Rodeo loses power

Luthy

Hi all well just drove down to sydney and back and had a few problems with the rodeo. It started with me going uphill on the m1 and just got worse as I went (mind you this was to drop my father off for an international flight so he wasn't impressed). So what happens is it runs fine for awhile then if I try and accelerate it basically wont go and actually slows down. It would also shudder almost like it wasn't getting enough fuel. So I pulled over and checked the fuel filler thingy to see if there was a vacuum in the tank. Off I go again runs fine for abit then starts again. So next time I shut the engine of and check fuel filler thing again and runs fine again for abit then losses power when accelerating again. So stop at lights shut down motor restart and all good for a few kays and same thing. So next I go to servo fill up with some 98 just in case had some bad fuel or vacuum in tank and it runs fine for abit then does it again. I also noticed some transmission oil coming out of the overflow hose that leads into the chassis ( which is a stupid place to put an overflow hose on a 4wd) and wondered if this might be a cause (or another problem). So tomorrow I am changing fuel filter, checking charcaol canister and checking anything else that looks "strange". If anyone has had anything like this any help would be appreciated.

Luthy

Swaggie

Im only guessing here mate, but what about the fuel pump. Also the fuel line can accumulate rubbish in it restricting flow.
How often do you Service the fuel filter, oil filter and oil etc...

Cheers

muc the truck

Eliminate spark leakage at night in pitch dark look at the engine running . in daylight it can be done with a canvas tarp . usually a blue hue can be seen around coils or spark plugs , leads etc.

If its a fuel cap vent issue buy a new one .

Albynsw

Doesn't sound like a vent cap issue to me more of a fuel starvation problem. Does it seem more an issue when under load as in looking to suck more fuel?
Maybe blocked filter or some other restriction ?

1. At idle how does it run ?

2. Is the misfire or hesitation more evident under light acceleration?

3. Is the fault more evident when it's hot or cold?

4. If you put the car handbrake on and put the car in gear foot on the brake and slowly press down on the accelerator peddle. Does the load make it misfire more? Don't hold it like that for to long though and find allow it to break traction. Also only works for auto.

Luthy

Well I service it every 10k with new filters all the time. The fuel pump was replaced around 40k ago so shouldn't be that and it would be harder to start/run with a broken pump. Plugs and leads get replaced every 40k and they were done at 200k so should have another 10k till replacement.

I too think it must be a fuel starvation thing as it is only under load when it does it. When idleing it runs fine only when I try and get it above 2500 rpm is when it happens ie up hills, kicking back a gear or when accelerating from a slow speed.
Also the fault seems more when its a hot day and have been driving for abit.

When it happens I can stop and put it into park and it will rev fine but put it in gear and it'll do it again. Only when I switch of motor and start again it'll be good for awhile. I am replacing the fuel filter today ( just incase i had some bad fuel) and checking the rest of the lines, charcoal can and anything else related to the air/fuel ignition.

I was talking to a mate who has alot of the v6 alloytecs in there company and a valve I think he called a PMW valve which allows fuel vapours to be allowed into the intake manifold sometimes gets bloked at high kays and that might be the cause.

Thanks all for your help.
Luthy

dno67

Couple of others things to consider.
Coil pack.
O2 sensor on its way out.
Another one that took some finding once, was the strainer filter inside the tank on the pickup was blocked, fine mesh filter. It let enough fuel threw when not working hard
but caused problems under load, main filters were clean as the mesh was that dirty
the crap couldn't make it's way up the line.

Last edited:
To me I would say you most likely have a coil pack failing . The fact it worsens as it gets hotter pretty much confirms it to me.
Do you know anyone with a scan tool ?

Luthy

Yeah my mechanic will run the machine over it for me for nothing. Might go and see him tomorrow after work and see if he can find any codes that come up.
Will let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help.
Luthy

A failing coil will often cause a misfire under load that will worsen as it gets hotter.
I'm just going by what he has said to me that would be what I would check.
All he needs to do is check with a scan tool see if he has a misfire in one of the cylinders
If he does mark that coil swap it to another cylinder retest see if the fault follows that coil.

Last edited:

Luthy

Well been 3 days now and the problem hasn't occurred. I've been to mechanic and its booked in on Friday for a look and change coil packs (yes 6 of the buggers) and plugs. Fuel filter was changed and the rest of the lines are fine.

Thanks all
Luthy

Well been 3 days now and the problem hasn't occurred. I've been to mechanic and its booked in on Friday for a look and change coil packs (yes 6 of the buggers) and plugs. Fuel filter was changed and the rest of the lines are fine.

Thanks all

Luthy

Why replace all 6 ?
Aren't they individual coil packs ?

muc the truck

Thanks all
Luthy
early v6 commodore msd ones fit the 3.2

Luthy

Yep they are individual coil packs 6cyl=6 coils. Its basically the same motor as a vz commodore and if I replace just 1 who knows when the next one might fail so for peace of mind ill just replace the lot and plugs.

Luthy

dno67

There's probably just as much chance of a new coil pack prematurely failing as the ones already fitted,
some will last the life of the vehicle and some less than a 100,000.
We've had several holden V6's do 300 + thousand and never do a coil pack.

muc the truck

Yep they are individual coil packs 6cyl=6 coils. Its basically the same motor as a vz commodore and if I replace just 1 who knows when the next one might fail so for peace of mind ill just replace the lot and plugs.

Luthy

My brother replaced one new coil 130,000kms ago , no issue since in his advantra . when its playing up disconnect one coil at a time and reconnect until you find one with no change . that's the bad one .

Luthy

Ok so took it to mechanic on fri and the fault that came up was a oil pressure switch. No misfires at all and the problem hasn't occured scince. Ordered new switch and the one sent was wrong. So he said he will ring holden and see if it needs to be a genuine part or he can cut the wires and put another one in. (Apparently the original switch was to expensive to re make so its easier to cut the wires and replace with a vz commodore switch as on Bursons parts catalog). The good thing is he put it on the hoist to find the switch location and we checked the rack ends and well now I need to do wheel bearings both sides, top control arm bushes, new rackends and lower suspension bushes (which I just done). So now its on to flea bay for some parts and me trying to explain to the missus that I NEED to spend more money on the truck haha. If only she let me keep the torana.........

Luthy

Swaggie

Hi Luthy

Its funny people can guess this and that to help out and it's completely something else :eek:, that's bloody cars for ya... Lol

Cheers