RIP Holden Commodore

Spooner

hdt-vl-commodore.jpg

Brock-and-Perkins.jpg

castrol-commodore.jpg

Nine-legendary-liveries-cover.jpg

Hoyks

I'll be incredibly surprised if Holden is even an entity in 5 years time.

They have the 2nd biggest dealer network in the country, but sales figures are in the toilet.
The CEO quit (was pushed??) and they have appointed a new caretaker one that has 3 job titles, which is a fair indication that head office isn't taking the position that seriously.
They have yards full of cars that are generally not highly regarded and therefore no one wants, so are ditching a few of the models to concentrate on utes and SUV's which is the only part doing OK, but even then they aren't exactly walking out the door.

The days of Holdens out selling everyone else because they have a Holden badge on them are long gone. Now it has to be good, good value and reliable. The Australian Made thing got them over the line there for a while, now they don't even have that as a point of difference and just about anything else out of Korea is kicking their arse.

My wife loved them, EH as her first car, several Torana's, had a VB when I met her, parents drove Torana's, Kingswoods and Commodores, brother had an SLR5000, other brother a string of Statesman's and Senator's.

You'd think with that history that something Holden would be under consideration, but they weren't even on the radar. A Hyundai Kona won out. Her last car was a Cruize, its onto its 2nd transmission and just clicked over 120000km, my mum had one that got a new box at 45000km and she bought a Kia.
Wife's mum has one and is just hoping it gets her back to WA so she can get rid of it as most of the trip here was with a check engine light on and reduced power, despite the dealer throwing the parts bin at it.

Last edited:

slivertoy

they are long gone in my eyes, yes the VF/2 was the best car they ever made, the 6.2 LSA of course, my Dad owned plenty of them from the first EK Sedan, then a brand new HK Belmont Wagon, couldn't afford the Kingswood, let alone the Premier, and then HQ, I've had plenty too, LC and LJ Torana's, HJ Monaro, VR, VT. and a brand new VE SS, i reckon i have driven nearly every model too, worked on heaps of them, watched them race at Sandown, Calder park, Winton, Albert Park, heck i even drove a ex Holden V8 supercar around Sandown.
Now they are crap, OK to drive, only just, the wife and I always have the chat about what car to buy next, and are not impressed with any at all, so were keeping the VE, until something comes up excites us, rest in peace Red Lion,

Spooner

My favourite Commodore ever was our 2004 VY SS Series II
Pretty much had most models at some time in straight 6 , V6 or V8.
Loved that car !

001.JPG

shanegtr

I reckon in 2yrs time Holden will be done in Australia. As has been mentioned above, they have the 2nd biggest dealer network, but 10th in the sales race. 2020 I think we will see a big reduction in the number of dealers across the country.

phs

Can’t see them sticking around quite a shame really,

They destroyed a company for no reason, they were making money but like the fat cats they are it was not enough, took there last government handout and decided to shut up production and sent the money home.

Owned plenty of holdens over the years, the dear wife had a VE gts at one stage, very nice car

Poor HSV won’t be far behind........

80lover96gxl

We're full Holden bogans at my place, vx caprice 6.2 ltr, ve ssv 6.2 ltr Ute, vy sedan, vx sedan and a vx storm ute but the fav is this one, vx clubby 6.0ltr. The 6.2's go a little harder but the clubby is the coolest of the lot.
Had a 5.ltr vk, 5 ltr wb Ute, plus several others but my fav still to this day was my 5 ltr hz prem wagon, the ultimate cruiser imo.
20191217_195750.jpg

phs

Unlikely at this stage - they are running 24hr production with Dodge Ram, Chev Silverado and Camaro RHD conversions

I had been looking at there web site months ago saw all the new cars coming but can’t see that matching what they were putting out 3 years ago.

Time will tell hopefully they stick around

2002GU3

Holden have been living on their past reputation and Australians loyalty for quite a while, when they chose to turn their backs on the Aussies and the Aussie workers that was the beginning of the end, now they are just another Korean car like the rest of them and the arrogance of them expecting Aussies to keep buying their product over other Korean cars that are just as good or better and are a lot cheaper...........I don't think Commodore will be the only Holden to become obsolete.

shanegtr

I had been looking at there web site months ago saw all the new cars coming but can’t see that matching what they were putting out 3 years ago.

Time will tell hopefully they stick around
Ryan Walkinshaw claims that they are building over 3500 units a year on Ram alone, apparently more than the last year of HSV. Skip to 37.30 in the vid to here what he says

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Holden have been living on their past reputation and Australians loyalty for quite a while, when they chose to turn their backs on the Aussies and the Aussie workers that was the beginning of the end, now they are just another Korean car like the rest of them and the arrogance of them expecting Aussies to keep buying their product over other Korean cars that are just as good or better and are a lot cheaper...........I don't think Commodore will be the only Holden to become obsolete.

Swaggie

I was a Holden man since i left school, My last was a VR 5.0l wagon .. What a bloody lenon that was, replaced everything if not twice it was three times... Driveway always had oil on it until i converted to Toyota.

Problem is with Holden they generally produced nice designs from new, there quality of parts are CHEAP and people wised up to it going across to Japanese built.....

Spooner

I was a Holden man since i left school, My last was a VR 5.0l wagon .. What a bloody lenon that was, replaced everything if not twice it was three times... Driveway always had oil on it until i converted to Toyota.
Ha ha , at least it didn't get stolen in Franga :)
I had a VR 5.0L Statesman between my brother and myself for 18 years with no problems at all.
Car1.jpg

Spooner

I suppose at the end of the day I still lament the closure of our car industry, Holden and Ford.
Personally I think they "Jumped the Shark" too quickly for political gain.
Anyway it doesn't really matter now , but how many 4x4 dual cab ute's can the market bear until some other fad comes along and takes everything by storm lol ;)

Teddy1.jpg

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Football, Meat pies, Kangaroo's and Hyundai's......Football, Meat pies, Kangaroo's and Hyundai's.....Football, Meat pies, Kangaroo's and Hyundai's.....
Ha Ha. Although Hyundai did re badge a few makes in 1967, here is the original you beaut cool, head turner Hyundai Pony .:p:p:p:p.
Eventually, Hyundai wanted to build their own car, and that’s where Mitsubishi enters the picture. In 1974 Hyundai started building their car, the Pony, and selling it in some countries using powerplants and drivetrains from Japan’s Mitsubishi Motors.:p:p:p.
6b1faa6e76abcbd0dcf690b53fe6a9f1.jpeg

Now here is a real car.
One of our families' classics.
1969 Holden HT ( Head Turner) GTS Monaro.:):):):).
Monaro.JPG