Recommendations for a quality100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery

CTL

Just becarefull lots of big brand lit battery have protected bms in their battery and if this bms a sleep you have to use their charger to wake the bms so you can reused the battery
If I understand your statement correctly, you are saying that you need a specific charger to restart a lithium battery’s internal BMS?
If so, then that statement is incorrect. Connecting any DC supply above 12 volts to the lithium battery’s terminals for a few seconds will allow any charger to start charging the lithium. That 12 volt source could be jumper leads to any chemistry battery or a compact jump starter kit.

Last edited:

cam04

I know that you need a lithium profile charger with a wake-up feature to re fire a flat battery, I have not heard about brand specific requirements though. Mine are different brands and work fine.

boobook

If you have any 12v source then it wil wake up batteries. The reason a normal charger may not is because they may not apply any voltage if they don't see a load. Any Charger that has a power supply mode will work fine.

cam04

If you have any 12v source then it wil wake up batteries. The reason a normal charger may not is because they may not apply any voltage if they don't see a load. Any Charger that has a power supply mode will work fine.
I have a hard wired Projecta 25a 240v AGM charger in the camper. It didn't fire the lithium battery up when plugged in, so I had to reverse the ute around and power up the DCDC to get the BMS to wake up. You reckon if I had flipped it over to power supply mode it would have worked? That will save me some stuffing around next time if I can do that. I've been considering getting a lithium profile 240v charger but the reality is I hardly ever use or need it, and these new lithiums charge so quickly off the car or solar. I went camping on the weekend and didn't take any solar so after running the heater for 12+ hours, lights, fridge etc., the 135 AH was dipping down just under 13v by the time I left camp yesterday morning (20-30% capacity). Pretty much exactly 1 hour later it was finished recharging.
C87EEC6F-0346-4865-8B43-15A3EE3B3F35.png

boobook

I am very sure it will work Cam. I have a Ctek 25A unit that would not start the lithium and was not designed for lithiums, but as soon as I put it in power supply mode, it all worked. Another 12V battery in parallel would work too. Even a cranking / AGM.

You would need to check it first, but even 9V little batteries will wake up some lithium batteries. Anything that has a smart charger only probably won't unless it is specifically designed for lithium with that mode.

boobook

As will any solar panel
Matt, personally I would not recommend that, Solar panels are 18 to 21V, and Lithiums do not like over 15.6v and will sustain long-term or immediate damage.

My advice is to never connect a solar panel to a lithium battery, they are very sensitive to over voltage. If you use a regulator, the same thing applies to a charger. normal charging mode may not trigger the wake up, I've never seen a solar regulator that does power supply mode do you have one?

discomatt

I didn't mean unregulated solar, when my van batteries shut themselves down after I left it in touring mode not storage mode and then put the van cover on for 8 months they wouldn't come back to life with the vans DC-DC so I tried with a small solar panel, came back no issue with the standard solar regulator.
Left that hooked up for an hour or so on a cloudy day then refitted to the vans DC-DC and solar panels they were then full in a couple of hours.
Now I always double check the van is in storage mode as it also sets it to soft charge and doesn't keep the lithium's at 100%

cam04

I'd try it at home before realising some numb nut you don't know gave you bad advice when you are 1000km from a way to fix it.

:)

Your milage may vary LOL
All good mate, I only use the 240v at home usually. It is very rare that i am anywhere near power by choice when I camp. I have a parasitic drain (probably bms) somehere, but it has only started since I swapped to lithium. It's not huge but knowing me I'll get to try out your advice sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I had several teething issues with my new lithium setup and have sent my battery into sleep mode 3 or 4 times before I found the issue ( bad connection :rolleyes: ) and each time I used the cranking battery to wake it up before the Enerdrive DCDc took over with the charge.

Komang

Connecting any DC supply above 12 volts to the lithium battery’s terminals for a few seconds will allow any charger to start charging the lithium. That 12 volt source could be jumper leads to any chemistry battery or a compact jump starter kit.
In perfect world yes it will. i should add my statement abit clear
If you depleted your lithium battery or store it when it empty the BCM on the battery will be sleep to protect the cell/battery.
Big brand will only can wake the bms via their on charger. Sample endrive lite I have forgot to charge it and now the bcm sleep and can’t wake up even with 7/25/30A Victron and yes I have 3 victron charger and have tried power supply mode too. I have to buy endrive charger to reset/wake the bcm you can watch it on endrive vidio.

If normal/non big name brand they all find like what you said just plug the charger and it will start charging.
or only me have problem with this lite type endrive

Last edited:

Albynsw

@Komang
The enerdrive charger won’t turn on because it doesn’t detect the battery is there unless I put a jumper lead on it to let it get started and lock on to charge mode and then I disconnect the jumper lead ( about 15 seconds all up) if I disconnect earlier it won’t take over

shaun0

@Komang
The enerdrive charger won’t turn on because it doesn’t detect the battery is there unless I put a jumper lead on it to let it get started and lock on to charge mode and then I disconnect the jumper lead ( about 15 seconds all up) if I disconnect earlier it won’t take over
Had to do the same with my Lithium when i have run it flat a few times! Redarc 1240D wouldnt detect it so jumper leads it was to get it going. Its still going strong now coming up to 4 years continuous use.

Robbo63

My Repco special has died after 18 months of constant daily use running a 40 Litre Engel. We re about to head off for a 6 week outback tour and need a replacement. Lithium maybe an option down the track but not yet.

What is the consensus from the brains trust on here ?
I've had kings now for over 2 years been connected full time to solar, 48 litre fridge, lights, still OK. They have a 200AH lithium on sale at the moment for 999

Robbo63

@Komang
Is the battery below 7v good chance it won't you could just need a new battery if you have to charge up before it recognizes it. Or is it incompatible I.e lithium v agm. Or could be a faulty charger. Try another battery.

Komang

Is the battery below 7v good chance it won't you could just need a new battery if you have to charge up before it recognizes it. Or is it incompatible I.e lithium v agm. Or could be a faulty charger. Try another battery.
The charger all good, have several different brand lithium from cheap to branded one.
@shaun0 and @Albynsw haven’t tried with jump lead as this not on 4wd it for security system with solar and victron controller.
will try jump it with car next time if found the same problem again.