

John U

What's the weight of a hard-shell roof top and a tinny? How's you're centre of gravity going to be with all that up there? Will your vehicle take it?

Would a double stretcher tent do the job for you? With help from the missus it'd be a pretty quick set up. Doesn't need to be loaded to roof permanently. Scheidt load cheaper. Won't impact your fuel usage.

J.Harrison

What's the weight of a hard-shell roof top and a tinny? How's you're centre of gravity going to be with all that up there? Will your vehicle take it?

Would a double stretcher tent do the job for you? With help from the missus it'd be a pretty quick set up. Doesn't need to be loaded to roof permanently. Scheidt load cheaper. Won't impact your fuel usage.
Tinny will be on a trailer being towed.

Hoyks

You can drive a short distance with the tent set up.
I pull the 2 pegs that hold the ladder end down out of the ground and hook the ladder up so its clear of the ground and crawl around slowly, or fold the tent flat, do what I need to do and then park it again.

Make sure the ladder is clear of the trailer as I'm pretty sure the trailer will win.

My preferred option is to find a spot away from the crowds and leave the boat on the water.

J.Harrison

You can drive a short distance with the tent set up.
I pull the 2 pegs that hold the ladder end down out of the ground and hook the ladder up so its clear of the ground and crawl around slowly, or fold the tent flat, do what I need to do and then park it again.

Make sure the ladder is clear of the trailer as I'm pretty sure the trailer will win.

My preferred option is to find a spot away from the crowds and leave the boat on the water.
Actually, this makes sense. They designed to handle some wind so I guess driving at 10 or 15 km/h on the beach shouldn’t cause any problems.

Hoyks

:)
I was thinking roof top tent with a tinny on top of that.
I used to do it... with a kayak.
Although, strictly speaking, my roof top tent isn't quite on the roof.

index.php