Reconn R2 Hybrid long term review

discomatt

Good review, these vans did get a look at and consideration when we were looking at options and come in very close to the top of the list.
The only thing that steered me away was a comment made by a good friend who had been through a few vans and different set ups.
Which is really good advise for anyone looking at different options, look forward as best you can and think about whether that choice will suit you in 2,3,,4 or 5 years, much cash can be wasted in upgrading every 2-3 years because you decide something different suits better.
I think a 10 year plan is about right when looking at camper trailers or vans.

Aaron Schubert

Cheers. Yep, once you start throwing a decent chunk of coin at something its worth taking a long term approach. That said, if you buy a good quality unit they don't seem to depreciate that much.

Ours should be good for at least another 5 - 8 years. We are planning on doing a lap of Australia in it.

Aaron

Bru9

The big turn off for me is the sheer weight, nothing short of a 79 pick upis needed to go in real offroading & even that tow vehicle would most likely break pretty quick, cost a fortune, very limited in tray payload due to keeping the shock forces low.
On the other hand one advantage over a camper trailer is with CTs you have to sometimes store so much stuff on the drawbar so the TBM can approch 250kg easily. Which is my problem, some I have looked at would be nearly 250kg by the time I added what I wanted. So I have stayed with my overlanding wagon with small box trailer. No doubt hybrids are better for a big lap, as that doesn't entail as much hard offroading.

The other turn off for me is they have a very small kicthen area on the side of the rig, so you have to bend over to acess & just can't make good meals. The dead giveaway of a small sink is one where you keep banging the saucpan pot on the sides & tape while cleaning, absolutley drives me made. I carry a fullsize large sink w/ sides on folded legs that gives me a good meal prep area for those extended stays. Also dunno how you could keep dry under that small hatch? Thats where a 270quick freestand awning is greatly needed.

A well thought out offroad camper can be set up in 5mins, store 800watts of solar on roof, albiet RTT or boat loader. average 300L water all up, push it at times to 400L, carry all the chairs, fuel, food, big generator power etc.enough lithium to do 100% cooking w/ induction, hair dryers, etc without breaking a sweat. All for 4people staying put in one spot for up to a month no problems. Of course there is some processing with setup but that means more offroad ability. The way I have planned out the Trackabout extenda it's the most potent deadly efficient thing concievable, not even sheldon cooper & max born combined could have come up with what I have.

By the way that orange light is freaking crazy!!!!!!! Burn your retinas out crazy! I can't stand LED light, I use old scholl halogen 12V bulbs and they give a truley superior colour & look. LED gives a no name look lol.

You gotta be kidding me that much money & the wind effects cooking??yeah Sorry to say virtually all these makers are amateurs withectrical system, for that much money you should get what house boats have imo.

Nice read :cool:

Aaron Schubert

The big turn off for me is the sheer weight, nothing short of a 79 pick upis needed to go in real offroading & even that tow vehicle would most likely break pretty quick, cost a fortune, very limited in tray payload due to keeping the shock forces low.
On the other hand one advantage over a camper trailer is with CTs you have to sometimes store so much stuff on the drawbar so the TBM can approch 250kg easily. Which is my problem, some I have looked at would be nearly 250kg by the time I added what I wanted. So I have stayed with my overlanding wagon with small box trailer. No doubt hybrids are better for a big lap, as that doesn't entail as much hard offroading.

The other turn off for me is they have a very small kicthen area on the side of the rig, so you have to bend over to acess & just can't make good meals. The dead giveaway of a small sink is one where you keep banging the saucpan pot on the sides & tape while cleaning, absolutley drives me made. I carry a fullsize large sink w/ sides on folded legs that gives me a good meal prep area for those extended stays. Also dunno how you could keep dry under that small hatch? Thats where a 270quick freestand awning is greatly needed.

A well thought out offroad camper can be set up in 5mins, store 800watts of solar on roof, albiet RTT or boat loader. average 300L water all up, push it at times to 400L, carry all the chairs, fuel, food, big generator power etc.enough lithium to do 100% cooking w/ induction, hair dryers, etc without breaking a sweat. All for 4people staying put in one spot for up to a month no problems. Of course there is some processing with setup but that means more offroad ability. The way I have planned out the Trackabout extenda it's the most potent deadly efficient thing concievable, not even sheldon cooper & max born combined could have come up with what I have.

By the way that orange light is freaking crazy!!!!!!! Burn your retinas out crazy! I can't stand LED light, I use old scholl halogen 12V bulbs and they give a truley superior colour & look. LED gives a no name look lol.

You gotta be kidding me that much money & the wind effects cooking??yeah Sorry to say virtually all these makers are amateurs withectrical system, for that much money you should get what house boats have imo.

Nice read :cool:
Thanks for taking the time to list all the things you don't like about the camper, and why it doesn't suit you. It does however, suit us very well, and we are very happy with it.

The kitchen area is actually pretty large, and we have no issues doing the dishes, or bending over (for the average person).

The orange LED can be dimmed to almost nothing and is a game changer. I wouldn't be without one.

Not sure what sort of money it takes to turn the wind off, but you obviously know something I don't.

Not everyone has the same needs or requirements, and one product that suits a family may not suit another.

Thanks for your valued opinion :cool:

Aaron

Bru9

Aaron inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder, you would know this if you had half a rational brain.
So I'm not allowed to touch on your review flaws & the bad design flaws aswell lacking features of your expensive Hybrid?

fair enough, back to genral pointless chit chat.

cam04

You haven’t had any issues with the suspension? I was camped next to 2 Victorian couples up at the bunyas 2 weeks ago. They both had lifestyle campers and both have had issues with the trailing arms falling out of alignment - to the extent that they have welded the adjuster nuts. Same old story, manufacturer blames suspension company and vice versa. Apart from that they were happy customers.

Aaron Schubert

Aaron inappropriate is in the eye of the beholder, you would know this if you had half a rational brain.
So I'm not allowed to touch on your review flaws & the bad design flaws aswell lacking features of your expensive Hybrid?

fair enough, back to genral pointless chit chat.
You seem to lack the ability to have a rational conversation, so no, unless that changes there won't be much of a chat. The moment you resort to personal attacks and silly jibes you've lost any credibility you had.

Design flaws are in the eye of the beholder. As I clearly stated, it depends on how you use a camper, and what you want. Your needs are clearly vastly different to mine. If we all wanted the same thing it'd be a boring world.

If you decide to respectfully share your thoughts as a pose to the usual silly remarks that I've seen from you then we can have a good conversation. If you want to continue the disrespect you'll find yourself having a forced break from here.

Aaron

Aaron Schubert

You haven’t had any issues with the suspension? I was camped next to 2 Victorian couples up at the bunyas 2 weeks ago. They both had lifestyle campers and both have had issues with the trailing arms falling out of alignment - to the extent that they have welded the adjuster nuts. Same old story, manufacturer blames suspension company and vice versa. Apart from that they were happy customers.
Hey mate,

Ironically, when we were up at Exmouth just recently a mate of mine pointed out some pretty weird tyre wear on the inside of both tyres. I'd never noticed it up until then, but its never had an alignment since we got it.

I've yet to speak to Cruisemaster about it, but I'll get a resolution.

Do you remember what models they were; imported or Aussie made?

Aaron

discomatt

Cruise master are excellent to deal with with very good customer relations , they need to be serviced every year or 10,000km with an wheel alignment included is the advice I have been given for our hybrid, which in a lot of peoples eyes over priced and under equipped but I love it and used my cash to pay for it so who gives a rats what other people think. I know after 100,000km of touring it will still be in one piece not falling apart like most trailer / vans on the market

Aaron Schubert

I have crusie master suspenion in my CC. I have found on mine that a wheel alignment or at least checked regular to prevent poor tire wear.

Joe
Thanks for that. I will get in touch with them.

Cruise master are excellent to deal with with very good customer relations , they need to be serviced every year or 10,000km with an wheel alignment included is the advice I have been given for our hybrid, which in a lot of peoples eyes over priced and under equipped but I love it and used my cash to pay for it so who gives a rats what other people think. I know after 100,000km of touring it will still be in one piece not falling apart like most trailer / vans on the market
Good to hear. I thought they would be good to deal with, given what I've heard.

Our trailer has probably done 8k or so since I got it, but not sure how many the previous owner did, or whether it was ever aligned.

Yep, not sure why people feel the need to pick apart others decisions. Hybrids are an interesting niche; some seem over priced, but good luck building one half as good without spending a huge chunk of money and time. At the end of the day as long as the owner is happy, that's about all you can ask for

Aaron

cam04

Hey mate,

Ironically, when we were up at Exmouth just recently a mate of mine pointed out some pretty weird tyre wear on the inside of both tyres. I'd never noticed it up until then, but its never had an alignment since we got it.

I've yet to speak to Cruisemaster about it, but I'll get a resolution.

Do you remember what models they were; imported or Aussie made?

Aaron
One was an xt12, one was a hyper. They both mentioned the same conversations about being asked if they were torqued to 180 nm etc etc., but then were told that lifestyle mustn't have done the install properly. Since they tag welded the adjusters - nil further issue. Strange because, as stated above by others, cruisemaster is under everything serious these days and I haven't heard anything poor about them until these two guys. In general they gave glowing reports about the vans as well, so they were either genuine, or worked for a competition suspension mob (they were retirees).
Be careful of 'strange tyre wear' with trailing arms. A lot of us have found similar (scalloped edges, hit and miss knobs on the tyres worn) - for me, lifting the on road tyre pressure from 45 to 55 psi saw my wear issues disappear. Unless it is just the inside simply scrubbing off, which would indicate a similar problem to what to Vic guys had.
I will have something very similar to what you bought one day, but I am constrained by parking, living in the city, and the rear fold camper I have is as big as I can go without major mods or extensions to the house which I am just too lazy to do right now. One day...

Aaron Schubert

One was an xt12, one was a hyper. They both mentioned the same conversations about being asked if they were torqued to 180 nm etc etc., but then were told that lifestyle mustn't have done the install properly. Since they tag welded the adjusters - nil further issue. Strange because, as stated above by others, cruisemaster is under everything serious these days and I haven't heard anything poor about them until these two guys. In general they gave glowing reports about the vans as well, so they were either genuine, or worked for a competition suspension mob (they were retirees).
Be careful of 'strange tyre wear' with trailing arms. A lot of us have found similar (scalloped edges, hit and miss knobs on the tyres worn) - for me, lifting the on road tyre pressure from 45 to 55 psi saw my wear issues disappear. Unless it is just the inside simply scrubbing off, which would indicate a similar problem to what to Vic guys had.
I will have something very similar to what you bought one day, but I am constrained by parking, living in the city, and the rear fold camper I have is as big as I can go without major mods or extensions to the house which I am just too lazy to do right now. One day...
Interesting. They would both be Aussie made too. It's sad when people pass the buck.

The wear is scalloping, but only on the inside edge of both tyres. I've been running between 45 and 55 PSI on road, depending on how much weight has been on board.

I'll give Cruisemaster a call now and see what they have to say.

I know what you mean about restrictions. My Dmax fits in the garage by 30mm, when I park against the wall, and the new camper coupling is off the road by about 100mm!

Aaron

Aaron Schubert

@cam04 , you mentioned XT12 - that's an MDC brand?

I spoke to Cruisemaster, who said that it would be a wheel alignment issue, and backed the 10k service suggestion up. He also made some comments about mud terrains having regular scalloping issues, which is probably true. Given they don't drive, a set of all terrains is probably more suitable for next time.

They have two 'dealers' here in Perth that they recommend. 2 hours labour to do it, and they both wanted the van for a day or so. One said 1 - 2 weeks lead time and the other said 3 weeks. Things must be ticking along well in the van service industry.

I'll get it done soon, and spin the tyres around on the rim, and then stick to a 10k service regiment

Cheers for the help
Aaron

cam04

@cam04 , you mentioned XT12 - that's an MDC brand?

I spoke to Cruisemaster, who said that it would be a wheel alignment issue, and backed the 10k service suggestion up. He also made some comments about mud terrains having regular scalloping issues, which is probably true. Given they don't drive, a set of all terrains is probably more suitable for next time.

They have two 'dealers' here in Perth that they recommend. 2 hours labour to do it, and they both wanted the van for a day or so. One said 1 - 2 weeks lead time and the other said 3 weeks. Things must be ticking along well in the van service industry.

I'll get it done soon, and spin the tyres around on the rim, and then stick to a 10k service regiment

Cheers for the help
Aaron
Correct - AT12 - Freudian slip haha.
Yes, any muds I’ve had on cars have required more care and rotation than AT’s for sure. My last Trakshak had cooper HT’s on it for 12 odd years. I’m not sure they even got rotated. They wore perfectly on the leaf sprung suspension. Maybe we aren’t so bright all going independent after all haha. I do like the way the new one rides though.

Last edited: