Real Camping.

PJR NSW

Banned
Does this count? Setting up the tent in the lounge room for the youngsters when they stay over. We sometimes put four in there but it takes years to get them to sleep. Unfortunately the yard is too much of a slope.

Phil

DSCF1541_zps071568c0.jpg

prawns

I pack pretty minimal for a weekend away camping

Everything required is in that bag including the tent, poles, sleeping bag, clothes and a 5?litre water container. The beer n food is in the esky - what else do you need? :D

Last edited:

profoto

I draw the line at sleeping on a bunch of flea infested dead rabbits although the dog comes into the tent at night.
I used to sleep in the back of a 60 series but couldn't do it in the 80 as it was a bit shorter, if I adopt the foetal position I could curl up in the tray of the Navara.

PJR NSW

Banned
When we initially got the 100 series, on 30 Dec 2009, we set it up to sleep in the back. Being a little new and naive we didn't think about fridges, and the like. It was long enough and wide enough inside, with a bed extension to the drawers, to give us a large double bed arrangement.

Went great until we found out that an esky wasn't good enough. So a fridge was installed and that meant the bed dropped to a very wide single bed. Fine in the high country cold but a pain in the tropics.

So we got fridge, and tent and then the configuration grew to a point where we can carry two fridges (3 batteries), a portable potty, heaps on camping stuff (don't forget the ensuite) and of course enough food (and ice blocks) for up to three weeks. GVM - What's that.

Oh and a roof top tent now. Fun hey?

Phil

underdog

This is an inspiring thread. What r the 'rules' for finding a 'real' camping site? Can u drive thru a NP til u find a place u like and set up? We're new to 4WDing and have previously only gone camping at caravan parks.

Walking a different path...

www.suburbanaussiedad.blogspot.com.au

Despite the turn this thread took, don't read too much into it mate. We all start somewhere; so long as you're getting out there and giving it a go, that's all that matters.

Respectfully,
Ian.

PJR NSW

Banned
This is an inspiring thread. What r the 'rules' for finding a 'real' camping site?

A good start is to get maps with the more widely know spots on them and try some of those. We started with the Hema maps. Look for the tent symbol and start there.

Another option is to join a 4WD club and go on their trips.

Just like on the sample shown below of the Simpson Desert. Note the three blue tent symbols.

Phil

fullscreencapture1904201384907am_zps3f89363b.jpg

hiluxdriver

A good start is to get maps with the more widely know spots on them and try some of those. We started with the Hema maps. Look for the tent symbol and start there.

Another option is to join a 4WD club and go on their trips.

Just like on the sample shown below of the Simpson Desert. Note the three blue tent symbols.

Phil

995542_fullscreencapture1904201384907am_zps3f89363b.jpg

Don't join a 4wd club, 4x4Earth is all you need. Get yourself on some trips, talk to some other members and go from there. Prawns and Swaggie are geniuses, pick their brains if you can.

PJR NSW

Banned
Thanks for the tip on the Hema Maps. A rookie question: does the Hema Android app have all the same information?

No idea mate. We use Oziexplorer in both a laptop and a two din navigation and entertainment unit installed in the dash. Never used an App or even an Android. Don't even have a smart phone so I can't help you.

Phil

PJR NSW

Banned
Don't join a 4wd club, 4x4Earth is all you need. Get yourself on some trips, talk to some other members and go from there.

Totally disagree. There are heaps of people there that you can follow and learn from. Especially when sitting around a fire and when the "tall" (joking) trek tales come out. We learnt heaps doing that. A map is always needed and then you get your info from wherever you can. There are plenty of 4WD and off road touring internet sites that can tell you also. And then there are the rangers. They are the best because they go there often and know what the sites and tracks are like. They gave me the Balfour Track: Balfour Track Tasmania Christmas Day 2013 - YouTube It's not on 4x4Earth

And by jouining a club you meet the people to go camping with, before you go. It's a bit late when you arrange to meet someone in the bush and you get there and they stink to high heaven or has some habit that you can't stand.

Use the club to get on the trips as well as a site if you wish. And there are others with differing ideas on camping and touring.

NO Swaggie and Prawns I don't mean you two. I hope so anyway. :)

A club has more uses than just finding out where to camp.

Phil

Last edited:

hiluxdriver

Totally disagree. There are heaps of people there that you can follow and learn from. Especially when sitting around a fire and when the "tall" (joking) trek tales come out. We learnt heaps doing that. A map is always needed and then you get your info from wherever you can. There are plenty of 4WD and off road touring internet sites that can tell you also. And then there are the rangers. They are the best because they go there often and know what the sites and tracks are like. They gave me the Balfour Track: Balfour Track Tasmania Christmas Day 2013 - YouTube It's not on 4x4Earth

And by jouining a club you meet the people to go camping with, before you go. It's a bit late when you arrange to meet someone in the bush and you get there and they stink to high heaven or has some habit that you can't stand.

Use the club to get on the trips as well as a site if you wish. And there are others with differing ideas on camping and touring.

NO Swaggie and Prawns I don't mean you two. I hope so anyway. :)

A club has more uses than just finding out where to camp.

Phil

Each to their own then I guess.