• Yes

Votes: 70 48.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 11.1%
  • I've had better days

Votes: 58 40.3%

• Total voters

Swaggie

I have managed to hold onto my job through out the current situation, my wife is classed as an essential service so she is still going to work, kids are still at school... Life is pretty much as normal especially in the ACT.

Yet I have had two what can only be classed as breakdowns in 3 weeks. I figured I was OK... As I said nothing has really changed and we aren't watching the savings empty with no work. Still doing taekwondo and petanque so getting to meet up with people and interact.

I can only put it down to sitting in the same home office chair for 6 months now, not going out, not camping, can't make any plans, elderly parents in the UK, not sure I will see them again, new born neice over there, might get to meet her before she is 18.

I have given up on the news, the sensatialism of the whole thing is a major issue, I check the local government new cases and areas to watch each day and that is it, I don't need to see whatever statistic they have made up from the numbers this week or what rumour they have heard about minced Donald Trump curing covid.

My point is, my life is good at the moment and yet this whole thing has had a major impact on me mentally and emotionally. Anyone else needs to check themselves out honestly, and those who are doing it on the tougher side of the scale with lockdowns and job losses, keep talking, keep reaching out.

Cheers
Smitty
Hang in there buddy I’ve basically been in lockdown since the 10th off December last year, not prison btw :D

The lockdown is getting to me slowly now, I don’t watch the news anymore, havnt for a year roughly. It’s pathetic. Manage to watch the weather on channel 7 everynight tho ...

Cheers.

dno67

I think its the erosion of feeling in control of your surroundings combined with the prolonged lack of any real direction from those in charge.
Not to mention. You have to actually search for information via the net, unlike other times when there's been a serious event or disaster where the media kept us informed. Overall giving a sense of frustration and loss.
It's not a good feeling when you start lossing your shit for no real apparent reason, but your not the only one. I've had a few run in's with the unseen during this bloody covid mess.

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

Sounds like you live to work Joe with your hours :oops:

I worked my arse off until I was 30 and then realised I missed a large part of my youth that you cannot get back. From there I made a point of having every school holiday off and spending time on holidays with the family.
In my line of work I have encountered people who are some of the wealthiest in Australia and also those that have had very little and one thing I have learnt was that their bank balance has nothing to do with whether they were nice people or happy / content with their lives.
Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-- Rita Rudner

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm quite possibly the most dejected at work that I have even been.
Hearing this and others replies, it's saddened me to read how people are affected like this.

Vic members particularly in Melbourne, but hey, roll on Dec 1 for SA border opening and ability to visit son in Melb without isolating coming back . . .
At least unless the pollies work the stats however they feel like, and decide to change the goalposts again :/

Dave, get outta there mate if you can, find a position elsewhere (you can do a lot of job types) . . . somewhere sane before summer hits.
I experienced the Pilbara in Winter and it's beaut, but summer forget it !

Chatty

Hearing this and others replies, it's saddened me to read how people are affected like this.

Vic members particularly in Melbourne, but hey, roll on Dec 1 for SA border opening and ability to visit son in Melb without isolating coming back . . .
At least unless the pollies work the stats however they feel like, and decide to change the goalposts again :/

Dave, get outta there mate if you can, find a position elsewhere (you can do a lot of job types) . . . somewhere sane before summer hits.
I experienced the Pilbara in Winter and it's beaut, but summer forget it !
Hey Les - great to hear from you again.

The good news is that I've picked up work in Perth - only contract, but it's a start.
We were getting really depressed at the risk of is not being able to attend Josh's wedding, but with the border to WA opening up, we're all good to go.

If we had been able to find somewhere decent to stay in Hedland, we might have thought about staying, but we couldn't have done 3 months of 40+ days without shade - which was the option we were facing.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
The good news is that I've picked up work in Perth - only contract, but it's a start.
Great news !
Sounds like you're there already.
Got to improve the spirits a bit for you both.

Hope you got your entitlements owing, but even if not all was received, you're going to be much happier in Perth, I hope.

The heat is only one part of that region, you can easily get rained in / out through summer and shoulder seasons if travelling the roads.

Good to read yesterday / today about WA opening to much of the rest of Oz, and SA / Vic from Dec 1, now just QLD / NSW and such to get through their premiers egos.

ChallengeLee

Hi all, has been far too long.

Truly what a year it has been!!

Thank you so much for keeping an eye out for each other.
Day to day living is hard enough without throwing in a pandemic. So much worry and stress for so many.

I hope you are fairing well and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel with borders opening and business's hopefully being able to get back to some sort of normal.

I have worked throughout, the first weeks of the pandemic was heartbreaking as l watched parents breakdown as they lost their jobs and started to worry about finances.

Essential workers that were exhausted and worried for their own families as they worked so hard to keep things safe for others or keep business's afloat. Staff that were worried about working with the children of essential workers and that may have been in contact with Covid.

In the midst of it all l changed roles and moved closer to home. Big learning curve and new parents/essential workers to get to know throughout. I was becoming exhausted and for a little while just wished l could have self isolated for 2 weeks just to have a break.

Finally the frosty one and l were able to take two week trip out west when they opened our bubble. So many small towns struggling, so many business's shut up or closed for good, some only a single business open to keep themselves afloat, pubs without beer stocks. Will take so long to recover.

I cannot imagine how hard it has been for those in lock down. Not being able to go camping or 4wdriving was not good for my mental health, not being able go move out of your home/street/suburb/state would have been crazy to deal.
So much worry about finances and having a job, so much untold stress on people and families.

Please keep sharing how you're going. It all helps.

Albynsw

Just before Christmas I was talking to a staff member at our local pub who told me her husband has terminal cancer. I know nothing about her other than her first name and she picks up my empty beer glasses.

It got under my skin and couldn’t stop thinking about it. The next day I saw her at the pub and offered her our holiday rental home for free to spend a bit of quiet with her husband. She was very thankful and I gave her all the details and to let me know when she wanted to come.
I didn’t see or hear from her again.
Just down the pub today for an afternoon bevy to learn she buried him yesterday aged 52
Died 12 weeks after the diagnosis

Be thankful for the life you have got, there are always others doing it tougher.

Bigfish1

Just before Christmas I was talking to a staff member at our local pub who told me her husband has terminal cancer. I know nothing about her other than her first name and she picks up my empty beer glasses.

It got under my skin and couldn’t stop thinking about it. The next day I saw her at the pub and offered her our holiday rental home for free to spend a bit of quiet with her husband. She was very thankful and I gave her all the details and to let me know when she wanted to come.
I didn’t see or hear from her again.
Just down the pub today for an afternoon bevy to learn she buried him yesterday aged 52
Died 12 weeks after the diagnosis

Be thankful for the life you have got, there are always others doing it tougher.
I think that if we all remembered this the world would be a vastly better place for sure..It annoys me that many self centered people in the community only worry about their own needs.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Feeling sad today. Looking after my daughter's Golden Retriever for next five months and bought her a big raw beef bone from the butchers. She turned her nose up at it and I had to throw it in the bin. Gave her a carrot because daughter said it's good for her teeth? ?? She took off down the back yard like a shot and ate it with a big grin??? Dog must be a vegan? ?? Fèeling very sad . Never thought a dog would not eat a bone. :eek:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Might not know what to do with it? Maybe try cut it up so she can taste the marrow?
Dog is over four years old. Never chewed real bones only rubber ones, rubber toys, with ropes and bells. Eats dry food only. I checked her teeth, dirty brown stained, not sure how strong gums and teeth are. Does chew up rubbish, bits of old wood maybe that's a sign. Did saw the bone in half for tasty marrow still no go. New age dog?

JamesBrown89

I'm fine! The main thing is that this 2020 is over and now everything has become much easier! I think I have nothing to complain about, especially when I know a lot of people who are not having the best days now ...

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'm fine! The main thing is that this 2020 is over and now everything has become much easier! I think I have nothing to complain about, especially when I know a lot of people who are not having the best days now ...
Good to hear you are getting through. Looks pretty tough over there for many dealing with covid and then having to deal with personal stuff as well. Keep us posted and stay safe :).

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Dog is over four years old. Never chewed real bones only rubber ones, rubber toys, with ropes and bells. Eats dry food only. I checked her teeth, dirty brown stained, not sure how strong gums and teeth are. Does chew up rubbish, bits of old wood maybe that's a sign. Did saw the bone in half for tasty marrow still no go. New age dog?
Hmm, trained to like other stuff instead...maybe try those dental chew type treats, at least it would be something hard to gnaw on to help clean the teeth.

Parents lab loves bones, gets super excited, whole body wagging hehe.

Rusty Panels

Try chicken necks and wings. All of my dogs have loved them. They must be raw. I usually buy a 2kg pack of necks for about $5 and bag them into lots of 4 and freeze them. Just get a bag out in the morning to put in with the nights tucker.
I also buy big beef marrow bones and freeze them. I get one out every couple of days and saw it in half for my 2 hounds to share. They love them. My dear old mate who is now 11 and suffers from epilepsy has six monthly checkups at the vets and they can't believe how good his teeth are. They reckon he has the teeth of a six year old.

03hilux

I dont know whether to laugh or not, but i will. Maybe to confirm your belief in a new age dog, see if it will drink an almond milk latte.