Re-indexing Torsion Bars

Rusty Panels

This has probably been talked about many times before but here I go anyway.

I fitted a 50mm lift kit to my 100 Series to help with the ride etc. I used a well known brand with a pretty good reputation and have no complaints so far. I actually fitted it about 6 months ago and replaced the torsion bars shortly after the install because the originals were a bit sad and made very little difference when I wound them up.
To cut a long story short everything went well except that even with the new torsion bars installed I still couldn't get any more than about 15mm extra height on the front. Everything was clearly marked including the original factory marks on the torsion bar holders. The new bars also had fitting marks painted on the splines so you couldn't really stuff it up. I found though that I had to have them wound up to the maximum (almost, about 3 threads left on the bolts) to get the extra 15mm lift.
I put up with it for a while and was resigned to the fact that the old cruiser was still sitting low at the front and that was the best I could do. That changed today.
I recently installed a hoist in my shed and thought I would raise the 100 and see what I could do. In short I removed the bars and painted a new mark on the splines at the adjuster end. I increased it by 3 splines and refitted them. So, now with 10 turns of the bolts (screwed in till finger tight then adjusted) the ride height is what it was before my lift kit. I then tried an additional 4 turns per bolt and I now have 40mm of lift with plenty of bolt thread on either side of the adjuster for further adjustment if required.
The other upside to this is that my CV joints are still sitting near level so my lift shouldn't accelerate premature wear and tear.

I've gotta say that I wish I had have installed the hoist years ago. They make everything so much easier.
Oh What a Feeling!

Rusty Panels

This post is useless without pictures and possibly an address of where this hoist can be found
Sorry, I didn't put a photo in, I wasn't going to plug the product but seeing how you asked, it is a Tufflift brand, 4 tonne capacity. It was just under $3,800 delivered from Sydney. There are heaps of different brands and sizes available but I went with this one because of the height. My 12 x 7 shed has 3 metre high walls and I installed it between the 4.0 metre spans. It's hard to tell from the photo but there is enough height under the cruiser for me to easily work. I actually had it a bit too far back in this photo and it will clear the beams when it's properly positioned. I have already serviced 3 vehicles using it and it makes the job so much easier. I reckon it will pay for itself seeing how I service and repair my 3 cars plus my son's.

IMG_1799.JPG

IMG_1808.JPG

Last edited:

RBJET

Me and the old man are currently looking at the same hoist and these pics are very helpful for me, just signed off on a 7x10 shed :)

Rusty Panels

I forgot to mention that I had to pick it up in my trailer from the local freight depot because I don't have a fork lift. It weighs about 700kg all up. I had to install an extra beam and supports to hang my chain block to lift it off. They are packed in a metal frame and you simply dismantle the frame and remove it in 2 parts. My son and I managed to manhandle it into position fairly easily. Brilliant bit of gear.

smitty_r51

I forgot to mention that I had to pick it up in my trailer from the local freight depot because I don't have a fork lift. It weighs about 700kg all up. I had to install an extra beam and supports to hang my chain block to lift it off. They are packed in a metal frame and you simply dismantle the frame and remove it in 2 parts. My son and I managed to manhandle it into position fairly easily. Brilliant bit of gear.
and given you are fairly local to me do i need to make a booking or can i just rock up :D

Triton14

I recently installed a hoist in my shed

I've gotta say that I wish I had have installed the hoist years ago. They make everything so much easier.
Oh What a Feeling!
OMG I am so jealous, that would be an awesome thing to have & would be a dream for me.

I didnt think they would be that cheap, does that include everything @ $3500?

Got to own a garage 1st :p

Rusty Panels

does that include everything @ $3500?
Sorry but it was actually $3,715 in total then if you add the extra $60 for a longer 18mm masonry drill bit and the bit of conduit to route the power to the centre of my shed another $15 then it rounds off to $3790.
I had already wired my shed with 15amp cable to the gable just in case I needed it at some point.
But the hoist came with everything including the oil and dynabolts to secure it. Once installed all you need to do is plug it in.

would be an awesome thing to have & would be a dream for me.
I should have done it years ago, I am always tinkering with cars and generally do all my own repairs. I look at it this way, if you want something done whether it's suspension, brakes, oil changes or whatever it will cost you a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars for the labour alone. It all adds up and I reckon it will have paid for itself in no time. Plus it saves my old bones from laying on the concrete and skating about on a garage creeper (I end up with aches everywhere nowadays).

CTL

Sorry but it was actually $3,715 in total then if you add the extra $60 for a longer 18mm masonry drill bit and the bit of conduit to route the power to the centre of my shed another $15 then it rounds off to $3790.
I had already wired my shed with 15amp cable to the gable just in case I needed it at some point.
But the hoist came with everything including the oil and dynabolts to secure it. Once installed all you need to do is plug it in.

I should have done it years ago, I am always tinkering with cars and generally do all my own repairs. I look at it this way, if you want something done whether it's suspension, brakes, oil changes or whatever it will cost you a minimum of a couple of hundred dollars for the labour alone. It all adds up and I reckon it will have paid for itself in no time. Plus it saves my old bones from laying on the concrete and skating about on a garage creeper (I end up with aches everywhere nowadays).
$hit my budget doesn't even extend to a garage creeper :(

Cruizin Tomatoes

I really love your hoist and the look of your cruiser! I've just had new suspension fitted all round with a 50mm lift including heavy duty EFS torsion bars but my front end still sags like previously :( The installer said it is lifted and matches the guard to bottom of wheel limit of 753mm which is what the specs should be. Do you know how much lift you achieved from the front end as I really think he is BS'ing me?