RA Rodeo 4x4 not engaging

Bad Box

Hi. My 2005 RA 3L turbo 4x4 Rodeo has a few probs.

1: 4x4 does not engage at all. No warning dash lights. No lights in the 3 - 2L, (neutral), 4L, 4H - buttons.
2: Some lights in the tacho and other gauges have stopped lighting, even at 1st turn of the ignition to "ON".
No "oil pressure", no "fuel filter indicator", no "4wd indicator", no "CHECK 4WD". They all did work, up to the time the 4x4 stopped switching.
Only the "BATTERY", "BRAKE", "CHECK ENGINE", and "glow-plug" lamps come on.
The odometer and it's lamp work. The "LOW FUEL" light works (relief!) The "HI-beam" and the turn signal lights work.

The ute had 2 sideways facing spotlights mounted on the tray, which failed soon after buying the ute, in May last year. I removed them, and their wiring, which was "amateur", and traced the wires to under the dash for their relay etc, under the right-foot kick board. Wires were chaffed and exposed near metal, so don't know what damage they may have done.
(Sorry if too much info?)

Leading up to the 4x4 fail, the "4wd indicator" started flashing for too long, without the system switching into 4wd. Then - nothing.

The tacho's needle is "bouncy", and rarely goes above 2000rpm. The speedo needle is also unreliable, and, for a short time, a few weeks ago, switching on the two driving spotlights, sent the tacho and speedo needles into "fits", bouncing, and dropping about 20% less.

These all failed around the same time, so think it's all related to the 4x4 not engaging and the 4x4 dash lights problem.

I'm doing it solo, so don't have an assistant bottle-washer to turn the key while I'm underneath listening for clicks, etc.
I checked from kneeing, bent low, at the driver's door and turning the ignition on-off-on-off, and may have heard the rear transfer case mechanism switch click. But hard to know at this stage.

See forum suggestions with instructions for resetting the computer box under the driver's seat, with 2 wires. Tried once, no good, but will try again, in time.

As the number of dash lights have failed, could it simply be an earth wire to the dash, or so? It's a maze under there, so hesitate to even start to go through possible "earth wires" etc.

And, last, what have I done when unplugging the 2 multi-pin plugs into computer beneath the seat, then replugging them back in?

Yeah, I know. "Take it to a sparky!" Which I will, but not before doing what I can myself.

Again, sorry if that's too much info? Any clues, apart from burning it?

Bad Box

Hi Rodeodave, and thanks for that. I'd already found that thread and tried the options, with no luck. The probs in my Rodeo are different, as in half of the gauge lights not working, etc., not even at first turn of the key to ON. No "flashing 4x4 light" at all, etc.
Hohum? But these probs may mean it's not the underseat "TCM" (is that it?), because lamps in the dash not to do with the 4x4 system have failed too.
If I might add, with these problems from poor design, GMH really should have a forums site online. But, yeah, "planned obsolescence" paying their mechanics, etc.

Cheers
look in this thread for the fix / over ride if it doesn't work you may need to buy a new module http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/holden-rodeo-ra-isuzu-d-max-check-4wd-light.9337/page-2

Kingthong

My rodeo I bought it with no 4wd
I have replaced the control module under the drivers seat as it was corroded
My wiring plug isn't the best haven't replaced it yet
Haven't had a drama since

Since I've owned it I've had no reverse lights
And central locking wasn't working via remote
I have pulled heaps apart to source the problem

And the problem I have found is that my car must have been a flood effect car

Most of the plugs on the floor are corroded

I have replaced a few today
I have reverse lights now
Central locking is now working

While looking for the problem
I found the ecu and I didn't want to touch it as I'm fearing the worse for the plugs as well as the steel protection case around the ecu is rusty too.

So I'm guessing your is similar to mine and been a flood effected car

DeFergus

Hey mate, I have just purchased a 2004 Rodeo and I have the exact problem to a T that you have, did you ever work it out? I know it's been a couple of years, probably a long shot.

Cheers

Jamesdj1977

Hey mate, I have just purchased a 2004 Rodeo and I have the exact problem to a T that you have, did you ever work it out? I know it's been a couple of years, probably a long shot.

Cheers
Gday mate, did you find the solution? I’m having the exact same problem.

benn_o

Gday mate, did you find the solution? I’m having the exact same problem.
Gday boys, For about 2 weeks I've had the same problem with no tacho, 4wd and a dodgy speedo on my 2005 3L rodeo. Just found something on another thread that fixed my problem straight away and can hopefully help you fellas.

In the fuse box under the dashboard you should find an unlabeled fuse (on the bottom row to the far left). I have just put a 10 amp fuse in it and everything is working fine now (at some point I removed it and put it back in the wrong fuse holder). Don,t know why it isn't labeled and what it is for but it worked so have a look to see if it has blown or if it is even in there.

I hope this helps!!