Regional Areas Benefiting

Zamunda

We just got back from 12 days in the Southern Flinders. Sure was awesome!

Pleasantly surprised, I noticed a considerably more than usual amount of local tourist traffic. Speaking to a few travellers they said "now that we can not travel overseas, time to travel locally." Speaking to some shop owners in regional towns they said "we have never been this busy." I hope this continues because for far too long we have spent our money in foreign economies. Time for our regional communities to thrive.

DJI_0065.jpg

Waswell

Economically this would be a huge benefit to local businesses... although i'd be interested to know if everyone feels the same sort of positive vibes towards out-of-towners now this second wave is threatening to expand outside the major cities.

The missus, the dog and I are are packing the cruiser and headed from the NSW Central Coast down the south coast for an extended weekend to visit family tomorrow, so i guess we'll get to work that one out on our own.

Warby

Economically this would be a huge benefit to local businesses... although i'd be interested to know if everyone feels the same sort of positive vibes towards out-of-towners now this second wave is threatening to expand outside the major cities.

The missus, the dog and I are are packing the cruiser and headed from the NSW Central Coast down the south coast for an extended weekend to visit family tomorrow, so i guess we'll get to work that one out on our own.
In WA, everything I have heard so far (second hand at the moment - I haven't had the chance to get away yet, but lots of my colleagues did over school holidays) echoes the positive sentiments in the OP.

Warby

Let's hope so but as far as Qld goes from radio reports, does'nt seem to be happening yet.
I think those regions which were previously tourism "hotspots" will see far less benefit and have a much bleaker spin on things than general rural towns and regions. Areas like NEQ have lost the large interstate and international tourist customer base that they previously had, which local travellers are unlikely to be sufficient to make up for.

Regions which have never experienced high levels of tourism will be seeing an uptick, as a number of people choose to explore their own backyard instead of going interstate to the more traditional tourist spots (NEQ, North West WA, South West WA, the Barossa region, etc etc) or overseas.

Albynsw

I have heard from a local at Bourke that there are people everywhere up around the border towns so it would definitely be good for business
You think how many people normally are flying somewhere every day for a holiday, they are still going somewhere which is good for the local economy

Aaron Schubert

I've never seen so many people on the road as the last couple of weeks in WA. We did the Ningaloo Coast and it was packed. Broome is the new Bali too, I hear, and they've just introduced cheap flights from Perth to Broome and Kununurra.

I'm pleased to see so many people out enjoying this magic country, and hope the local businesses cop a big boost from it all.

Aaron

cam04

I spent 5 days last week on a quick tour of south east QLD around Blackbutt and the Bunya Mountains area. Camp grounds were full in the middle of the week. The Bunyas on the weekend was chockers.

monbeg

Got back on Saturday from a week in the Flinders Ranges (Rawnsley etc).
Last Saturday week they had over two hundred people through the Blinman pub for lunches, take aways and coffee etc.

Most seem to be that side now that Ayres Rock has been railroaded. Pink roadhouse up for sale now i've been told, less traffic ??

Zamunda

Got back on Saturday from a week in the Flinders Ranges (Rawnsley etc).
Last Saturday week they had over two hundred people through the Blinman pub for lunches, take aways and coffee etc.

Most seem to be that side now that Ayres Rock has been railroaded. Pink roadhouse up for sale now i've been told, less traffic ??
We too were in that neck of the woods. We stayed at a friends place in Wilmington and toured from there.

dusta77

I've never seen so many people on the road as the last couple of weeks in WA. We did the Ningaloo Coast and it was packed. Broome is the new Bali too, I hear, and they've just introduced cheap flights from Perth to Broome and Kununurra.

I'm pleased to see so many people out enjoying this magic country, and hope the local businesses cop a big boost from it all.

Aaron
i'm all for people flooding the coast. leaves the magic areas of the gascoyne, goldfields and wheatbelt free of people :)

Rusty Panels

We've always thought that we wanted to see Australia before we went overseas. There are so many beautiful and spectacular parts to this country. Sure there are some spectacular sights all over the world but I reckon I want to see what's on offer here first.
The down side to having more local tourism over here though, is that we risk many of these places becoming less than pristine. I mean look at Cape York for example, I travelled the Tip in the late 80's and even then it was showing signs of being over visited.
Imagine if it takes off and everyone buys a 4x4 to see more of the place! Those favourite spots of yours won't be a secret for long.

G_ute

There is still a large number of people, probably the majority, who want a holiday to mean staying in a hotel/resort, lounging on the beach, boozing up in bars. No interest in driving/camping/'the outdoors' or even anything 'cultural'.
And somewhere like Bali which will always be cheaper than Australia.
Most of these people will wait for the borders to open up so they can 'get out of Dodge'

Last edited:

Grippy

Spent a few days on Kangaroo Island last week, wasn't too busy, although the ferry was booked all day. The Penneshaw pub had a decent crowd eating lunch. Now that Flinders Chase is open again there were a few punters down that way but nowhere near capacity from the looks of the carparks. Not much else open though, Soo much of the island got burnt earlier this year. Still a ripper place to visit.
I was happy as the Mrs usually wants a 5 star stay somewhere on a freaking plane, however she was desperate to get out and booked it as she knows I like to drive. Now if I can get her to camp

SuperSteve

We're definitely seeing a lot of tourists out my way, but it's been nowhere near a normal tourist season. That's probably due to lots of events and festivals being cancelled.