Removable Tie Down Deck for ISUZU MU-X

Since we use the third row in our MU-X I wanted to create a floating removable tie down deck so I can strap down our WAECO fridge and Arkpak battery box for when we go camping. The deck will be strapped down at the front edge using the fixing points under the storage box and along the back with the kids seat anchor points.

The deck is 19mm ply with marine carpet glued down. I routed a kerf around the entire edge of the deck to take T-Molding.

Here are some current in progress pics.

Attachments

Well got the deck pretty close to complete. Worked out all my tie down points and secured all the anchors. Countersunk the bolt holes and put on the T-Molding. Just need to add the tie down anchors for the car and I'm done. I'll be treating this as a version 1 as I've already got some ideas I'd like to implement with more time and better planning.

Attachments

Ziggy

Watching with interest. Looks like a pretty professional job.

You use the 3rd row of seats but the deck looks too big to fit behind that. Do you mean it's for when the 3rd row isn't in use?

Where do you source the tie-down points may I ask? They look the business.

Yeah it sits on top when the 3rd row isn't in use Ziggy. The tie down points are from the WAECO tie down kit, I got a bunch of stuff free when I bought my CFX65 and bought an additional kit of ebay. The Arkpak has it's own fixing system but I'm sticking a strap over as well to make sure it doesn't go wandering around the back of the car.

This is a fantastic DYI, thanks Jad308. Used my MU-X for its first day trip and I have to say was desperate for some decent tie down points. Had the BBQ, large esky and some chairs in the back.

I'll try and take some more photos of the fully completed deck. I use all three child seat anchor points to hold the deck down along the back edge with straps and I tie down to the 2 D rings hidden under the removable storage box. I find however that with the battery box and fridge in it doesn't really move but better safe than sorry. I'm going camping in the next couple of weeks so I'll take some pics of the deck in use.

Decided to tidy up my deck a little and installed a WAECO fridge slide. A recent camping trip had me lucky dipping into the fridge regularly while it was sitting in the back of the truck so I decided a slide would make life much easier.

Ray's Outdoors have 20% off at the moment on the slides which brought it down below the $300 mark which has been my sticking point on doing this.

As the deck sits on top of the third row seats and is only 18mm thick ply I really didn't want to go down the counter sunk bolt route as I wanted to maintain as much strength as I could in the deck. I did some googling on how people have been doing their installs and eventually came across an Ironman 4x4 video on how they do their slide install onto their draw system. A quick visit to my favourite hardware store and I picked up x10 T-Nuts with a 10mm barrel and 20mm cup head hex bolts.

I removed all the fridge tie down D rings and relocated the deck front edge tie down D rings to underneath. Got the positioning of the tray sorted with the battery box in place and drilled away. It all came together pretty well. We'll be camping over the Easter break so I'll be able to see how it all goes. I'll probably make a version 2.0 deck once I've got the bugs sorted in this one.

Attachments

Jad, hi, I'm new to this. Your false floor for the slide looks amazing but I am not that handy. Are there people around who could do this for me? (Naturally I would pay them).
Also, can you tell me more about the battery please. Tks Topsy

Hi Topsy, the false deck was pretty straightforward to make I just got Bunnings to cut a 18mm thick sheet of marine ply to the correct width and length. I used the lid of the storage box to trace the curve and used a jigsaw to cut the curve. Stuck some marine carpet on top and used a sharp knife to trim to shape following the outline of the deck. I used D rings bolted in line with the child restraint points on the back of the second row to use as tie of points with friction straps.

If you can find someone relatively handy they should be able to knock one together for you. If you're near Perth WA you can have mine minus the fridge slide as I sold that when I got a camper trailer.

The battery box is an ArkPak - http://www.arkcorp.com.au/c/37/arkpak-portable-power they're pretty pricey especially once you add a decent battery into them but they are convenient. I sold mine to my brother in law who lost it last trip up the top end of WA on a horrendous stretch of corrugation.

Hope this helps.

Hi jad, thanks for that and I will find someone to cut it for me. I would have used yours but you can't get further from Perth than where I live in Cairns! With the Waeco cfx65 fridge, do we need another battery? If so, what would you suggest that's not tooo expensive but does the job. We don't go off road or free camp very often. Sorry I'm asking so much but just trying to learn. Tks

A
Hi jad, thanks for that and I will find someone to cut it for me. I would have used yours but you can't get further from Perth than where I live in Cairns! With the Waeco cfx65 fridge, do we need another battery? If so, what would you suggest that's not tooo expensive but does the job. We don't go off road or free camp very often. Sorry I'm asking so much but just trying to learn. Tks

Attachments

Hi Jad308,

I'm about to do the same thing as we also still use the seven seats now and then.

Any suggestions or things I need to look out for when doing this setup?

Thanks
Francois

I’ve improved on the tie down. Where the 3rd row seat bolts down I put 4 tie down points. 2 on front bolts, 2 on rear bolts I bought them from a van fit out company, very similar to the ones already in the Isuzu. This enabled me to tie the plinth down, but still able to fold down the 2nd row of seats.
I also installed a single draw (from 4wd supercenter) next to the fridge. To remove the plinth I take the top off the draw and remove the draw stops to fully slide the draw out to make it lighter to remove. Surprising I leave it all in the car, including the fridge - good when going to the shops

Great Thank you CycleOZ, any chance you have a link for the Tie down points at the van fit out company. I havent even thought about still being able to fold down the second row. Thank you for that.