PX2 Fire Recall kit out

MrPoopypants

Hi Folks,
Just signed up in the intro section after taking advantage of all the info on the forum, as I set up my Ranger over the past year. Thought I should post this, as I think it's probably only just rolling out.
I took the beast in for it's 15,000 service a couple of weeks ago, wanted the computer updated and a few minor warranty things. (waste of time, will stick with my local mechanic now) They did, however, ask me if I wanted the recall for the fire hazard with the DPF done while it was in. I have ARB bash plates and they wanted to take them off to fit the new gear. I said no, but they showed me the new stuff.
The recall update consists of a metal 2 piece guard that fits over the DPF and screws together, but the interesting bit was the new transmission bash plate designed to bolt behind the existing standard plates, covers the transmission and tucks into the cross members to prevent grass catching. Same material as the standard plates (1.5mm???) Looked neat the way it tucks in to keep the grass out. Don't know if it would be totally effective and I imagine if in long grass, spinifex you'd still need to keep checking.
Anyway, thought some might like to know the kit is out.

Cheers
Mr PP

mac_man_luke

Been watching it on newranger.net and looks like its going to make it worse in some circumstances - one of the guys had the plate covered in grass after an hour driving around his paddock!

MrPoopypants

Hi MML, another guy I've been stalking around the site, lots of great tips from your posts. Thanks! Yeah, I wouldn't trust it and I certainly didn't want to swap the solid ARB Tranny plate for it. The ARB stuff isn't perfect, with the ground clearance, recovery pt etc but I really like the transmission protection. That big box looks fragile. I actually think the wide open original has less pinch points for grass to snag in. It's a worry, though. The day I bought it it was obviously in mid burn when I parked it in the side driveway, burnt a big patch of grass. I thought it was an oil spill at first, but eventually figured it out. I've got a few marks on the grass, now. Wouldn't be ideal on a farm.
G.

mac_man_luke

The day I bought it it was obviously in mid burn when I parked it in the side driveway, burnt a big patch of grass. I thought it was an oil spill at first, but eventually figured it out. I've got a few marks on the grass, now. Wouldn't be ideal on a farm.
G.
Wow scary!

I never ran a trans guard when i had my ranger and did some pretty hard tracks in it with issues but never hurts. Sticks etc can be enough to cause damage

Spooner

Ive a few mates with newer Rangers & BT50's that haven't heard nothing yet about a outcome to this issue.
Thanks I will let them know.

Blue_haired_man

I wonder what the insurance implications would be if you were to knock back the installation of a recall item such as the new guards and there was an issue?
Cheers Leo

Spooner

I wonder what the insurance implications would be if you were to knock back the installation of a recall item such as the new guards and there was an issue?
Cheers Leo
I don't think so , this whole saga has been brushed under the carpet , so to speak and unless you were made to sign a legal waiver that you refused to have it installed , I don't think there would be an issue. Most people that I know that own these cars have no idea whats going on with the fix at the moment.

mac_man_luke

I don't think so , this whole saga has been brushed under the carpet , so to speak and unless you were made to sign a legal waiver that you refused to have it installed , I don't think there would be an issue. Most people that I know that own these cars have no idea whats going on with the fix at the moment.
From what i gathered off another forum in the case someone had an existing aftermarket bash plate:
1) Remove aftermarket bash plate, they destroy it and reimburse you
2) Remove aftermarket bash pate and return it to you
3) Leave the aftermarket bash plate and sign a waiver!
No idea how true it is

MrPoopypants

Hi again,
Missed this for a bit, been down in the snow. When I went in several weeks ago they had only just received the shipment of the underbody trans plate and dpf heat guard (very small) a few days before. Their records showed I was on the recall list, so they went ahead to do it without asking. They then rang me to say they needed to remove the aftermarket bash plate. I said not to and they told me I would have to sign to say I knocked it back.
They didn't really ask me to sign, but when I picked the car up they emailed me an invoice with the words:
CAMP
17S43 -INSTALL DPF HEAT SHEILD
**CUSTOMER REFUSED WORK DUE TO AFTERMARKET BASH PLATES INSTALLED**
I imagine if I had a warranty claim for a fire they would reject it, but can insurance reject it? Dunno, but there are plenty of other after market accessories, do they void insurance policies?? I did try to buy just the heat shield for the dpf but they wouldn't sell it to me.
As others have said, I figure a bit of care with a bit of wire is better to keep the flames at bay, anyway, and I'd rather have the heavy duty bash plate.
DPFs do seem like a really stoopid idea to me, though.

G.

MrPoopypants

Guys at my local workshop told me the other day that ARB have sent out a circular saying they are working on a replacement kit for the Ford Ranger DPF recall kit. Should be out in a few weeks. I'd imagine it will be better quality than the Ford one, but I also imagine it will have a bigger price! Be interesting to see what they come up with.
G.