Red Line Water Wetter

patrol dude

Hi Guys, i have read a bit about Red Line - Water Wetter it appears to be OK. Would love some real world feed back on it. I drive a 2000 4.2TD Patrol and am looking at dropping the temp just a little bit, thought this might help. Any feed back would be greatly appriciated. Cheers

Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives - WaterWetter®

WaterWetter®
Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
May allow more spark advance for increase power and efficiency
Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles. Small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOLTM and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Satisfies ASTM D2570 and ASTM D1384 corrosion tests for glycol-based antifreezes

ABOUT RED LINE WATERWETTER® COOLANT ADDITIVES

Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

bally

Banned
i see your from rockhampton. take your patrol to shaun at diesel central and get him to tune it. it will do wonders for your egt's and engine temps..... a lot of the time these run hot from backyard tune jobbies...

patrol dude

Hi bally, been their mate, real happy with what the boys have done. The EGTs are fine under normal circumstances, just trying to maximise the cooling when punching up some of those big ranges with the camper on the back etc. Hence the query about the Red Line product. Cheers

Jaye

Interesting stuff. I know Redline do a good job on their oils, pretty good stuff.

bally

Banned
pick yourself up a 3 core coppe brass radiator, mines been to swaffy for some EXTENSIVE work and was getting hot when pushed hard, new radiator and the old girl keeps on staying cool as a cucumber. otherwise look at hi flowing your waterpump or upgrading intercooler to help cool it as well

bally

Banned
Hi bally, can you explain this part to me?

the cooler the air is post turbo, the cooler the intake temps going into the engine, also reduces your EGT's as well.. if your feeding high temps into an engine it has to work harder to cool itself, if your feeding cooler temps into it the less work is needed to keep it at its normal operating/regulated temp. this work is being done by the radiator so if it hasnt got to cope with higher intake temps the cooler it will run.

Xagtho

I understand what you are saying, but I was under a different impression...

Intercoolers allow denser (therefore more) air into each cylinder, resulting in a larger combustion explosion, which in turn results in a larger amount of heat produced.

Say an intercooler installed on a previously non intercooled engine which was properly tuned netted a power increase of 20%, there would also be a 20% increase of the amount of heat produced. 20% more heat is a lot more to dissipate, & I'd imagine a cooler intake temperature may not be enough to offset this?

I have noticed in research to fix cooling issues on some past cars that if an intercooled model was available they sometimes have a radiator which is near double the volume of some of the non intercooled variants of the same car, I don't think they this just to fill in gaps in the support panel.

bally

Banned
I understand what you are saying, but I was under a different impression...

Intercoolers allow denser (therefore more) air into each cylinder, resulting in a larger combustion explosion, which in turn results in a larger amount of heat produced.

Say an intercooler installed on a previously non intercooled engine which was properly tuned netted a power increase of 20%, there would also be a 20% increase of the amount of heat produced. 20% more heat is a lot more to dissipate, & I'd imagine a cooler intake temperature may not be enough to offset this?

I have noticed in research to fix cooling issues on some past cars that if an intercooled model was available they sometimes have a radiator which is near double the volume of some of the non intercooled variants of the same car, I don't think they this just to fill in gaps in the support panel.

there is a big difference in heat produced by petrol and diesel. what you've mentioned works more towards petrol tuning i believe.

power increase doesnt always mean more heat especially in diesels (if tuned properly) More often then not it will run cooler as the tuner has properly set timing to allow for a cleaner burn/combustion. hence why you can sometimes go 2-2.5x the original engines hp without touching your radiator and an intercooler helps keeps these charge temps in check.

Xagtho

there is a big difference in heat produced by petrol and diesel. what you've mentioned works more towards petrol tuning i believe.

power increase doesnt always mean more heat especially in diesels (if tuned properly) More often then not it will run cooler as the tuner has properly set timing to allow for a cleaner burn/combustion. hence why you can sometimes go 2-2.5x the original engines hp without touching your radiator and an intercooler helps keeps these charge temps in check.

Hi bally, I wasn't referring solely to a power increase, this was only a byproduct of an increase in air volume.

I think you might find the ratio of greater combustion to heat generated between diesel and petrol would not be too much different in passenger cars.

The radiator size difference I mentioned earlier was in relation to diesel engines.

patrol dude

Hi Guys, thanks for the feed back - intercooler and radiator are both PWR items and work a treat. Was just trying to do some research on the Red Line Product. Cheers

Soot

I know it sounds like marketing hype but it does actually 'make water wetter'. I have seen engines stripped down after using this and it is obvious that it works well given the lack of corrosion on both ali and cast iron.

It dose work but it won't make a massive difference royal purple has the same product your better of getting a better radiator ceramic coating the exhaust, intake and turbo and venting the hood it will run alot cooler.