Recovery hitch confusion

JBird

Hey all,

Just looking for a bit of clarification here on recovery hitches.

Now call me stupid, but I just purchased one of these hitches assuming that it would make life easier when doing recoveries rather than squeezing a strap into the hitch receiver and just using the pin. So after paying the man and walking out with my nice shiny new boxed-up hitch, I get home only to take it out the box and read the sticker attached to it that read: DO NOT USE FOR SNATCH RECOVERY.

Well to say that I was dumbfounded would be an understatement, even one of low intelligence would assume that an item called a "recovery hitch" is used for none other than RECOVERIES!

So ... can you guess what my question is?

Yes, that's right! Can this hitch be used for snatching or is it just designed for towing/winching? Is it safe, or is this just a way for the manufacturer to cover their arse if something should go awol?

Jason

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Post a pic of the unit and the sticker

Its the classic disclaimer - "if we say we aren't responsible then we don't think we are responsible if you get hurt cos we told you so "

Risk and Liability.......... Liability and Risk. Risk and OHS ............ OHS and Risk. Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Last edited:

prawns

Ive used my recovery hitch for snatching quite a few times now (never been a issue sofar touch wood - I bought it specifically for snatching infact)

Mine was sold as a proper recovery hitch also - it never came with any warning stickers about not snatching with it though thats interesting - and probably more a liability thing I agree/hope (seeing that sticker is a bit of a worry though I bet)

Maybe you can email the company and ask them when they started putting the stickers on and for what reason - The answer might be interesting

darb

Take it back and advise false advertising / not fit for advertised (or reasonably implied) purpose.

Refund time

Fwiw I just use the pin and stick the snatch strap into my hayman Reese reciever.

Not that I've ever been recovered! (*cough cough*)

** Sent from Tapatalk**

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I presume its a solid piece of 50x50 square, machined down at one end with hole for D shackle?
Chuck up a photo as mentioned. Also where was it bought from? My guess is its to cover their arse!

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Mostly these are solid, single hole for pin, but as in pic below some have 2 holes so it can be turned 90 degrees . . .

The other pic below shows what I've sometimes seen online, a HOLLOW unit, which shouldn't be used for snatching.

I would go back and ask the suppliers story, and if they say not for snatching, would get a refund and buy one from another company.

Attachments

• billet_recovery.jpg
    billet_recovery.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 185
  • billet_NOT4recovery.jpg
    billet_NOT4recovery.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 147

darb

Calling something "recovery" then saying it can't be snatched with is like selling a swimming pool that you can't put water in.

** Sent from Tapatalk**

JBird

Mostly these are solid, single hole for pin, but as in pic below some have 2 holes so it can be turned 90 degrees . . .

The other pic below shows what I've sometimes seen online, a HOLLOW unit, which shouldn't be used for snatching.

I would go back and ask the suppliers story, and if they say not for snatching, would get a refund and buy one from another company.

Is exactly the same as the first pic you posted Les: solid 2 holes.

Am going to email the company to get their take on it.

Here's the sticker.

IMAG0110_zps375fb58e.jpg

IMAG0111_zpsf3c6059a.jpg

cptmud

I have never seen that sticker before. Looks like its made from a solid peice of metal, and I take it the shackle is rated. But if in doubt, always use a winch dampner when doing any sort of recovery.

Swaggie

Certainly looks like a recovery hitch, maybe the sticker licker got overzealous at xssy time as they do :eek::eek:

Its possibly on the wrong hitch.

80lover96gxl

Well it certinly looks like a recovery hitch for sure but it would always be in the back of your mind if used for snatching.

As said earlier, get in touch with the manufacturer and ask them first hand why it cannot be used for snatch recoveries.

Id even be skeptical using it for a winch recovery or fitting a snatch block to it.
Get the clear facts from the manufacturer rather than risk injuy to yourself or anyone else before using it for your intended purpose.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Get the clear facts from the manufacturer rather than risk injuy to yourself or anyone else

And be prepared for a load of legal sidestepping , arse covering and "why do you want to know that for ?" correspondence

They will likely immediately think that you are a potential claimant sizing them up :D

I'd just take it back and get my money back and go find one suitable to task.

BTW, from here on in no one who sees that sticker will purchase or keep one of them, so without doing anything other than post that pic they just lots a heap of sales ;) :D

Last edited:

FODFA

Read what's written your towbar, it should clearly be marked "for towing purposes only" and in the case of the OP is only rated to 2500kg. Presumably the plan is to attach an 8000kg + snatch strap to it.

Seems rather pointless to worry about the sticker on the receiver hitch when you already ignore the warnings / ratings on the towbar! Take the sicker off and forget about it.

Cheers Andrew

JBird

And we have an answer.

I fired an email off to the manufacturer earlier today, and apparently I wasn't the first; This was their reply.

...................................................................................................

Thanks for your enquiry. I have had a couple of emails on this same subject over the last few day. When I received the first enquiry I immediately got in contact with our manufacturing plant and asked them where this sticker came from and who told them to start to use it. After speaking to 3 different people I got the answer I was looking for. A representative from a towbar manufacture made a couple points to them.

1. A warning sticker had to be put on the Recovery Hitch as a safety precaution.
2. Towbars are given a rating based on the vehicles capabilities of pulling a certain weight. The largest capacity towbar in the 4x4 genre is 3500kg.
3. The recovery hitch has a shackle fitted that is Rated to 4700kg. This makes the weakest link the towbar.
4. Towbar testing has confirmed that over 2 times the kinetic energy is produced when using a Snatch Strap compared to a towing strap

After hearing these valid point the guys in manufacturing created the sticker in question. However the sticker that should have been put on the Recovery Hitch should have read as follows:

“DO NOT EXCEED THE SAFE WORKING LOAD OF TOWBAR, HITCH OR SHACKLE”

I have now had this sticker printed and they are being sent to all warehouses and stores as we speak.

.......................................................................................................

So there you have it guys, mystery solved. I guess the only question left now is would you guys still use your recovery hitches for snatching after reading that?

From my perspective it obviously comes down to the discretion of the vehicle owner I guess, and whether he or she is willing to risk damaging their vehicle ... and of course the owner of the second vehicle that may or may not want to risk a towbar being fired at them from a slingshot.

mac_man_luke

Cant see a tow bar actually ever being the weakest link, tow bar rating takes into many more factors.

Strap then chassis would be weakest link id think.

darb

That's a very valid point foda. That said I think towing tonnage refers more to driveline strength and torque delivery tolerance (that manufActurers choose to warrant) than raw chassis ability. Maybe ?

I think the rating in recovery gear is more to do with human safety (metal snapping and hitting skulls) ... Rather than any worry about bending chassis.

True tho, can bend a chassis snatching too hard or angled.

** Sent from Tapatalk**

80lover96gxl

Guess its a good reminder for everyone to check their towbars, bolts tight and not corroded,,structural defects and mounting points.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk