Rodeo front diff wont engage

Zzee

Hi all,

Well heres the problem, I have a rodeo ra 06 and the front diff wont engage. When I select 4h the light flashes and keeps flashing. I can put it in low range but only in 2wd. When I get someone to push the 4h button I was under the car and can here the actuator on the transfer case working so im pretty sure its not that ( or the transfer control module as the mechanic thinks). I have had it at the mechanics for a couple of days but it is my work car so its not feasable to keep doin that while he trys to figure it out. He actually had no clue were the TCM was until I told him after 2 days of being in the shop. Now its booked in again so he can dismatle the TCM and check it. I have treid all the usual things (rocking it, reverse, forward etc) but cant seem to find anyone who can shed some light on it. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.
Its driving me crazy had to miss the stockton run and a couple of other trips not to mention the lovely weekend we just had not 4wding.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I don't know the answer to your problem but have you tried contacting Holdens as it may be some known fault. To be honest, if your having to tell the mechanic stuff I would be getting another mechanic - sorry

cheers

Johnnie5

i remember reading somewhere about resetting the 4wd system as it can lose the plot

you need to hold a combination of the buttons for a period of time to reset

i cant remember the procedure but if you google around , its either here or on 4wdaction

i think it was hold all the 4wd buttons foir 30+ secs but cant be sure

edit this might help

Holden Rodeo RA 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 / Isuzu D-max Dmax Check 4wd Light Reset Procedure

Check 4WD Light reset procedure for Isuzu D-Max and Holden Rodeo RA models - YouTube

HOLDEN RODEO 4WD LIGHT RESET PROCEDURE

Last edited:

Zzee

It all looks good under there. Ive had it at 3 different auto elecs and they dont know but they seem to think if they cant find a fault code its something that they can TRY to find and the charge is $110 per hr to look. Two charged me just to hook the computer to it and tell me they got no clue take it to holden ( which I spoke too) and they want even more money to look. My main mechanic got it up on the hoist and checked to see if anything waswrong and even he said it all looks good so he said to take it to this mate if he cant fix he wont charge which for the two days hes had it je hasnt charged me anything. He has told me hes checked all the other modules abs and ecu, while looking for the tcm but was told off two website that he pays 2500 a year to for all the info but they said it under the dash and if its not there take it to holden so for him to check all the others Im ahead. Asked on a forum which charges 60 bucks so far and no help. So for 3 auto leccys and 2 mechanics and a few dollars already with no answer to the problem my faith is starting to fail.

Anyway was just wondering if anyone else had this problem before and if anyone has changed/ trouble shooted a actator?
I'll try the reset the tcm tomorrow when I get home and let you know how it goes but for the msgs to get sent to the transfer case I dont think its the TCM.
Cheers

Last edited:

Zzee

Well had it at mechanics get call faulty TCM so order another new one and get call all fixed. Great go collect car pay money shop shuts bring car home and thinks I better check so go on side of road push 4h and surprise suprise still no front diff engaging.so book it in again for another friday. Plus side is abs light gone off and got a new TCM.

Maybe it'll get a new actuator (like I said when I went there first time) next friday and be able to go for a 4by.

Last edited:

Zzee

Hey another friday and another update......

So finally the mechanic checked the actuator and yep its seized (like I bloody thought). Did a fair bit of research and worked out Its an Isuzu part no. So Holden wanted $759 for it and Isuzu came in at $521 so thats what I got. Part will be in by friday next week so who's up for a trip next weekend? Lol

80lover96gxl

Good to hear you found the sorce of the issue and are in the process of rectifying it.:)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great to hear it's fixed - by you

Is it me or am I starting to see a common thread here of "professionals" charging for a service they are just not providing any benefit for.

Now before I get shot... I am in the service business and see my fair share of crap work and sort it out on a regular basis, if I can't provide a fix or can't diagnose the fault then I sure as shit don't go slugging the client for my lack of knowledge for the couple of minutes I spend on it

sorry for going ot but this shits me off

cheers

Johnnie5

Hey another friday and another update......

So finally the mechanic checked the actuator and yep its seized (like I bloody thought). Did a fair bit of research and worked out Its an Isuzu part no. So Holden wanted $759 for it and Isuzu came in at $521 so thats what I got. Part will be in by friday next week so who's up for a trip next weekend? Lol

are you able to remove this and clean/grease it on a regular basis ?

Zzee

I think the damage was done by the previous owner as when I got it I did a diff oil change and the front looked like it had water in it. Its seized bad but I think I will keep it for future reference. I will probably do as you metioned and service it every year just so I dont have this problem out in the bush.

And yes it seems to me that 'professional' services think that they know better and everyone else knows crap about their work or what problems you think may be. I run my own business and always listen to the clients thoughts and worries and offer solutions I think are better but in the end its what they want you to do, not what I want. If they had of listened in the first place I would of had my car fixed 5 weeks ago not lost 5 days income and been 700 bucks down in useless parts.

Cheers

curlkirl

Hi I'm Bryan.
I have my own ra rodeo 4x4 2005 . I wonder if you help explain about problem with 4x4 engage qiuck auto off ?
When I drive on dirty road and press 4th on and drive around a while . Then press 2h on that should be engage off qiuck but still 4G light flash on and off too long so I have to stop car and change gear reserve and 1 St and several times then 4h flash light off .
How will I do with this problem and fix it ??????
Thanks for your advice help
Bryan

Zzee

Well with mine I have to be in a striaght line no turning corners and it takes about 5 secs to disengage. I had the same problem when my actuator started to fail. It would be worth it to remove the actuator and give it a clean/check and replace front diff oil. You can pull the actuator off and get someone to press 4h on dash and u should see it move freely. I also got rid of the paper gasket between it and used a high grade silicone gasket as paper gasket there is stupid imo.
Hope this helps.

morrislyda

Well with mine I have to be in a striaght line no turning corners and it takes about 5 secs to disengage. I had the same problem when my actuator started to fail. It would be worth it to remove the actuator and give it a clean/check and replace front diff oil. You can pull the actuator off and get someone to press 4h on dash and u should see it move freely. I also got rid of the paper gasket between it and used a high grade silicone gasket as paper gasket there is stupid imo.
Hope this helps.

I am having a very similar problem - what mechanic did you end up getting good service from? I cannot find the problem & I am tired of spending money failing to get someone else to fix the problem.

Luthy

The mechanic I ended up using (who listened anyway) is based at toowoon bay servo nsw. Any mechanical place should be able to fix it for you. Just do what I did, go to the mechanic show him what part and tell him to pull it out and have a look at it please. There aren't many mechanics that know much about them tho thats why it helps to show them were it is. Its called the front diff actuator and is relatively easy to get to and is located on the passenger side of the front diff. Oh and get the part from Isuzu, its $300 cheaper.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

morrislyda

Thanks for the advice, after reading loads on the problem - it is not a straightforward resolution, it could be a reset, a vacuum actuator or the actuator itself. Conversations with Holden have not been filled me with confidence. I was just hoping there may be a mechanic in the Sydney area with some successful actual hands-on experience.