Roof rack installation

RAYGin

going to attempt to attach the roof rack i got from Facebook to my navara but unsure as the guy I bought it from said he had it pop rivet to his roof is this correct. Please help a guy out cheers

Batts88

See if you can find fitting instructions online to suit your vehicle and that brand of roof rack I don't have a Navara but did fit roof racks yrs ago and each manufacturer has their own idea as to what suits some brackets get riveted in place some use captive nuts or rails.

RAYGin

See if you can find fitting instructions online to suit your vehicle and that brand of roof rack I don't have a Navara but did fit roof racks yrs ago and each manufacturer has their own idea as to what suits some brackets get riveted in place some use captive nuts or rails.
Thanks will look into that

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
going to attempt to attach the roof rack i got from Facebook to my navara but unsure as the guy I bought it from said he had it pop rivet to his roof is this correct. Please help a guy out cheers

I'm sure it wouldn't be pop rivets he used, but as Batts88 suggested probably captive nuts.
They are put in by a pop rivet type gun, in various sizes, I'd say IF you were going to do this, you'd need a larger 10mm or 12mm bolt / nut size.

What sort of roof rack is it ?
Is it a single bar for on the cab roof ?
Do you have a photo ? Or can you find it on the manufacturers site and post a link ?

MrMiller

I’d stay clear of pop rivets for a roof rack install… I wouldn’t trust them off road. Or at all for that matter. In an accident they would rip straight out! That’s obviously just my opinion. But from what I’ve been hearing about all this malarkey with the Rhino Racks being installed with pop rivets and ending in tears I think it holds water. Ronny Dahl on YouTube has some pretty good info on it.
if it were me I’d drill through the roof and bolt it down with backing plates. You’d have a hard time ripping those out. But like I said… it’s only my opinion.

Chatty

I'm sure it wouldn't be pop rivets he used, but as Batts88 suggested probably captive nuts.
They are put in by a pop rivet type gun, in various sizes, I'd say IF you were going to do this, you'd need a larger 10mm or 12mm bolt / nut size.
And my experience with them has been that the larger sizes - I count 10/12mm as 'larger' - can be hard to set properly to ensure that you get adequate deformation of the nut behind the panel to provide the required "grip". most of the nuts are aluminium, so they are very easy to strip the threads - especially at high loads which are typical for roof racks.

Albynsw

Gluing them on with an adhesive polyurethane is going to be much stronger option and will never come off. You just won’t be able to remove the spines off the roof without damaging the surface but that is probably never going to happen unless you have panel damage from an accident and you will be repainting anyway

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
And my experience with them has been that the larger sizes - I count 10/12mm as 'larger' - can be hard to set properly to ensure that you get adequate deformation of the nut behind the panel to provide the required "grip". most of the nuts are aluminium, so they are very easy to strip the threads - especially at high loads which are typical for roof racks.
Agree mate, I'd say 12mm would be fine for a roof rack, if it was suitable for OPs intended use (light bar, antenna, NO loads such as platform etc).
Agree, you have to set them well, and that's not as easy as using a pop rivet gun.

I installed a couple of larger solar panels on a blokes big van a couple of years ago, used brackets directly to the roof with captive nuts, a little silicone sealer around the nut edges, and perimeter sealed the solar panels to help keep wind noise down.

Even then, for this purpose if the OP was going to do outback roads, no way.

Gluing them on with an adhesive polyurethane is going to be much stronger option and will never come off. You just won’t be able to remove the spines off the roof without damaging the surface but that is probably never going to happen unless you have panel damage from an accident and you will be repainting anyway

I would say a combo of urethane and some mechanical attachment, like some captive nuts / bolts.
But again without knowing what the use is, or what type of roads the OP will be driving, I'd say impossible to give an ironclad recommendation.

Petunia

Remove hood lining or drop it from edges to get your mits in there, M8 bolts/nuts big washers/plates/brackets or all 3 inside roof.
8 tubes of black silicone/sikaflex of your choice, so you at least get some on your elbow, some on your shirt, some under your shoe transferring it to the lounge carpet and a smear on the dog. :cool: