Reliable but not overpriced.

Prof. Average

Hi All

I am looking at purchasing my next 4x4 but want something as a stepping stone between what i had and the next car which will be the 4x4 i go all out on.

I am selling the 4x4 i have now because for what i want and what i want to use it for, it's worth to much for what i want. so i'm cashing out with the idea i will relook at the kitted out super 4x4 when i have done what i want to do from financial point of view in 5 years.

Covid prices have turned everything upside down and ive got no idea what's over priced and whats not haha.

I am looking for a capable run around that i can do the occasional trip every now and then, I will also being using as just driving to work and back. I dont care about features and don't want anything fancy. Just want something that is reliable and will serve me well for the next 5 years without spending a bomb on it. I wont be doing any hard tracks, i am a rookie so im not looking for a rock crawler. It will just to be doing easy to medium tracks.

I will have about 15k to spend, I have been looking at challengers, Older hiluxs and navarras. We are expecting our first child so whilst wont be our main car, if we go camping this will be the car we take so needs to be safe.

What models or cars do you reccomend? What should i be looking at? what should i avoid? hoping to find a car that hasnt been jacked up by covid like the luxs and cruisers have been but also are really dependable and is capable when i want to do some 4x4ing.

Thanks everyone

discomatt

All cars not just Hilux and Land cruisers have gone through the roof, even my unreliable crappers with the worst new car depreciation of all 4wds is now worth what I paid for it 4 years ago with an extra 90,000 km on it so getting something that is not over priced will be very hard if not impossible.
As for brands and models the internet is full of information and mis information so do a heap of research, I wouldn't touch a Navara or a Amarok

red hilux

All cars not just Hilux and Land cruisers have gone through the roof, even my unreliable crappers with the worst new car depreciation of all 4wds is now worth what I paid for it 4 years ago with an extra 90,000 km on it so getting something that is not over priced will be very hard if not impossible.
That’s great dude. Now you can sell that (without losing money)and finally upgrade to a Toyota

Prof. Average

Ok i understand everything is overpriced, let me rephrase the question. What is worth looking at for 15k that is capable and reliable ? I dont care about features or any new stuff. Just that it wont die on me and has 5 seats and is safe.

Prof. Average

petrol versions of any mentioned present good value for money and can be cheaper and less work to keep going.
This may be an ignorant comment but i always thought diesel was better for upkeep and running costs ? Or do you mean the initial investment being more than petrol ?

megamung

This may be an ignorant comment but i always thought diesel was better for upkeep and running costs ? Or do you mean the initial investment being more than petrol ?
personally I love diesels. I love the economy, the power delivery and the low rev torque. I even love the way they sound. But, realistically everything else can be a pain. they require expensive and more often servicing, a lot of diesel owners are constantly chasing more power, which then affects reliability. when things go wrong they can bankrupt you. you pay a premium to get into one. modern diesels are over complex with fragile fuel delivery systems.

If you are looking for something that will get you offroad with limited budget and to get you by for a few years , a petrol might be a way to go.

cam04

personally I love diesels. I love the economy, the power delivery and the low rev torque. I even love the way they sound. But, realistically everything else can be a pain. they require expensive and more often servicing, a lot of diesel owners are constantly chasing more power, which then affects reliability. when things go wrong they can bankrupt you. you pay a premium to get into one. modern diesels are over complex with fragile fuel delivery systems.

If you are looking for something that will get you offroad with limited budget and to get you by for a few years , a petrol might be a way to go.
I agree. That RC Colorado I mentioned got the commodore v6 3.8 which was both fast and decent on fuel. We had one at work at the same time as I had the diesel one. I would have preferred the petrol I think. They are always cheaper, usually done less miles, and often enough not driven as hard so there are some bargains to be found.

MrMiller

Picked up my 120 Prado v6 petrol for less than 15k a year ago. Thing is bulletproof. Very capable car. Well beyond my capabilities as a driver.

nitrobrent

The daughter picked up a 03 Paj for $4500 4 years ago.
Apart from the odd puff of smoke when its been sitting idling, its been great.
She towed a horse float up and down to Scone from the Central Coast nearly every weekend for 2 years , often in 40°+.
She hit 6 roo's in it.
Had to leave it when the bullbar got pushed back that far that it was hitting the wheel.
Loosed it off and readjusted ,apart from a slightly caved in roof from it landing on it, it's fine.
We had it when she was working in England for 2 years.Took it up the Blue Mountains a few times touring.
Vision out is amazing compared with our rock crawler, feel like driving the Pope mobile.
Took it up Airly, was surprised how far it went on ATs aired up.
20200321_141632.jpg

Lost1?

The RC Colorado, PJ Ranger or ML Triton are good options. If you can find a low km petrol example that would save you a few dollars. The diesels will reliably cover 350,000km if maintained properly. MN Tritons can be a bit hit and miss with the alloy heads failing, causing overheating. Same for the PB/PC Challengers. If looking for a Pajero either a petrol or post 2006 NS model. Fuel pumps on the 3.2L NM/NP Pajero are $5-6k if they need to be replaced. But if you find one with a new pump fitted (must have receipts to prove it) it is worth a look.

red hilux

The RC Colorado, PJ Ranger or ML Triton are good options. If you can find a low km petrol example that would save you a few dollars. The diesels will reliably cover 350,000km if maintained properly. MN Tritons can be a bit hit and miss with the alloy heads failing, causing overheating. Same for the PB/PC Challengers. If looking for a Pajero either a petrol or post 2006 NS model. Fuel pumps on the 3.2L NM/NP Pajero are $5-6k if they need to be replaced. But if you find one with a new pump fitted (must have receipts to prove it) it is worth a look.
I was speaking to a mate that has a 3.2 Pajero. He says the fuel pump issue is due to hot fuel, don’t run your paj under 1/4 tank, and you shouldn’t have this issue

Prof. Average

Thanks everyone, This has really helped.

After doing alot of research that resulted from this i think pajero is the way to go. I go no where nearly rock crawling but love the occasional trip so i think this will be perfect whilst unlike a previous patrol i had looks more like a family car which serves both purposes.

Thanks everyone

Chatty

Your best value for money will be a Pajero - which are the most underrated 4WDs in Australia.

Ours went everywhere we pointed it, as many on here will attest.

oyamum

So $15k is a decent budget in my opinion.

I’m a Mitsubishi fan and have owned every generation of Pajero. A couple tritons and a challenger.
I’d say the challenger is better value than the Pajero . Both are great cars but if you don’t need the luxury and size of a Pajero no use paying the extra $$$.

I know patrols are crazy prices nowadays.
iv owned several and currently own a gu rd28 which honestly is great.
Iv also owned a tb45 gu on dual fuel and it was more economical than my rd28…

buying a tb45/48 gu is a solid choice and opting for a petrol model over diesel saves you $$$$ on purchase price…