Rodeo front diff wont engage

Luthy

Haha yeah thats what I was told and not to mention the $110 an hour just to look at it from multiple places. What rodeo model have you got? Mines an RA 06 dualcab. Ok does your light flash when going into h4 but u can then engage 4l with only rear wheels in l4? (get it on dirt and tramp it. Then see wat wheels spun.) If so its definitely a promblem with your front actuator. Can you hear the actuator clicking or makin noises when engage h4? If its like mine I am pretty sure its all electric (sorry just installed bash plates makes it hard to see it)so no vacuum lines only a breather. If you have no other problems with your engine I would say you will not need a remap. (They'd probably say they done it and charge u a bomb). There is also the TCM (transfer control module) Under the front drivers seat but unless u have a check 4wd light on I wouldnt worry with it. It also makes a click when disengaging h4 back to h2 so keep an ear out for it too. Even try getting someone under the front to listen to the actuator while engaging h4/h2 just don't have it in gear and hand brake on. Oh and Golden dealer repairs are a ripoff. Even get them to check the actuator and get them to get the part no. And reinstall it then go to Isuzu and quote the part no. And get it delivered then put it on in a couple of days. Thats wat I did and saved the 20% extra on parts.

When i did get the part installed it took 5 mins and he wasnt going to charge me after all the stuff around so it ending up costing me a carton.

Hope it helps.
Luthy

Last edited:

morrislyda

That is good input. So there are 4 potential focus points:
1) front actuator,
2) rear actuator,
3) vacuum and
4) TCM.
My problem is characterized by a flashing light when I hit 4H.
If I hit 4L, both light flash, but in time & multiple pressings - will generally connect with a couple of thuds. Just hitting 4H does the same thing, but takes longer. I had it at the mechanic on the rack & everything worked perfectly, but when he brought it down - everything went wobbly again. I have found the rear actuator, and it looks good - I will try to find the front actuator today & report back to you. I wil also check the vacuum line to insure I have good flow there. Thanks for the tips.

melashcam

Hi, I could use some advice on this problem with my 2007 rodeo. My light flashes and it won't go into 4x4 high or low. ( the check 4wd light does not light up.) have reset but still nothing. Not sure where actuators are located . ( first 4wd I've owned) from what I'm reading here there's a vacuum hose to check. And maybe I could see something wrong myself. I'm in Mackay if anyone knows a good person to take it to? ( I have had trouble finding one that knows his stuff and won't rip me off. So I like to walk into there knowing more than nothing . ) thanks heaps

morrislyda

"Hi, I could use some advice on this problem with my 2007 rodeo."
I had a similar problem with my 05 Rodeo. Finally gave in & took it to Holden. They plugged the computer in & this reset the electronics & it has been working ever since the moment. I would certainly try resetting the electronics that are located under the driver seat (I think). After that look for the mechanical problems.

Saraotech

My problem is sort of different. I own a '07 and my Check 4WD light is on. Whenever I press 4H, the light starts blinking really fast but then stops when I let go of the button. I tried getting to the TCM but I can't seem to get the cover plate off. Anyone know what socket I should use?

james96

Hey guys, needing some advice and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem! I have a 2006 3.0 turbo diesel RA Rodeo and have just had rear diff replaced. Upon getting it back, Every time I start my ute the 4wd light flashes at me and then the 4wd light and the 4L light flash but not at the same time. Has no trouble engaging into 4L. But light wont stop flashing when I try and put it back into 2H, but when I take off is in 2wd with light still flashing. I have also noticed and dull ticking noise under drivers side seat and wanted to know if this has anything to do with my 4wd problems. Light goes away but I have to hold in the 2H button where as I used to just press it to disengage. Can anyone help as im sick of this problem and am sick of having to hold the 2wd button and reverse and drive forward everytime I start my ute!

muc the truck

It all looks good under there. Ive had it at 3 different auto elecs and they dont know but they seem to think if they cant find a fault code its something that they can TRY to find and the charge is $110 per hr to look. Two charged me just to hook the computer to it and tell me they got no clue take it to holden ( which I spoke too) and they want even more money to look. My main mechanic got it up on the hoist and checked to see if anything waswrong and even he said it all looks good so he said to take it to this mate if he cant fix he wont charge which for the two days hes had it je hasnt charged me anything. He has told me hes checked all the other modules abs and ecu, while looking for the tcm but was told off two website that he pays 2500 a year to for all the info but they said it under the dash and if its not there take it to holden so for him to check all the others Im ahead. Asked on a forum which charges 60 bucks so far and no help. So for 3 auto leccys and 2 mechanics and a few dollars already with no answer to the problem my faith is starting to fail.

Anyway was just wondering if anyone else had this problem before and if anyone has changed/ trouble shooted a actator?
I'll try the reset the tcm tomorrow when I get home and let you know how it goes but for the msgs to get sent to the transfer case I dont think its the TCM.
Cheers
pretty sure the tcm is under the seat on yours and only under the dash above the foot pedals on 2010 compliance Colorado and dmax on

carl lloyd

My problem is sort of different. I own a '07 and my Check 4WD light is on. Whenever I press 4H, the light starts blinking really fast but then stops when I let go of the button. I tried getting to the TCM but I can't seem to get the cover plate off. Anyone know what socket I should use?
hello did you ever get this prob sorted if so ,can you tell me how, i have got the same symptoms ,thx in advance, carl from wales uk

peterpan33

Hi all,

Well heres the problem, I have a rodeo ra 06 and the front diff wont engage. When I select 4h the light flashes and keeps flashing. I can put it in low range but only in 2wd. When I get someone to push the 4h button I was under the car and can here the actuator on the transfer case working so im pretty sure its not that ( or the transfer control module as the mechanic thinks). I have had it at the mechanics for a couple of days but it is my work car so its not feasable to keep doin that while he trys to figure it out. He actually had no clue were the TCM was until I told him after 2 days of being in the shop. Now its booked in again so he can dismatle the TCM and check it. I have treid all the usual things (rocking it, reverse, forward etc) but cant seem to find anyone who can shed some light on it. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
Its driving me crazy had to miss the stockton run and a couple of other trips not to mention the lovely weekend we just had not 4wding.
Hi Zzee, and all others here, great post, ive been looking for knowledge on this for a bit.

I have the similar problem as Zzee, except, during my troubleshooting I found a blown fuse under bonnet, I tried a new fuse and it blew a few times but the system appeared to work for a moment but then the front actuator stopped working, so changed actuator on the front axle, now as with you, when I engage 4H I hear the actuator work. and when I engage 4L also noises, and I have low range but no 4wd quick check of front prop shaft and it is engaged on 4wd but can still turn a lifted front wheel. Im guessing there's something with the axle internals or vacuum system? anyone got any info on these for me? OR any info on freewheel hubs? is that what the actuator engages?

peterpan33

That is good input. So there are 4 potential focus points:
1) front actuator,
2) rear actuator,
3) vacuum and
4) TCM.
My problem is characterized by a flashing light when I hit 4H.
If I hit 4L, both light flash, but in time & multiple pressings - will generally connect with a couple of thuds. Just hitting 4H does the same thing, but takes longer. I had it at the mechanic on the rack & everything worked perfectly, but when he brought it down - everything went wobbly again. I have found the rear actuator, and it looks good - I will try to find the front actuator today & report back to you. I wil also check the vacuum line to insure I have good flow there. Thanks for the tips.
you can eliminate 3) vacuum as there is no vacuum setup on the rodeo. the pipes are breathers if you follow them they just come up to top of engine bay. :)