Rivnut/Nutsert tool

silkwood

Has anyone used one of the budget style tools off Ebay or Bunnings? I'm not needing to do hundreds of inserts, but I would like to go to at least M8. I'd prefer M10, but the tools which do this appear to be all the twin handle straight insert type. These can be difficult to use in compact areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but I'm definitely not after an expensive tool (won't get enough use to warrant the price, I believe).

Cheers,

Mark

dno67

I got an long handled ebay job, works well. Like you said though
the long handles can limit access. Setting larger nutserts takes more
effort than smaller ones, so I'd be looking for a well made looking one.
I just looked for a seller that had sold a few with good feedback.

GaryM

I have a Kincrome unit which is pretty much a rivet gun, levers are 90 degrees (roughly) to the nutsert, and its meh. Leverage is poor unless doing aluminum inserts but doable. And you have to be careful to make sure enough thread is in the insert or you will rip the mandrel out (strip thread) and or distort the nutsert (bolt wont go in). Ive only used it a couple of times but IIRC the amount the mandrel is inserted effects how many times you need to pump the lever too, and how hard it is to pump because its at the full spread for your hand, or effects where you get the whole tool into. ie: tight spaces so not fully adjustable. I also renumber the $*%&# of a thing would pinch hand skin too. Id prefer the long all in a line types above, but can see it would be worse in tight places.

You can use a bolt as the tool. Just need something in between that wont spin to pull on the nutsert. So a bolt in the right size and thread, a flat bit of steel with hole to take said bolt, then nutsert. Like so

Mine is this one, in a blow mold kit with 4 different sized mandrels and a collection of nutserts.

Last edited:

silkwood

Thanks for the input all. I might go for the longer handled version (even though it can restrict access) and simply use the home made system in tight spaces (thanks Hoyks, et al., I have done it this way before, but the guns seems quicker and easier). Best of both worlds.

Many thanks,

Mark

Slightly off topic with this one, but are there load limits on nutserts? Some of the captive nuts in the cross member of my sons Prado have been broken off (by the previous owner) which he only discovered when he tried to fit a Bushskinz bash plate.
I'm thinking nutserts might be an answer but as the plate weighs 20kg I'm wondering if nutserts will stand up to the job?

mac_man_luke

Not sure on the actual limit but they will be fine, i have used a heap of m8 nutserts in my tray with eye bolts and iv cranked down on them with ratchet straps etc and they have not moved or looked like failing.

Hoyks

They aren't a high tensile nut as they wouldn't crimp up if they were heat treated. The material they go through would limit the application too (not much point having a nut that pulls through the structure).
For a bash plate they would be fine, although is they corrode and the bolt locks into the nutsert they can be a pain to remove as everything just spins. For side-steps and the like, a nut welded to a metal plate and pushed into the chassis would be a better option.

stevemc181

Slightly off topic with this one, but are there load limits on nutserts? Some of the captive nuts in the cross member of my sons Prado have been broken off (by the previous owner) which he only discovered when he tried to fit a Bushskinz bash plate.
I'm thinking nutserts might be an answer but as the plate weighs 20kg I'm wondering if nutserts will stand up to the job?
Just make sure to use heavy duty zinc plated steel rivnuts and not the aluminium crap. These or similar will work well, just use the video method above to set them in place, https://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/06705810/nut-insert-lf-stl-knurled-07-38-m8
They are still holding up my bash plates on the Pajero. https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=452093&postcount=20

Rags90mod

I have a kingchrome one like in Hoyks video (good video by the way), but have only used it a couple of times so far. Bloody handy things though I reckon. I bought it for when I eventually buy one of the Minecorp bonnet gas strut kits for the 76

sharkcaver

Just an update. I purchased the Kingchrome two handled unit (larger tool). Works very well. After having previously only used a home made job, this thing is a breeze!

Problem now is... I want to put rivnuts everywhere!
Cheers,
Mark

I feel your pain brother....haha.

I also have the two handle job. Its fantastic for larger rivnuts (> M6) but it has challenges too. You really have to be careful with it on setting smaller rivnuts because its real easy to just pull the mandrel through the rivnut thread and screw it. Also, it is large and requires a lot of space above the rivnut hole just to be able to get it in. So I reckon the rivet type gun also serves a good purpose.......though setting larger rivnuts could be a chore (if larger setting mandrels are available for those types).