Robe Australia Day 2016

Patriot

Administrator
So finally got around to contacting Ron at Wrights Bay Campground and we are booked in.
Getting in on the Friday afternoon, drives on Saturday and Sunday and maybe Monday. We will head back either Monday or Tuesday not sure yet. Australia Day is on the Tuesday, so it gives us some flexibility.

DJI00028_zps38msvbht.jpg

This is the view of the campground.
So far we have:
James + family
Marco + Trish
Who else wants to come?
To make a booking for accommodation at the Camp ground , call Ron at Wrights Bay Camping Ground on 0428 340 717. Sites are limited so get in quick, or people can come along for a day trip. Should be driving on both Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Great spot.
If it's low tide you can drive either way (even south around that rocky point) as you continue driving the beaches out of there.

Patriot

Administrator
Really looking forward to it. Only got one day of driving at last years event, so this should be a lot more fun.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Do you have a rough drive plan yet James ?
To get the most from your trip, I would consider this . . .

Thurs (?), drive over asap to Mt Gambier, head down to Carpenter Rocks, do Canunda on the way through, maybe camp Geltwood Bch overnight, exit Southend, then quick drive up to Beachport, and Southern Ports blacktop arr Fri arvo at Wrights.
Fri, drive up to The Granites, or even Old Coorong road to Wreck or 28 Mile Crossing on the Coorong, and drive back to say Kingston, then blacktop back to Wrights.
Sat, drive back up to Kingston, drive beaches back to Wrights.
Sun, head home leaving Wrights via the beaches, Boatswain Point and around to come off at the last exit north side of Robe, get down halfway through Beachport - Robe say one of the Little Dip parks on the south side of the park, maybe Old Man Lake, OR go further if possible and camp in the dunes past Nora Criena and the next beach.
Mon home by late arvo.

Edit - just realised the Tues is the Pub Hol, that would work shifting it all up a day, or leave as is and have another day somewhere nice.

You'll cover about 260 - 280km of excellent beaches / dunes :)

Last edited:

Chard

4x4 Earth Contributer
You're teasing James. Love the SE and it's been a long time since I've been there.

Patriot

Administrator
So we are getting in on the Friday and out either Monday or Tuesday. Haven't decided yet. Lowlux is in and together we will work out something. There was a whole heaps of beach we missed out on last time, so hoping to do that this time around.

Grumpy

Sorry James out for this one as we are off to Tassie for a month on the 1st Feb. Say hello to everyone for us.

Blue4b

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi James
Very interested in doing this but won't be able to leave until late Friday, so I would likely get there on Saturday. Plan on staying a bit longer though. Just need to see if I can organise some leave.:eek:
I will let you know as soon as I know.
Cheers, Tony.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Will probably come down on the Friday and camp with you blokes the night at Wrights, go touring with others arriving Saturday.
I'll be going in at Pinks Beach and driving around Cape Jaffa to Wrights if you get there early enough (or Marco, if you're keen for the drive down).
That section is probably the cleanest, whitest beach through the whole coast.

80lover96gxl

Would be better off camping with them friday night and Saturday morning they could do the drive with us from botswain point thru to beachport, they could then do the blacktop run back to Wrights that arvo.
Would give them a great opportunity to cover that entire section of beaches and dunes with a crew that have done it plenty of times and know what to look out for.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeeah might do that . . . can just do Pinks to Boatswain on the way through, it's the best beach down there, might swim as if it's calm it is like a QLD island beach :)
Just that Gav said you guys were going from Wrights in the other post for the SA group trip . . . must check that to ensure which it is.

80lover96gxl

Yeeah might do that . . . can just do Pinks to Boatswain on the way through, it's the best beach down there, might swim as if it's calm it is like a QLD island beach :)
Just that Gav said you guys were going from Wrights in the other post for the SA group trip . . . must check that to ensure which it is.
Yeah camp first night at Wrights then head straight for botswains and drive around to robe.
Wrights to Botswains is only 10mins by road and a good place to start the run down.

deepop

4x4 Earth Contributer
Ok, SWMBO has stated that she would like to grace us with her presence and to that end you'll find deepop and wife and monsters that come with the package all coming down for the weekend. Be there by Friday and leave probably Tues or so.

Looking forward to it. See you all there. Will speak to Ron - are we all out the back or did some book inside the trees?

80lover96gxl

If not inside the trees there's a great spot out of shot to the right about 150mtrs down that offers good shade and protection from winds by the trees, still part of the property just not up at the main area.

LanaB

can I come for a couple of days, say Sat/Sun? Not sure if available for the whole weekend, I live in the SE, and drive a lot in the Canunda end and some of the Beachport CP often, but have only done the Robe end once. I am quite comfortable driving in sand, but don't like getting into the water with the car unless absolutely necessary. Having said that, any experience adds to confidence, and that can only be a good thing, to be used in the future or avoided. Be nice to meet up and have company to do that again. cheers Lana

Blue4b

4x4 Earth Contributer
Woo hoo, I'm in James.:)
Arriving around midday Saturday, but have the rest of the following week off ,so won't be in a hurry to leave.

LowLux

Hi James
Very interested in doing this but won't be able to leave until late Friday, so I would likely get there on Saturday. Plan on staying a bit longer though. Just need to see if I can organise some leave.:eek:
I will let you know as soon as I know.
Cheers, Tony.
Trish and I probably won't get there until very late Fri night or Sat morn.