Recovery gone wrong

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hmmmm

not good

Question 1, why would he not follow existing tyre tracks going through the puddle?

Question 2, why would you try to turn a vehicle snatching and not keep straight?

Question 3, Why would you not turn the other vehicle around and use the winch?

cheers

marty e

I think they were panicking and they could not use the winch
He had no breaks

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
He had no breaks

I reckon you'd be right about panicking

You could still use your winch, attach to bogged vehicle, put your car into reverse & stop the engine, brake using your foot brakes, start winching - not that hard surely.

cheers

marty e

I would like to see the end result what happened after it rolled.
The bloke that rolled the car is a bit of a boofhead I have seen him in other shows doing stupid things

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Two snatch straps and a winch cable - ( probably got other stuff on board as well ) that would give them ample distance to pull it with the winch unit sitting back on solid ground - someone didn't think about it first.

Episode 2 could be entertaining:D

80lover96gxl

Ooopps, that was definitely a winch job, doubled up and controlled pull rather than disaster.
Panic situations create irrational decisions, clearly to much haste giving you the end result.
Silly buggers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Frankensurf

Have you seen this show? I caught a couple of episodes and thought that these guys were... well... wankers.

One of the episodes I saw had them setting fire to the bush in the name of the "original inhabitant's land management practices". idiots!

Swaggie

He had no breaks

Firstly yeah it is there fault, if it wasn't they wouldn't be there, you have to be in it to win it. Lol
(Sorry marty its not in reply to yours multi post never came up lol)

Secondly there from that area I beleive or have 4wdrived plenty of that country, probably done that crossing hundreds of times before and got away with it in drier seasons there luck was up this time.

There you go it happens to us all PANIC , big tidal flows up there and the thought of losing your fully decked out rig and gear, time wasnt on there side, you make silly decisions while in its grasp.

If anything it shows there just like the rest of us while portraying there professionals and I mean no malice in this statement.

Last edited:

Grumpy

My first questions is simply WHY
Why not take a few minutes to access the situation first and why would expereinced 4x4ers advertise this unless it's to show the rest of us how stupid rash decisions can turn pear shaped, would really love to see another 5 minutes of the saga as it unfolds.

mattyj

I reckon you'd be right about panicking

You could still use your winch, attach to bogged vehicle, put your car into reverse & stop the engine, brake using your foot brakes, start winching - not that hard surely.

cheers

reverse while winching ive done it to stop my 4x4 from moving forward

peterfermtech

How easy it is to be a critic and an expert when you're sitting at a computer watching something with a limited perspective.

Sometimes you make bad decisions and sometimes SH@T happens. Maybe the wheels just sunk on that side causing the vehicle to pull to the side and roll.

regards

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
How easy it is to be a critic and an expert when you're sitting at a computer watching something with a limited perspective.

Sometimes you make bad decisions and sometimes SH@T happens. Maybe the wheels just sunk on that side causing the vehicle to pull to the side and roll.

regards

Sorry, I am confused, in the first paragraph you are criticising us for making comment on something that concerns us all and then go on in your second paragraph to add conjecture on the subject - am I missing something here.

Mate it is a forum and we reserve the right to express ourselves and our views, if you don't like it then you have the right to ignore the thread.

My take is that we can all learn from this and maybe save our own or someone elses arse should this ever happen

no offence

cheers

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer

regards

Unfortunately absolutely correct, as hindsight is always 20/20 and if it helps anyone here should they get into a syhite spot like that to stop and think a bit first then its well worth the autopsy IMHO

peterfermtech

No problems with analysing the situation. It lines like these that I find don't help.

"only got themselves to blame"
"thought that these guys were... well... wankers"

regards

Swaggie

regards

Unfortunately absolutely correct, as hindsight is always 20/20 and if it helps anyone here should they get into a syhite spot like that to stop and think a bit first then its well worth the autopsy IMHO

That's how I see it fellas, if 4wdriving was easy why do we take recovery gear, winches, lockers and the list goes on.

Sure sometimes you could have done things better in hindsight but isn't that how we learn. ???

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's how I see it fellas, if 4wdriving was easy why do we take recovery gear, winches, lockers and the list goes on.

Sure sometimes you could have done things better in hindsight but isn't that how we learn. ???

Not always , sometimes we can learn from other peoples mistakes... like this one :D:D

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
No problems with analysing the situation. It lines like these that I find don't help.

"only got themselves to blame"
"thought that these guys were... well... wankers"

regards

Ah gotcha

I guess he was expressing his concern about them setting fire to the scrub and had formed an opinion about them from that - I reckon I would be pretty dark on people setting fire to stuff as well though

cheers

bowie911

I was always told to have a walk first. That would have told them not to cross. They said themselves that they were tidal mud flats. Wasn't there also a tree up on the bank to tie off the truck with no brakes and then use that winch. no 20/20 needed as these guys have plenty of experience and especially in these areas. Hope no one got hurt.