Robe Rollovers :(

Patriot

Administrator
So we had an epic weekend of sand driving at Robe, but it wasn't without incident. It appears that there was a large number of roll overs. We saw a lot of people with tyre pressures just way too high. We started at 16, and re deflated after about 30 minutes as the pressures had increased to over 20. hen we hit the hard sad, we went down to 12. That made things a lot easier.

One of our trips had a roll over, which was very sad. Big Trev, trying to get passed a very bogged vehicle, hit a tuft of grass and rolled. The team were trying to get through to assist in the recovery from the front of the vehicle.

tyre off.jpg

The tyre pressure was very low and they rolled the bead on it.

big trev.jpg

Trevs vehicle on it's side. It happened very slowly and thankfully Trev wasn't injured. Good to know tip - they didn't try to start the engine, because it had been on it's side and oil had gotten to places that it isn't meant to go. Restarting the engine the next day - good to go. This just goes to show how unlucky you can be.

DSC02376.JPG

A Ranger on one of our trips. The recovery here was very messy. I was stuck on the frar side, with the rest of our group getting through. I decided that this could be a pretty drawn out process, so carefully turned around and we made our own way back.

What is it about SA beaches that makes them so tough? NSW beaches seem pretty benign by comparison?
The sand over here is very course in that the grains are quite large, which prevents it from binding together to form a firmer surface. Combined with some of the steep angles on many of the beaches can make it pretty treacherous. In saying that , when the sand is wet, or moist it does make it easier to traverse.

Like any beach conditions change everyday. Oneday can be soft and tough going while the next can be damp and hardly an issue.

This trip was a good example, first day we had the prado go over plus half a dozen recoveries. Second day, sand still soft but not one recovery with everyone getting thru no dramas, and alot less stress.

callmejoe

Now watching a 200 go over then nearly end up on the side. Was just a invitation for a Y62 to go over and show a 200 how to do it properly.... not alllll went to plan. Just a "small" or say a slight bottom out.
It wasn't too steep, But the last 2 or so meters was super soft and a increase of angle, by the time we gave it a crack it was also getting dug up from numerous trys from other 4wd's.
It went up and then straight down again on the same angle. So a bit of table top effevt was happening, so a bit of speed was needed to push over for the decent. Now watching the 200 go over i wasn't going to put so much into, and well that has now made a good pic...

Joe.

I was the patrol that rolled on the hill there, it looks a lot simpler in all the videos and I have been driving this area since before I got a lisence.

I know it all like the back of my hand, but regardless conditions can and do change even overnight. Was a silly mistake with a bit too much arrogance going into it. Something that could’ve easily been avoided and one big lesson that will always be remembered.
I’ve seen people do this hill many times and even hit it myself before with success in another vehicle. Just lucky no injuries and nothing that can’t be fixed! Time to move on and make sure it never happens again

Superdad

Was a silly mistake with a bit too much arrogance going into it. Something that could’ve easily been avoided and one big lesson that will always be remembered.
hi mate - a good lesson. You're certainly not Robinson Crusoe in driving obstacle you've done before without enough care...

Patriot

Administrator
@Eglintonw - Hey mate, I hope you don't mind the vid being up. I think the important lesson out of this is how easy it can happen. There were heaps of people going a lot harder on some of the dunes and everyone says "Rookie mistake, walk it first." LOL, I don't think I say 1 person on that weekend walk the dunes. When you see people take a couple of goes at it and struggle, you know you need a little bit of momentum left at the top to get you over.
It isn't that simple and it can happen to anyone. How is the Patrol going? Hopefully not too much damage. Hopefully we will see you on the dunes next time we are done there. It is a great place for driving.

Nah the video being up is a great reminder to not only myself but others, doesn’t bother me!
Exactly! A lot of keyboard warriors out there thinking they know it all, they weren’t there and didn’t experience it so it just becomes a joke to read some of the Shit that is said. I’ve been up that hill before and knew what I was expecting. Was just a silly accident that I definitely could’ve avoided.
Patrols got a bit of damage down the side but like I said before nothing that can’t be replaced. New plans for the bus coming soon and she will be looking better than ever. Never gonna let it happen again !

She will be back down there over easter weekend, robe is my second home.

Spooner

Nah the video being up is a great reminder to not only myself but others, doesn’t bother me!
Exactly! A lot of keyboard warriors out there thinking they know it all, they weren’t there and didn’t experience it so it just becomes a joke to read some of the Shit that is said. I’ve been up that hill before and knew what I was expecting. Was just a silly accident that I definitely could’ve avoided.
Patrols got a bit of damage down the side but like I said before nothing that can’t be replaced. New plans for the bus coming soon and she will be looking better than ever. Never gonna let it happen again !

She will be back down there over easter weekend, robe is my second home.
Good stuff mate ,
Not that you tipped it over , but your attitude and acceptance of the situation .
Could happen to anyone , we nearly saw a 200 go A over T in the same spot. Was a madder jump at it than yours and he lucked the landing in .
Dunno how , I thought he was gone for all money.
Cheers Rick