Robe Australia Day 2016

LowLux

can I come for a couple of days, say Sat/Sun? Not sure if available for the whole weekend, I live in the SE, and drive a lot in the Canunda end and some of the Beachport CP often, but have only done the Robe end once. I am quite comfortable driving in sand, but don't like getting into the water with the car unless absolutely necessary. Having said that, any experience adds to confidence, and that can only be a good thing, to be used in the future or avoided. Be nice to meet up and have company to do that again. cheers Lana
Hey there. You may even lead us through some of the areas if you like.

Jackington

Should be able to make it to this on the Adelaide - Melbourne section of our long trip, would only be able to squeeze on one or two days before heading on to Melbourne. Haven't done any driving in sand before so that'll be a fun experience! Where exactly is the camping ground? Might be because I'm blind but I can't find it anywhere!

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
To make a booking for accommodation at the Camp ground , call Ron at Wrights Bay Camping Ground on 0428 340 717. Sites are limited so get in quick, or people can come along for a day trip. Should be driving on both Saturday and Sunday.

Nice drive down the Southern Ports Hwy.
See you there if you are there Fri night . . . looks like the SA crew doing their SE trip will be there early Sat morn, and the whole shebang will drive south together, will be quite a group.

LanaB

Hi LowLux, I am happy to lead in Canunda/South End to Carpenter Rock, not much beach to drive on down there tho' most locals stay clear of them, too many lost cars. However, the track and dunes can be fun with a couple of detours. Depends what you all want to see and do I guess. cheers, Lana

LanaB

Les Pk Ranger, when will you be getting to Pinks Beach? I have never done there to Boatswains. Would you be happy for me to tag along if I can swing it and its ok with you? cheers Lana

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Les Pk Ranger, when will you be getting to Pinks Beach? I have never done there to Boatswains. Would you be happy for me to tag along if I can swing it and its ok with you? cheers Lana

Hi Lana,

No problems, Anne and I would be happy to drive that with you :) (and anyone else that makes it Friday).
Let's go in at south end of the main Kingston beach reserve, that's the beach entry adjacent Johnston Avenue Kingston, might as well go from there.
Google Earth location -36.849798, 139.837096
It's ~30km beach driving to Wrights from there, so about 1.5 hrs I'd guess as it's usually a pretty good beach to drive. Air down and a couple of photo stops.

As we would like to get to camp at Wrights by say 3pm to set up, I'd say we'd leave home at 0900, meet you at Kingston foreshore somewhere at around 1230.
Whoever's there first, maybe grab some fish and chips and have some lunch and wait ? There's a decent F&C shop on the main road in.

I'll PM you my mobile number, if you could reply back with yours by PM, we can possibly check if one is a little delayed.
Will be on UHF ch10.

We'll just confirm on the PM too that all go for meet up, just in cases something comes up with either or our plans.

80lover96gxl

Hi Lana,

No problems, Anne and I would be happy to drive that with you :) (and anyone else that makes it Friday).
Let's go in at south end of the main Kingston beach reserve, that's the beach entry adjacent Johnston Avenue Kingston, might as well gm there.
Google Earth location -36.849798, 139.837096
It's ~30km beach driving to Wrights from there, so about 1.5 hrs I'd guess as it's usually a pretty good beach to drive. Air down and a couple of photo stops.

As we would like to get to camp at Wrights by say 3pm to set up, I'd say we'd leave home at 0900, meet you at Kingston foreshore somewhere at around 1230.
Whoever's there first, maybe grab some fish and chips and have some lunch and wait ? There's a decent F&C shop on the main road in.

I'll PM you my mobile number, if you could reply back with yours by PM, we can possibly check if one is a little delayed.
Will be on UHF ch10.

We'll just confirm on the PM too that all go for meet up, just in cases something comes up with either or our plans.
Just a heads up mate, yhe small sandy point a couple of k's south of pinkies last time we did it a couple months ago and very soft weed from waters edge right up to the vegetation line which caught out gav and luke resulting in gav covering his truck both on top and under with salty , stinky weed, basiclly looked like a giant seaweed bird had shat all over his car, was horrible. Most likely cleared by now but something to be weary of.
The rocky outcrop just nth of wrights was almost all covered in sand and easily traversed.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Cool mate, ta for the info.
That weed is like trying to get traction on green grass, in the wet, on a hill, and it stinks to high heaven.
We'll be looking for a path around it if possible, if it's still there.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
So James, what's your camping spot preference? Where the Fri night SA crew appear to be camping or further south near where the main camp ground seems to be located?

80lover96gxl

So James, what's your camping spot preference? Where the Fri night SA crew appear to be camping or further south near where the main camp ground seems to be located?
Main campground will likely be pretty full, usually is on lwe's and the "fascilities " will cop a decent work out id imagine, dont wanna be down wind if those bad boys.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
When I phoned and booked, they had the Earth crew from Vic in the back paddock behind the toilet area, maybe when checking in you can ask to go up to the northern section with the SA group ?

Blue4b

4x4 Earth Contributer
To the Vic crew heading over, does anyone have a spare sand flag I can borrow for the weekend?
I just need the flag, I'm taking a surf rod to use as the pole.
Thanks
Tony.

80lover96gxl

To the Vic crew heading over, does anyone have a spare sand flag I can borrow for the weekend?
Thanks
Tony.
I have a high viz vest you can have, cut a flag out of it and tape it to your rod if you like.

robz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks
Tony.
Thanks
Tony.
You can borrow my sand flag if you like.

Last edited: