Rescue on the Balfour track

Toddyh

You need a permit to travel the Balfour and won't get one if you say you're travelling solo. Going through this exact issue at the moment.

phs

^

Seems it has all Changed we were there in 2014
Belfour signreads

“ Balfour Track
Winches and Snorkels required
Travel in convoy recommend
seasonal only October to March “

phs

Is it just the author Pieman parks permit ?
You can get that fairly easy

Toddyh

Yeah you can get the permit to access. I probably worded it wrong when I asked them. Got a flat no to doing it solo.

phs

Yeah you can get the permit to access. I probably worded it wrong when I asked them. Got a flat no to doing it solo.
well yeah it’s just lots off deep crossings, I guess it’s hard to comment of the specific circumstances of the above who got stuck but not a good look

Stuck In deep water running solo on a track that is well known for drowning cars

D

Deleted member 69390

The media report also says they were doing the track against advice from the Parks and Wildlife Service - this implies they asked for advice and ignored it - but who knows.

Likewise it was not an emergency - the track was open so why did they use a helo - authority decision - if I was making the decision they would have been told they would have to wait until conditions allowed land rescue (noting that rescue vehicles could have got to them given the bogged vehicle had travelled that far.

Barra GU

Must of been pretty deep. We had some sections get close to the top of the bonnet. Not really a difficult track but more of a precautionary drive due to the water height dependent of hope much rain its had.
The bottoms fairly hard too so want breaking traction.

Hope they're ok
Screenshot_20191121-203305_Gallery.jpg