Rollover - It can happen this easily - Take care over the Xmas Break

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
yes, keep the loose (and especially heavy) crap to a minimum inside the cabin!!!

Indeed, there were some people in a country town that were getting TIN's ( Traffic Infringement Notices ) for not adequately storing shopping - believe it or not, actually made the news

cheers

billolga

yes, keep the loose (and especially heavy) crap to a minimum inside the cabin!!!

On the Gibb River road not far from El Questro we saw a Troopy upside down & the tent poles had gone through the windscreen missing two adults & a baby!:eek:

They suffered shock only.

banshee

In all the times I have been to Birdsville I have only been there once when there wasn't a rollover at the Garage.
One year they said they had 7 in 7 days & the roads around there are good.

I was at Mt Dare & saw a 100 series with 450 kms from brand new that had been rolled over by a German couple & the hire company dropped in a new one & dragged the "old one" out.

What's interesting to me is that when I was young (O.K - O.K I know, that was when JC played fullback for Jerusalem) ALL the roads were dirt including Highway 1 & I can't remember seeing rollovers.

I will not drive over 80 kph on dirt roads at any time.

Bit hard to really rollover a horse and buggy...usually the horse slows down...lol

Couldn't resist...:p

cptmud

The main message is take it easy, taking extra time to get somewhere will not kill anyone. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.
We can all our 2 cents worth about what happened, yes speed was probably part of the cause, but by the cars actions just before the accident, im thinking maybe a tyre blew and was a major cause.

peterabbf

when the road from Adelaide to Perth was still dirt. There was a garage about half way. The road was dusty and full off bog holes of fine chalk like dust that cars would bottom out, rebound and roll . travelers were warned about the dangers of going too fast but this didn't stop this out back servo station turning into the biggest collection of rusty old damaged roll over wrecks Australia has left in one place . I would love to find it one day, I have only seen photos .

all because they drove beyond the road conditions. I am staying home this Christmas and I think I will continue to do this and holiday off peak because every single time I travel 3000kms over the xmas break I have some kind of near miss from an oncoming car cutting the fine line . The last time was on top of kroombit national park and the descending drivers going so fast they used my side of the track forcing me off it on a blind corner when they should have been in low range 2nd .

Its sad to say but the many only learn the hard way. With the torque of todays 4x4 its extremely easy to brake traction powering out of a dirt corner . but as said before it looks like he has not as he is blameing the council . one lesson unlearnt.

This guy could have saved lives , he could have accepted his speed related misjudgment and contacted the media in a hope to use it as a life saving advertisement . I would be proud of him to see him do this and I think I would not be alone .

Hey Muc the truck go and and have a look for this one, this is what you were talking about, its an old station in the bush on the old highway 1 "http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/69261414.jpg"

or have a look for this one
"Vehicles that didn't make it across the Nullarbor - Koonalda Homestead"

Peter A.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/69261414.jpg

cac

Had a somewhat similar incident myself not all that long ago, though according to the government, I was driving safely, cos I wasn't speeding :)....

came around a left hand bend, and there was some potholes/road imperfections on the inside of the corner that had been repaired poorly, with loose gravel still on top of them, as I hit them the tail of the car stepped out, and I started fishtailing before sliding down the road sideways....damn lucky not to roll it, and also that there was no traffic coming the other way.....

I definitely had a complacent moment, though i believe that there is never just one factor that causes an accident/near miss/loss of control, I was going a bit fast, didn't see the potholes til it was too late (no signposts for loose gravel on road either), and the suspension on the vehicle wasn't in great nick.....take any one of those factors away, and it would probably be a different situation....

prior to that little incident, I would have said that I do drive to the conditions all the time, though clearly that needs amending to most of the the time, as otherwise I wouldn't have had this little off......I wonder if the same applies to the driver of the vehicle in question....

I probably would also have offered my "expert opinion" on the matter previously too.....instead I have an experience of how the same thing almost happened to me....

austastar

Hi,
I don't have a video, and I wasn't going any where near that speed. Road was wet, hit a patch of clay (already in 4wd in a Toyota Cruiser Ute) and damn near did the same thing.
Drive carefully out there my friends, the Dragon will getcha when you least expect it.

cheers

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Had a somewhat similar incident myself not all that long ago, though according to the government, I was driving safely, cos I wasn't speeding :)....

came around a left hand bend, and there was some potholes/road imperfections on the inside of the corner that had been repaired poorly, with loose gravel still on top of them, as I hit them the tail of the car stepped out, and I started fishtailing before sliding down the road sideways....damn lucky not to roll it, and also that there was no traffic coming the other way.....

I definitely had a complacent moment, though i believe that there is never just one factor that causes an accident/near miss/loss of control, I was going a bit fast, didn't see the potholes til it was too late (no signposts for loose gravel on road either), and the suspension on the vehicle wasn't in great nick.....take any one of those factors away, and it would probably be a different situation....

prior to that little incident, I would have said that I do drive to the conditions all the time, though clearly that needs amending to most of the the time, as otherwise I wouldn't have had this little off......I wonder if the same applies to the driver of the vehicle in question....

I probably would also have offered my "expert opinion" on the matter previously too.....instead I have an experience of how the same thing almost happened to me....

Fishtailing. Now there is a key to lots of spin outs, rollovers, run offs etc. So when a vehicle broadsides out, do you over correct and it goes the other way? Most likely, even if you have the best of stability control, abs, etc. etc.
My advice is go do a defensive and advanced driving course. Learn how to control slides, spinouts etc. on a skid pan.
If you know what you are doing and not relying on vehicle options, capabilities etc. you will actually feel the vehicle just before it lets go, even on wet bitumen. Takes lots of driving experience but sadly today people reckon cars' technology will save you. Doh!
Can tell you lots about personal experience, however here is one. One of my daughters came around a roundabout in her GTHO. It was wet, she accelerated hard and spun out, overcorrected about three times and eventually wrapped herself around a tree.
I then sent her to advanced defensive driving and in her own words, " Dad if I had of done this course before I would not of had the accident"
P.S. My other four kids also did the course.
Buy yourself the best pressy you could ever have.

Last edited:

Pork Hunt

I think he was driving too fast.
If he wasn't driving too fast he could of seen "The heavy overburden of gravel and incorrect camber
on this section of road"
He had never driven this road before??
Didn't look to me he was out on a 4X4 adventure...

For example you are out and about drive through a small creek and get washed away. "Council should have built a bridge"
It was a serious accident, but the video made fun of it, where was the kangaroo?
Take responsibility of your own actions people, we all make mistakes.

TroopiePete

LOL love all of the X-Spirt comments :p
Yes he was going too fast but how fast is too fast?
Previously the road was fine so up until that point he was not driving too fast - LOL
I think we could all say that we have been in that situation - especially on dirt roads but it can happen just as fast on the tar - how many times have you started to drift a little or seen others do it close to you?
I know I have traveled on the Birdsville track between 80 and 100K/H but on that road corners are quite clear so you have the time to slow down..
Mate of ours managed to do a complete roll over in a Hummer H3 on the road out to Chamber Pillar - again yes he may have been going too fast but so were the rest of us.. he was just unlucky - shit happens!

The kid in the back reminds me of a rollover my Wife had in an old van of ours, our Daughter wanted to sit in the back row seat against the window, my Wife insisted she sat in the middle row and in the middle seat and lucky she did as that window blew out dragging the content of the car out with it!

Lets all just be a little more aware of sudden changes to the road and be alert as Australia needs more lerts :eek:

Wanderer80

Part time 4WD

From the first viewing of this video I noticed the barn doors, which means it was a standard model 100 series which in turn means it is part time 4WD. If this same set of circumstances had happened in a full time 4WD model there's every chance this accident would never have happened at all. I believe that full time 4WD is much less likely to break free at the rear end with all 4 wheels driving.

I think their are lot of drivers with part time 4WD who will not bother locking the front hubs and shifting to 4WD just because the road is a twisty road with lots of loose gravel, they don't realize how much safer it would be with all wheels driving the car forward.

I would welcome any comments on this subject, I know that full time 4WD's can still be rolled over on loose gravel road but they have to be driven a lot faster to do so, or have an inexperienced driver behind the wheel.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
From the first viewing of this video I noticed the barn doors, which means it was a standard model 100 series which in turn means it is part time 4WD. If this same set of circumstances had happened in a full time 4WD model there's every chance this accident would never have happened at all. I believe that full time 4WD is much less likely to break free at the rear end with all 4 wheels driving.

I think their are lot of drivers with part time 4WD who will not bother locking the front hubs and shifting to 4WD just because the road is a twisty road with lots of loose gravel, they don't realize how much safer it would be with all wheels driving the car forward.

I would welcome any comments on this subject, I know that full time 4WD's can still be rolled over on loose gravel road but they have to be driven a lot faster to do so, or have an inexperienced driver behind the wheel.

Inexperienced driver????
What constitutes an inexperienced driver?
I believe that most of us reckon we are the best drivers.
My challenge is , go do a defensive/advanced driving course and then answer my question.
Part of it is skill, part of it is training and maybe lots of it is years of driving experience.

jack doff

I think everyone will have an opinion on that video.

Myself, I thought in the first 10 seconds, "that bloke is goin too quick, no margin for error'
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad everyone was ok, but I wouldn't want to be travelling with someone who doesn't drive to the conditions. Wouldn't want to be coming the other way either. I have been wrapped around a tree by someone who wasn't driving to the conditions, 3 weeks in hospital, thank you.
Does he really need to try to sue someone for his own actions?? Maybe thats just the world we live in now?? Sad really.
People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Odd sort of a thing to film tho. . .

Jack

Wanderer80

Inexperienced driver????
What constitutes an inexperienced driver?
I believe that most of us reckon we are the best drivers.
My challenge is , go do a defensive/advanced driving course and then answer my question.
Part of it is skill, part of it is training and maybe lots of it is years of driving experience.

Hi Rogerazz, yeah I guess experience in the circumstances is what I was referring to, in this accident someone experienced in driving in loose conditions on a winding roads would know what it feels like to have the back end of the vehicle break loose and would turn into the skid and gently back off the throttle. An inexperienced person would slam on the brakes and make the car slide out further to the point where it rolls over.

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Rogerazz, yeah I guess experience in the circumstances is what I was referring to, in this accident someone experienced in driving in loose conditions on a winding roads would know what it feels like to have the back end of the vehicle break loose and would turn into the skid and gently back of the throttle. An inexperienced person would slam on the brakes and make the car slide out further to the point where it rolls over.

Yeah, good one.
Take care mate.
Happy new year to you and yours.

Patriot

Administrator
There was a study that should that 88% of drivers think they are in the top 50%! The point of the video is to get everyone thinking. I don't thin I am the only one who has been in a similar situation. Most of the time it is OK and we put that down to our great driving skill, but really we were just lucky. We should all take it a little easier.

How many people would have had this accident and not shared the footage. Good on him for sharing and making the rest of us have a think about how we drive.

HNE!
James