RAM Australia have released the 2500 with the Cummins..

Chatty

Ram have been running the Cummins engine for a long, long time now, so nothing new there.

As for torque - my Sierra in stock trim delivers 1,234NM of torque (about 10%more than the Ram).
Power wise, 332kW for the Sierra compared to 275kW for the Ram.

Tell me again why you reckon the Ram is so good?

Plus, my Sierra was cheaper than the Ram for the same trim level and the winner for me was that Walkinshaw (American Special Vehicles/Ram Australia) was not involved in the conversion, so I know my vehicle is much better quality and has a lot fewer problems.

I drove both - the Ram looks, sounds and feels shoddy compared to the Sierra.

joshinthecity

Ram have been running the Cummins engine for a long, long time now, so nothing new there.
Yes Chatty, I know. The new thing is they are available here for the first time. RAM Australia have only offered petrol up to this point.
As for torque - my Sierra in stock trim delivers 1,234NM of torque (about 10%more than the Ram).
Power wise, 332kW for the Sierra compared to 275kW for the Ram.
I'm sure you're right.
Tell me again why you reckon the Ram is so good?
I didn't say it was. I said the Cummins was now available in Oz from RAM.
Plus, my Sierra was cheaper than the Ram for the same trim level and the winner for me was that Walkinshaw (American Special Vehicles/Ram Australia) was not involved in the conversion, so I know my vehicle is much better quality and has a lot fewer problems.

I drove both - the Ram looks, sounds and feels shoddy compared to the Sierra.
I'm sure you're right there also.

Chatty

Yes Chatty, I know. The new thing is they are available here for the first time. RAM Australia have only offered petrol up to this point.

I'm sure you're right.

I didn't say it was. I said the Cummins was now available in Oz from RAM.

I'm sure you're right there also.
Ram Australia have been selling the Cummins diesel engine in the 2500 in Australia for at least 4 years now, possibly longer.
I know, I looked at buying one in early 2018, from a RAM Australia dealer. RAM Australia's marketing from 2017 and onwards refers to the Cummins engine.

Previous to RAM Australia coming on the scene, various converters had been offering the diesel engine for a number of years.

Have a look at the RAM 2500s on the road - they are all diesel. Including all the 2500s sold by RAM Australia.

You need to take all RAM Australia marketing material with a very large grain of salt - they are well known for peddling their own, unique, version of the facts.
It was their loose approach to the truth, their lack of support for buyers and their inferior product that had me buying a Sierra.

joshinthecity

I'm sure what you're saying is correct Chatty.
But my experience, just watching their website, is that all vehicles offered, were 5.7 Hemi, until now, when the attached just turned up. Listed as new.
Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 1.23.46 pm.png

Chatty

I'm sure what you're saying is correct Chatty.
But my experience, just watching their website, is that all vehicles offered, were 5.7 Hemi, until now, when the attached just turned up. Listed as new.
View attachment 72268
The 1500 has only been offered with the petrol engine.
The 2500 has always been offered with the diesel engine.

shanegtr

You need to take all RAM Australia marketing material with a very large grain of salt - they are well known for peddling their own, unique, version of the facts.
It was their loose approach to the truth, their lack of support for buyers and their inferior product that had me buying a Sierra.
I think you could apply that statement to any vehicle manufacturer. Actually I think it applys to all marketing - period:rolleyes:

callmejoe

Are you thinking seriously about a US ute joe?

I would really like to consider 1, as over all they appeal to me. I was 1st quoted before they where released for $150k so a little more realistic.

I know I would still have to throw another $40k on top of a already inflated price to have a tourer and bush worthy for us. So now @ $210k I REALLY cannot justify that.

Albynsw

Wouldn’t a Travel Truck be a better option?
Apart from being a fantastic tow rig they don’t offer much more

callmejoe

Wouldn’t a Travel Truck be a better option?
Apart from being a fantastic tow rig they don’t offer much more

Probably, OKA are back in business and I'm watching them closely as well. The wife said she could MAYBE handle a RAM all the others stuff she hates. She has heavy lic so size isn't the issue but looks definitely are..

The end of the day what ever it is in today's climate everything is over priced. Plus spending so much coin and not beings able to really get to use it would sux

Chatty

Probably, OKA are back in business and I'm watching them closely as well. The wife said she could MAYBE handle a RAM all the others stuff she hates. She has heavy lic so size isn't the issue but looks definitely are..

The end of the day what ever it is in today's climate everything is over priced. Plus spending so much coin and not beings able to really get to use it would sux
The Sierra is a much better buy than the Ram - better engine and gearbox and you don't have to suffer the terrible build quality and problems of the Ram Australia (American Special Vehicles/Walkinshaw) conversion. Plus Ram Australia's customer service is terrible.

callmejoe

The Sierra is a much better buy than the Ram - better engine and gearbox and you don't have to suffer the terrible build quality and problems of the Ram Australia (American Special Vehicles/Walkinshaw) conversion. Plus Ram Australia's customer service is terrible.
Yehhhh I'm hearing ya. I have owned 3 truck from the the Daimler family.
Buying from whats printed on paper and what watch YOUTUBE I get the feeling that RAM or a F truck have better off rd mods and credit then a Sierra.??
I haven't researched in full (as I'm only still in the stage of considering) so I know my thoughts would have some faults.

I do like the interior of the RAM of all the others by far.

Chatty

Yehhhh I'm hearing ya. I have owned 3 truck from the the Daimler family.
Buying from whats printed on paper and what watch YOUTUBE I get the feeling that RAM or a F truck have better off rd mods and credit then a Sierra.??
I haven't researched in full (as I'm only still in the stage of considering) so I know my thoughts would have some faults.

I do like the interior of the RAM of all the others by far.
Be careful of what you see on YouTube - the Americans have a lot more flexibility in changes they can make to a vehicle than would ever be allowed in Australia. That means that a lot of what you see done to these vehicles in America won't be able to be done here, so you really need to compare the trucks in their standard configuration to get a better picture of how they stack up in Australia.

In terms of bits available to modify these vehicles - the Sierra/Silverado range is the biggest selling truck in America (yes, I know Ford claim the F-truck is the biggest seller, but that's only if you consider the Sierra and Silverado as different vehicles, which they aren't they are the same truck) so I think you'll find there's a lot more stuff around for the GM trucks then there is for the Ram. F-truck is most probably on a par.

Off-road cred? Not much to pick between them - but remember that none of these vehicles are what would be considered off-road vehicles in Australia, where Land Cruiser, Patrol, Pajero, HiLux, Range, etc rule the roost. All of the American trucks are big, long, heavy vehicles which don't suit tight bush tracks.
But, in off-road conditions where you're looking for power and torque, the GM leads the pack, with the Ford a very close second. The Ram is a long way back in that regard.

The interior of the Ram was nice, but the Sierra makes the Ram look tacky and cheap. But what really turned me off the Ram here was the multiple problems with the Walkinshaw conversion. Fun things like turn the steering wheel left and the truck turns right, loss of steering altogether because of hydraulic hose failures, oil leaks, flooding of the passenger side floor due to water leaks from the a/c, coolant system failures because the bottom radiator hose rubs on the steering - the list goes on and on. I know one bloke in Qld whose Ram, in the first 12 months of ownership, spent 9 months in the workshop for repairs and recalls.