Radiator coolant

red hilux

Right, I'm hopefully doing the flush this week sometime, I've bought 4 litres of Toyota red, someone suggested to me about running it neat.

What are your thoughts???

Other than expense, is their any downside to doing so??

old_aussie

Banned
The extra you would spend on another 4 litres of coolant you could buy 2 bottles of Toyota injector cleaner if that doesn't make your Toyota run better & use less fuel you can tell the world i'm full of shit :D
I have been using Toyota coolant diluted as per the instruction for 29 years /500,000 km :cool:

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Water - great at absorbing energy (heat), but it boils at 100 deg C, engine temp is above this.

Coolant - not as good at absorbing heat as water, but has a higher boiling point.

Mix the two - good heat absorption 'and' higher boiling point than 100 deg C.

Plus other corrosion resistance characteristics, etc.

red hilux

Ok. Great. Thanks

Will dilute it then as per instruction.

To carry swaggies question forward,are we best to use distilled water then??

old_aussie

Banned
You can buy it at the supermarket I used to but now I live off tank water so I use that yes Toyota recommend distilled water .
Don't forget to open the heater tap & flush all the coolant .
I open the radiator tap , plug in the block , drain fill with tap water run the engine don't get it hot flush again till the waters clean .
Close all the plugs add a bottle distilled water radiator conditioner fill with distilled water a drop of conditioner in the expansion bottle fill it to the top "bottle" there will be air in the system it should return to the level when the engine is hot . Leave the heater tap on till you have run the engine for a while .

Last edited:

old_aussie

Banned
:p:p:p You might wonder why I would make a random statement like you can buy 2 cans Toyota injector cleaner :confused: we have used it on my 1984 hilux damn it made a difference a couple more tins to get that old dear clean Sons 2012 hilux one tin he has noticed an improvement in fuel economy by his trip meter .
If you ever purchase some you will read it cleans injectors & adds :D Lubrisity to the fuel system pump injectors etc damn tooten it does I imagine that would apply to all makes of diesel engine & all the manufactures would have a product .

red hilux

:p:p:p You might wonder why I would make a random statement like you can buy 2 cans Toyota injector cleaner :confused: we have used it on my 1984 hilux damn it made a difference a couple more tins to get that old dear clean Sons 2012 hilux one tin he has noticed an improvement in fuel economy by his trip meter .
If you ever purchase some you will read it cleans injectors & adds :D Lubrisity to the fuel system pump injectors etc damn tooten it does I imagine that would apply to all makes of diesel engine & all the manufactures would have a product .

I may try that also then. I'm currently running 2 stroke oil in my car. Do you think these together will cause a problem??

I'm current averaging 16L/100. The car is chipped, isn't a daily driver, does two a 1.3t boat or 4wd between fills.

I just come to terms with it. It is what it is.

old_aussie

Banned
The thing that excited me about injector cleaner was my hilux twice started smoking big time no power boost gauge in the negative added a bottle Toyota cleaner took him out for a hard run ( started to raise the temp gauge that was a worry till I read raw fuel in a diesel is instant heat ) then the turbo was good boost every acceleration since then it hasn't got hotter than usual goes hard & restored the fuel economy I love the stuff ay .
It helps with starting as well I read on Toyota's web page and they do not lie cause my glow doesn't work .
I told my son to use it in his 2012 model cause it has the vane type turbo we put a bottle in I took it out for a flogging it works I'm sold :D Oh What A feeling :D

Water - great at absorbing energy (heat), but it boils at 100 deg C, engine temp is above this.

Coolant - not as good at absorbing heat as water, but has a higher boiling point.

Mix the two - good heat absorption 'and' higher boiling point than 100 deg C.

Plus other corrosion resistance characteristics, etc.

Just to add a little.

Coolant is there for anti-corrosion, lubrication of seals and to raise the boiling point/lower the freezing point of your cooling system.

If you run straight coolant you run a very high chance of cooking your motor, it really sucks at heat transfer. Its the water that takes the majority of the heat away.

Never run more than 60%coolant 40% water, as you will lower the boiling point of your cooling system. I always aim for 50/50 which allows for a boiling point of around 125deg with a pressurized system (maybe 110-115deg not pressurized).

And dont buy 'cheap coolant', pay a little extra and get Genuine coolant as its formulated for your engine. Incorrect coolant can cause more corrosion than straight water.
Coolant is way cheaper to replace than all those wonderful alloy parts on your engine.

old_aussie

Banned
Well I have put 1 bottle of complete fuel treatment & 2 bottles of injector cleaner in my Holden alloytec v6 damn man it idles smooth accelerates with no lag and I am pleased with the result :D
90,000 km's was idling rough and lag bugger me not now wynn's I used & i'm happy :p

old_aussie

Banned
:p:p:p:p:p Ha Ha I do believe I may be a muppet on a forum :p:p:p:p
I assume my v6 aloytec would have an EGR valve being a modern engine & having read injector cleaner does the whole engine cycle I am happy to use injector cleaner rather than disable a part of my engine :p:p:p:p One happy muppet :p:p:p:p:p