• Yes

Votes: 70 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • I've had better days

Votes: 59 40.7%

• Total voters

Aaron Schubert

Interesting, I jump on the forum every morning and every arvo after work, lately it is even moreso because I haven't worked in nearly 5 weeks now, every time I get on I go straight to new posts and read nearly every post some I ignore but for a few of the regular posters I read there input even if I have no interest in the thread.
I have met Rick, gone 4wding with Rick and known him a long time, not once have I seen a post that was majorly offensive or out of line, you guys must have been deleting them at an astounding rate

A lot of posts do get edited or deleted within 30 minutes of being reported, or read. So yes, you would have missed several.

Offensive level has nothing to do with it. The rules are no swearing. If you choose to ignore this, you get a couple of warnings and then you get removed. It can't be any simpler than that.

Now, can we please get back on topic? This is a very important thread

Aaron

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah! if any probs just send private messages and keep of this important thread helping others also who are not well.
Edit. I mean to the moderators.

Last edited:

dno67

IMG_20200910_085338.jpg

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Just had Father's Day and Birthday next day. Usually have the mob around for the BBQs ???? I am just about out of work around the house. Garden done, lawn cut twice a week :eek:, workshop remade, all tools sharpened, found stuff I never knew I had, don't go out.
:eek:
Getting a little nervous now, gaining weight, swearing a lot, wishing everyone goes back to work so that I can retire again and play golf, camp and travel.
I am OK, not sure about anyone else I talk whinge, to.

discomatt

Throughout the current BS time of life many have all kinds of stress, some stress re finances, some stress about society as a whole and the effects of the pandemic and lock downs with the long reaching implications associated with them, some stress about there own health situation and there own mortality. All of which are very valid reasons to loose sleep at night.
I have had a real roller coaster ride , ranging from initial fear caused by the first predictions and modeling from the "experts" which has largely been way over estimated and dramatized all the way to sadness caused by the detrimental effects of the lock downs, which I believe we still haven't really seen or come to realize them all yet. From annoyance with governments, at all levels due to there failures and lack of preparedness for an event that lets face it has been predicted and on the cards for years and then anger at the lies and half truths which we are expected to just lap up all while we are isolated and unable to use our support systems whether that be social groups with work, friends and family, church or 4wding groups which just makes it all harder to deal with.
Right now I am feeling OK , the phone has started to ring again with more work than I can do between now and Christmas which I will be starting next week ( it essential so I am allowed )
I would never have estimated the effects it has all had on me if it was played out as a scenario but at times I have hit some of the lowest of lows that I have ever experienced in life which has surprised me because in the big picture many have it 100 times worse than Liza and I have experienced.
I guess what I am trying to get out there is its OK to feel pretty crap at this time but there will be an out , who knows when but it will come so hang in there and try to look at any silver lining you have in your life.
MMM that feels better :)

Rusty Panels

Just a few quotes from famous people. They might help to put a smile on your dial!

It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two...
-- Sir Norman Wisdom

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
-- Dale Carnegie

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
-- Will Rogers

I'm not afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
-- Woody Allen

I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
-- Noel Coward

Chatty

I'm quite possibly the most dejected at work that I have even been.
As if it wasn't bad enough being shot between the eyes without warning by my previous employer, and all the grief and financial loss that comes with that, I now find myself in the Pilbara working a job which was nothing like I was promised, absolutely bored out of my gourd.
38-41 degrees every day is getting Trish down as she can't leave the van during the day, the dog is suffering in the heat and can't go for a walk until sunset.
Forget trying to rent a house - that's $1,000+ per week for a shitbox, plus the cost of furniture.

And then, just to top it all off, I'm in a shitfight with HR, because they've failed to pay me my uplift and allowances (which all up are about 45% of my pay) for 6 weeks now and won't give me any idea about when they will actually get of their arse and give me the money. Oh, and also won't commit to when I'll get the $2,000 in out-of-pocket expenses I should also have been paid (with another $1,000 a week adding onto that bill).
Given the costs of living in the Pilbara, we are now officially broke, living on credit cards until my pay gets sorted out.

Triton14

I'm quite possibly the most dejected at work that I have even been.
As if it wasn't bad enough being shot between the eyes without warning by my previous employer, and all the grief and financial loss that comes with that, I now find myself in the Pilbara working a job which was nothing like I was promised, absolutely bored out of my gourd.
38-41 degrees every day is getting Trish down as she can't leave the van during the day, the dog is suffering in the heat and can't go for a walk until sunset.
Forget trying to rent a house - that's $1,000+ per week for a shitbox, plus the cost of furniture.

And then, just to top it all off, I'm in a shitfight with HR, because they've failed to pay me my uplift and allowances (which all up are about 45% of my pay) for 6 weeks now and won't give me any idea about when they will actually get of their arse and give me the money. Oh, and also won't commit to when I'll get the $2,000 in out-of-pocket expenses I should also have been paid (with another $1,000 a week adding onto that bill).
Given the costs of living in the Pilbara, we are now officially broke, living on credit cards until my pay gets sorted out.
I feel for your situation if its hurting you Chatty.

Even in what I call my bad situation of being on job keeper for 6 months now which my rent consumes 70% of I know others have it a lot worse off.

Its great to have a vent for sure but again I see people every day living & begging on the streets of Sydney, living in alleys, buliding corners & subway areas with a blankets & a backpack for a pillow.

When I see this I still think I am very very lucky to be in a place of my own & with a roof over my head.

I also know worse case senario I could sell all material good I own, pack up my 4x4 & live in the bush happily without any other bill factors except police or forstry running you out of locations.

I guess I know at least I have options.

Hope things improve for you & your situation mate, keep your head up, at least you have a job :)

:(Sounds a little bit like my time in the Pilbara, I never felt more unfulfilled and bored as I did working out there 95% of the days, although I atleast got paid well for doing stuff all. I might also sound a bit negative but I personally wouldn't go back there unless it was purely a FIFO gig, just not worth it considering the cost of living and lifestyle available for family there for the majority of the year.

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Throughout the current BS time of life many have all kinds of stress, some stress re finances, some stress about society as a whole and the effects of the pandemic and lock downs with the long reaching implications associated with them, some stress about there own health situation and there own mortality. All of which are very valid reasons to loose sleep at night.
I have had a real roller coaster ride , ranging from initial fear caused by the first predictions and modeling from the "experts" which has largely been way over estimated and dramatized all the way to sadness caused by the detrimental effects of the lock downs, which I believe we still haven't really seen or come to realize them all yet. From annoyance with governments, at all levels due to there failures and lack of preparedness for an event that lets face it has been predicted and on the cards for years and then anger at the lies and half truths which we are expected to just lap up all while we are isolated and unable to use our support systems whether that be social groups with work, friends and family, church or 4wding groups which just makes it all harder to deal with.
Right now I am feeling OK , the phone has started to ring again with more work than I can do between now and Christmas which I will be starting next week ( it essential so I am allowed )
I would never have estimated the effects it has all had on me if it was played out as a scenario but at times I have hit some of the lowest of lows that I have ever experienced in life which has surprised me because in the big picture many have it 100 times worse than Liza and I have experienced.
I guess what I am trying to get out there is its OK to feel pretty crap at this time but there will be an out , who knows when but it will come so hang in there and try to look at any silver lining you have in your life.
MMM that feels better :)

Looking forward to when we can go out camping as a group again.

I've had the opposite problem to most this year. I'd been particularly busy with work the past couple years, it kept ramping up, since November it'd increased to an average of 60 hr weeks on a construction site, constant work load making decisions etc. May/June I was feeling unwell at times, I'd have a rest day and feel better and back to work. Came crashing to an end mid July, had a bad night sleep, went to work, could hardly stay awake so boss sent me home.

Next two/three weeks were a roller coaster, would go a couple nights without sleep, really vivid dreams the only sleep I would get the next. Body would get the shakes on and off throughout the day, hardly walk some days, various other symptoms, doctors/tests with no answers. Ended up calling ambulance a couple times I felt that unwell, but not much they could do. Spent the next five weeks with my parents, very slowly recovering.

Been back home for 3 weeks now (taking some adjusting to being by myself again though), working part time from home, slowly getting better. Doesn't take much to spend too much energy and feel crap the next day though. Best answer I have is from my chiropracter, says the symptoms match that of severe burnout, takes months to recover from at best it seems.

Silver lining though as you said Matt. Try to find something positive to look forward too. Some simple advice I got from a work colleague is to create some routine (get up/go to bed and regular times, make sure you make your bed, do housework, etc), seems to help.

Weather is getting better. Easier to get some fresh air and sunshine. Some hope for getting away camping again, although I think the first trip needs to be a relax/camping one, not an adventure 4wd rolling camp hehe.

callmejoe

Fatigue.
Its something that just seems to sneak up on you. Without GREAT management it can and does destroy lives. Everyone can manage it, it's just about knowing how to.
Been a Line haul driver for 20yrs, a normal week is 110hrs in 7 days. Then 2 / 3 days off. Not an once off holiday but all year round. I learnt many many moon ago, what goes up must come down, and know my limits (VERY important to learn )
The biggest and most important thing about fatigue is how to deal with "coming down". Working long excessive hours most people will have pushed themselves in to a form of overdrive, and everytime you hit overdrive the count down begins on your body. (Why when we were younger and most likely fitter it took longer to show).
A big day doesn't just end with simple sleep. Sleeps a big part of it but not the b an end all.
If you cannot wake up in the morning with out alarm our your alarm is a absolute must you body is NOT getting the right amount of Sleep.
Not saying its wrong to use the alarm but you must also understand your body hasn't fully recovered so there is a debt to pay. So if every day you rely and need that alarm more debt is incurred, and it WONT just go away....

Energy drinks are bad, very bad. Coffee should be in high moderation. Water drink lots, and most of all healthy eating, no meat pies and sauce.. Alcohol we all know the answer on that.

AND most important RELAX, Sleep and Relax. For myself i have learnt for every 7 days of work the 8th day is a absolute nothing day, Sleep in then only relaxing stuff, eg reading books going out for breakfast etc AND nothing, absolute NOTHING about work, even if it super dope do or die important, NOTHING. YOU MUST SWITCH OFF.

We work to live NOT live to work.

Just about anyone can do long hours, but only people that can manage their fatigue will cope with it.

Albynsw

We work to live NOT live to work.

Sounds like you live to work Joe with your hours :oops:

I worked my arse off until I was 30 and then realised I missed a large part of my youth that you cannot get back. From there I made a point of having every school holiday off and spending time on holidays with the family.
In my line of work I have encountered people who are some of the wealthiest in Australia and also those that have had very little and one thing I have learnt was that their bank balance has nothing to do with whether they were nice people or happy / content with their lives.

callmejoe

Sounds like you live to work Joe with your hours :oops:

I worked my arse off until I was 30 and then realised I missed a large part of my youth that you cannot get back. From there I made a point of having every school holiday off and spending time on holidays with the family.
In my line of work I have encountered people who are some of the wealthiest in Australia and also those that have had very little and one thing I have learnt was that their bank balance has nothing to do with whether they were nice people or happy / content with their lives.

To a degree you absolutely correctly, but I look at driving as a life style though not a job. I know now and understand the sacrifices I have made, the losses that come with it, but all of that has made me who I am today, and that I won't change.

You MUST also have a very understanding wife to make my situation work. As good as I think I am ;) its also great know my wife keeps me in check. I do have a tendency of working and then working some more but I believe my little set up is working for us.

A positive though I hoping to retire earlier then most think possible.

Chatty

:(Sounds a little bit like my time in the Pilbara, I never felt more unfulfilled and bored as I did working out there 95% of the days, although I atleast got paid well for doing stuff all. I might also sound a bit negative but I personally wouldn't go back there unless it was purely a FIFO gig, just not worth it considering the cost of living and lifestyle available for family there for the majority of the year.
Yeah it's been added to my "don't do this sh!t again" list

smitty_r51

I have managed to hold onto my job through out the current situation, my wife is classed as an essential service so she is still going to work, kids are still at school... Life is pretty much as normal especially in the ACT.

Yet I have had two what can only be classed as breakdowns in 3 weeks. I figured I was OK... As I said nothing has really changed and we aren't watching the savings empty with no work. Still doing taekwondo and petanque so getting to meet up with people and interact.

I can only put it down to sitting in the same home office chair for 6 months now, not going out, not camping, can't make any plans, elderly parents in the UK, not sure I will see them again, new born neice over there, might get to meet her before she is 18.

I have given up on the news, the sensatialism of the whole thing is a major issue, I check the local government new cases and areas to watch each day and that is it, I don't need to see whatever statistic they have made up from the numbers this week or what rumour they have heard about minced Donald Trump curing covid.

My point is, my life is good at the moment and yet this whole thing has had a major impact on me mentally and emotionally. Anyone else needs to check themselves out honestly, and those who are doing it on the tougher side of the scale with lockdowns and job losses, keep talking, keep reaching out.

Cheers
Smitty