Ratchet Straps

abw

I've been using ratchet straps for the last few years to tie down camping gear to the roof tray. One lot I bought from BigW. They were cheap, but not too bad. Though, after a couple of years, half of the set rattled to bits...heading along a corregated road I'd hear "ping" and bits of the ratchet assembly were on the roof (and down the road). So last year, I bought some "Grunt" brand rathet straps from Bunnings. However, they've been a pain, as they bind up making it hard to release them.

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend some decent (330-500kg) ratchet straps?
cheers.

peterfermtech

CRC works to stop them binding.
Unfortunately the cheap imports have knocked off the quality ones and I haven't been able to find any worth recommending.

regards

eman

Have the same issue with my ratchet straps, both grunt and synco or whatever the brand is from bunnings. Usually get the shits and throw the ratchet on the ground to unlock it...
Also having the same issue as peter, can't find anything worth recommending.

Chatty

My suggestion would be go to your local truck equipment supply place (like Hy-Way) and have a look at their straps. But be prepared to pay big bucks for them.

Reactions: abw

GUnka

Many years ago when I was in charge of the maintenance section of a previous employer I purchased a few pairs for our work utes, I think through Blackwoods at the time. Anyway, they are Span Set brand rated at 500kg. These are the best ratchet straps I have yet to came across. After probably 10 years they are still going strong and have never failed me. One of the good things about them that I have yet to find on any of the cheapies is that they have locking grooves in the closed position. Have no idea what I paid at the time as cost wasn't a big concern but these things have outlasted any of the cheap ones I have had ten fold. Just give em a spray with some lube every now and again, a dry silicon works best as doesn't attract the dust.

Reactions: abw