Rear Sway Bar Removal

2mrvdv

At the moment, I'm not going to have a choice but to remove the rear sway bar (highway, city and off road) as I have a broken stud in the chassis, D bushes are worn and 1 link is knackered on my 1997 Holden Jackaroo.

I'll get around to fixing that up when I can but I've read some people have taken off their rear sway bar totally (on different vehicles)... obviously not corning fast or yanking it in otherwords but would it still be okay to travel on highways?

Kippie

Your vehicle will most likely sway more, hence affect cornering stability. I would also check insurance and legalities.

discomatt

You will have more body roll, you will have better off road flex, technically you will have a unroadworthy car.
I know heaps of 4wders who have removed front and rear sway bar s for better off road flex, you need to drive accordingly and hope Murphy doesn’t get you

2mrvdv

I probably wouldnt notice too much considering I could move the sway bar by hand literally left and right up and down (fair bit of movement).

lll take it for a drive today at 80km/h.. I don't want it for the flex, i just needed to take it off because of worn bushes, links but also have a snapped stuff in the chassis that I need to fix

2mrvdv

took it for a drive.. no difference.. probably because the sway bar was so loose already, i never noticed it lol

cam04

took it for a drive.. no difference.. probably because the sway bar was so loose already, i never noticed it lol
Watch out for rear bump steer. Adjustable shocks help a lot if you aren’t going to replace it. Crank them up for road work.

2mrvdv

Watch out for rear bump steer. Adjustable shocks help a lot if you aren’t going to replace it. Crank them up for road work.
I went out on highway with also the most bumpiest part of the highway with roads having either potholes or lumps sticking out of the ground and found no rear issues.
As mentioned, I don't think I felt any difference because of how loose the bar was already and I'm lucky I pulled it off because one sway bar link literally snapped off the joint lol

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Emergency maneuvers and quick overtaking is where you will notice it most. Swerving is going to cause the car to 'sway' and want to move the vehicle around.

Might be fine in normal driving, but you will need to be careful with quick movements until you get things fixed.

2mrvdv

Yeah I hardly overtake anyway as I like to stay around 80/90km/h on the highway (since petrol is a guzzler haha)

Since owning the car, (touch wood) I havent had any incident where I had to swerve or anything... but yeah its going to be fixed when I get more $$ together.