Remote Res Shocks - Are they really beneficial?

rob_macca67

Guys...
Time is approaching where I'll probably need to look at replacing my old Shocks with some new Shocks. There's heaps of options out there now and I'm wondering do I go with your normal HD Mono Shock type or look at something like a Remote Res Shock.

Pros of Normal type Shock:
> Price (potentially)
> No hose attachments that could fail or be damaged offroad
> More commonly available, thus easily replaced if needed when travelling

Cons of Normal type Shock:
> Lack of cooling, thus fading when driving on corrugations or off-track driving for hours upon hours

Pros for Remote Res Shocks:
> Flexibility to set the shock performance according to the road you're driving on
> Depending on Remote Res Type, u may Compression & Rebound Settings
> Ease of adjustment setting (location depending)

Cons of Remote Res type Shock:
> COST
> More components exposed to failure/damage
> Open to stone damage to Shock Shaft as the shaft is usually at bottom of shock (I think)
> On-going maintenance (??)
> depending on location, the adjustment could be a PITA
> Some Remote Res Shocks have 3 or more adjustments (eg: Dobinsons) - will this bring confusion, etc ??
> Durability?? (I've had mono Shocks last me 100k in the past)

I know little about Remote Res Shocks, but after my adjustable Tough Dog Shocks on my Defender faded after the 1st hour or so, thus becoming useless on my off-track Trip to the Centre of the Simpson last year, I'm looking for something that will handle hours and hours of corrugations or off-track driving on my Touring vehicle:

Couple of brands I'm considering:
> Superior
> Fox
> Dobinson's

Seeking people's experiences with Remote Res Shocks (GOOD and BAD) and what BRANDS to look at or stay away from & why...

thanks in advance...

callmejoe

I'm running the Dobision, remote reservoir and fully adjustable on the fly. Well get out and turn the dial which is fairly basic.

Are they good enough for the extra $$$.
Not sure yet. I have used the functions, adjusting etc to try and Improve the ride in harder condition with mixed results, but Yes there was definitely a difference.

Lost1?

Been running the first version of dobinson remote resi shock. Not adjustable but rides well on corrugations with no fade. Put 50,000km on them so far without issue. About 1/3 of that distance would be offroad touring with a bit of weight on board.

Not sure if I would realise all the benefits of adjustable shocks. But if your running coils all round like your vehicle I can see a benefit. If FOX are in your budget Kings should be too. From what I have read Kings ride slightly softer. Perhaps those with experience of both could pass comment to help you out there.

cam04

Lot of unsprung weight there. For remote work I'd personally go a koni raid/heavy track/bilstein mono setup. Well proven and many less failure points. You don't have to go outside of this forum to find stories of ruined trips from remote res shocks failing. Yes, time has moved on, but I can't remember hearing too many stories about fit for purpose monos failing.

CTL

Personally can’t see the benefit in adjustable shocks outside of comp/race scenarios.
Is the oil capacity significantly greater in a remote reservoir shock, vs a larger diameter mono, to provide any real cooling benefits tucked up inside a wheel arch?
I am a bit of a Bilstein fanboy after trying some other brands over the years.

hiluxxury

I'm a fan of keeping it simple for touring. If I was racing it would be another story.

I have the Dobinsons IMS non-reservoir setup on my Ranger. Purchased for the height adjustable front struts. They are good for the money in this application.

I'd probably get Koni raid or Bilstein next.

callmejoe

The remote reservoir with the adjustable ability aren't just about the oil temp.
It's about the ability to also continually adjust for the conditions. Eg I have mine harden right up when im fully loaded and towing and off for our camp spot. Once I hit the dirt I usually dial them down a bit.(softer) Once I have set camp, removed alot of the extra weight. (water jerry cans, fire wood ) it again changes the dynamics of the ute so I again soften the ride..

suspension is NOT my forte but I was willing to give this set up a crack

Lost1?

Personally can’t see the benefit in adjustable shocks outside of comp/race scenarios.
Is the oil capacity significantly greater in a remote reservoir shock, vs a larger diameter mono, to provide any real cooling benefits tucked up inside a wheel arch?
I am a bit of a Bilstein fanboy after trying some other brands over the years.

There is a big difference in temps. Have fitted bilstein on road cars and was impressed with them. But the Dobison MRR are softer riding than bilstein, that provide better on road handling. I can live with handling that is a bit doughy on road if it means offroad is smooth.

hiluxxury

The number of places I've gone in bare stock work vehicles (98% toyotas) with no problems makes me wonder what all the fuss is about.

I still regard the stock air suspension in my old Range Rover Sport as the best setup I've ever used. It never had a problem in 160,000kms of use.

red hilux

I was running Dobinson remote res in my Prado, they lasted me 80k and 6 years.
While they are rebuildable, the kits are no longer available, forcing me to buy new shock.
No point buying remote if they don’t sell rebuild kits.

that said. I bought the dobinson IMF’s. Basically the same as remorse without the remote, gave them an absolute hiding, never missed a beat

rob_macca67

I was running Dobinson remote res in my Prado, they lasted me 80k and 6 years.
While they are rebuildable, the kits are no longer available, forcing me to buy new shock.
No point buying remote if they don’t sell rebuild kits.

that said. I bought the dobinson IMF’s. Basically the same as remorse without the remote, gave them an absolute hiding, never missed a beat

Can u give us more info on how many kms you have done in your IMS's and what sort of road conditions (eg: corrugations; slow desert mogul driving) u have gone on and how they have handled these conditions?
Also, how do they perform when LOADED for trips versus UNLOADED as a daily driver?

Possibly looking at these Dobinsons IMS's for my setup in my old Defender...

Here's a bit of factory Info:

Here's the manufacturer's bit on the features of them:

Fully rebuildable and re-valvable
Zero shock fade in all terrains with full load
Direct, bolt-on replacement for easy fitment
IFP – Internal Floating Piston, separates oil and nitrogen
Corrosion resistant (EDP Surface Protection)
Heavy duty single piece lower leg
Enormous oil capacity
Heavy Duty 3 Stage FKM HNBR Sealing System for the ultimate in reliability
Race inspired hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston – for the ultimate in offroad handling
66mm/2.6” Bodied Series – 60mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston – 60mm bore – Vehicle specific fitment – Suitable for most heavier vehicles
Full 2 year limited warranty, no set rebuild time period

Dobinsons IMS monotube shock absorbers are designed for next level performance over twin tube shocks in those hot, harsh, demanding conditions. By utilising the monotube design, Dobinsons IMS shock absorbers are able to resist fade far longer on corrugated roads, long or hard working 4WD trips, towing or racing conditions.
The larger 50 and 60mm high flow pistons reduce internal pressures, reduce the heat generated, transfer heat to the body for faster cooling and offer improved damping performance and vehicle control at higher shaft speeds on rough terrain and during big impacts. Threaded bodies on struts allow for fine tuning of height and offer further improvements in cooling. The micropolished, hard chromed and heat treat shock shaft, CNC aluminium high flow race inspired piston, and DOM seamless tubing body provides the ultimate in performance and off-road durability.

Composite piston wear bands, high quality Fuchs oil and a race style 3-stage sealing system offer the lowest levels of friction whilst maintaining durability and longevity without the need for frequent rebuilding or servicing. Dobinsons team of engineers spend hundreds of hours of testing and tuning the shim stacks and damping Characteristics in each IMS shock to ensure a balance of comfort, handling, vehicle control and off-road performance - Enjoy the ride

Last edited:

rob_macca67

I'm running the Dobision, remote reservoir and fully adjustable on the fly. Well get out and turn the dial which is fairly basic.

Are they good enough for the extra $$$.
Not sure yet. I have used the functions, adjusting etc to try and Improve the ride in harder condition with mixed results, but Yes there was definitely a difference.
Been running the first version of dobinson remote resi shock. Not adjustable but rides well on corrugations with no fade. Put 50,000km on them so far without issue. About 1/3 of that distance would be offroad touring with a bit of weight on board.

Not sure if I would realise all the benefits of adjustable shocks. But if your running coils all round like your vehicle I can see a benefit. If FOX are in your budget Kings should be too. From what I have read Kings ride slightly softer. Perhaps those with experience of both could pass comment to help you out there.
I'm a fan of keeping it simple for touring. If I was racing it would be another story.

I have the Dobinsons IMS non-reservoir setup on my Ranger. Purchased for the height adjustable front struts. They are good for the money in this application.

I'd probably get Koni raid or Bilstein next.

I'm assuming here that most of your vehicles have Leaf Springs in the rear which obviously quite different to having Coils all round.

From experience and what I can see, having remote res on an all coiled vehicle is beneficial when driving over various terrains like one day driving over hours and hours of corrugated roads then the next day drive into the Desert where slow mogul driving is favour of the day. You can simply stop and easily adjust the settings to the required road conditions u are driving. This makes a big difference on a coiled 4wd. Add to that LOADED vs UNLOADED times and I can see why people go with the remote res... BUT, from what I've read, more maintenance is required (more $$) if u want to maintain them for a long life... Is it worth it? I currently don't know...

I might try the IMS's on my old Defender & I'll see how they are performing & depending on that I will either go remote res on my newer Puma Defender for touring duties and the benefits of having that flexibility... or if the IMS's proves themselves in most conditions, then I may go this way also for the Puma but that will be some time down the track...

Last edited:

red hilux

Can u give us more info on how many kms you have done in your IMS's and what sort of road conditions (eg: corrugations; slow desert mogul driving) u have gone on and how they have handled these conditions?
Also, how do they perform when LOADED for trips versus UNLOADED as a daily driver?

Possibly looking at these Dobinsons IMS's for my setup in my old Defender...

Here's a bit of factory Info:
The new shocks were installed 2 weeks before my big trip
Perth - Ceduna - Googs track - Coober Pedy - Oodnadatta - Mt Dare - Dalhousie Springs - Simpson Desert to Birdsville - Birdsville track to Marree - FlindersRangers and Skytreck willow - Perth 7000k trip

lots of off-roading, really bad corrugating to Mt Dare. They handled super well, flawlessly,
I had upgraded the front springs to a heavier spring too. The rears, still running king springs with air bags as my load changes a lot..

the original springs sagged, not heavier enough.

I’m extremely happy with my set up.
I’m not sure if your doing springs aswell, but you won’t be disappointed with the dobinson IMFs

Lost1?

IFS with Leaf spring rear in the Triton. Simpson twice, Strezlecki, oodnadatta track, Fraser, Flinders Ranges, West Macdonnell ranges, Big desert and high country sums up what mine have done so far.

sharkcaver

Guys...

Seeking people's experiences with Remote Res Shocks (GOOD and BAD) and what BRANDS to look at or stay away from & why...

thanks in advance...

I can give you my experience as below.
That said, I'm a bit hesitant to go remote res again, I still have a foul taste hanging around.
Things may have improved since, then it's been a while now, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

rob_macca67

I can give you my experience as below.
That said, I'm a bit hesitant to go remote res again, I still have a foul taste hanging around.
Things may have improved since, then it's been a while now, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Yeah thanks for that I was aware of your experiences but as u mentioned that was a while ago... For my Old Defender, I may consider Dobinson IMS Mono Shocks as they have good reviews. For my Touring Puma Defender, I may consider Superior Remote Res, but this will depend on the experiences I have in my old Defender with the Mono Shocks...