PX Ranger low beam is hopeless. What's the fix?

TimNWVic

It was a while ago now but from memory the yellow X is a cleaner to clean the plastic prior to applying the new clear coat - it could just be alcohol or something. I recall the need to wear gloves and be meticulous about avoiding grease prints on the lens before applying the clear coat. White cloth was for cleaning, blue cloth (looked like standard disposable shop rag) for applying the sealer. Rest of it is varying grades of wet/dry sandpaper.

It's probably a bit of a ripoff at $50 since the only thing not available cheap and off the shelf at Bunnings is the clear coat.

cam04

I used toothpaste once on car that was going to be traded. Good short term fix, long term aaaaahhhh Mebbe not.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
It was a while ago now but from memory the yellow X is a cleaner to clean the plastic prior to applying the new clear coat - it could just be alcohol or something. I recall the need to wear gloves and be meticulous about avoiding grease prints on the lens before applying the clear coat. White cloth was for cleaning, blue cloth (looked like standard disposable shop rag) for applying the sealer. Rest of it is varying grades of wet/dry sandpaper.

It's probably a bit of a ripoff at $50 since the only thing not available cheap and off the shelf at Bunnings is the clear coat.

Ah, the X must have been the isopropyl, about the best cleaner that evaps fast and doesn't harm the acrylic.
Yeah, the sandpaper is pretty cheap, so too iso in little diggers bottles at Bunnings.

The UV coting is available in larger bottles but my last 500ml bottle was $425 or so, so it ain't cheap.

The little bottles, packaging, it's not a bad deal for a home fix, and if followed right should be as good as I can do, or close to it.
Bit of elbow grease and not too many here would be afraid of that, or get some satisfaction in the results.

I used toothpaste once on car that was going to be traded. Good short term fix, long term aaaaahhhh Mebbe not.

Definitely some vehicle cutting compound and a small lambswool pad on a drill backing would be a lot better, even by hand with a lot of rubbing would make them look ok to sell, depends how bad I guess.
Fine sandpaper rub to 1200 or 1500 grit wet and a polish is a lot better result, even without coating they'd look good for 2 or 3 months.
But toothpaste has be used (look it up on YouTube ! ha ha), damn awful results usually with scratch swirls etc.

Batts88

I used WD40 on my daughters 2010 kia rio after doing a search as there's heaps of things to try, it actually made a difference it just cleaned a lots of the built up grime off the plastic surface tha general washing doesn't get.

I bought my neighbors 2007 BT50 recently the headlights are not faded but I think it's had headlight covers since new so maybe they offer some protection.

Last edited: