Putting Photos inline in your posts

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
There's quite a knack to it, and it's not very easy to work out. You've probably all seen the "Insert Image" link so you can insert an image from your photobucket account or similar, but what if you don't have a photobucket account? read on....

Click on the Attachments button -
attach1.gif

This will popup a window where you can upload your image. In here, click on Browse and choose your image, then click Upload.
Once uploaded, you can just close this popup window.

Now this is the part that most don't realise..... click on the Attachments button again, and it will bring up a different box -

attach2.gif

Just click on the image you want to insert, and it will place the ATTACH bbcode in your post.
attach3.gif

Just move this text to where ever you want the image displayed.

That's it!

have fun,
Gav

Split pin

Sounds great. But my biggest problem re photos is that they are all over size. How do I down size them so that they are under the max on megabyt?

bludnut

split pin, there is a free program on the microsoft website, its in the power toys section. it puts a image re-sizer into right click. too easy.

cheers

Split pin

split pin, there is a free program on the microsoft website, its in the power toys section. it puts a image re-sizer into right click. too easy.

cheers

:mad::mad:Dosent work for Shitty Vista:mad::mad::mad::mad:It says it has cmpatability problems and wont run with vista.

Split pin

split pin do you have paint shop pro i can giude you through it if you have

naw nope nudda :mad::mad:All I have is quick time player or the basic windows picture viewer.
Thanks for all your help guys. The worst thing I ever did is up grade to vista and a new HP lap top that has never worked properly since I have got it. It has spent more time with HP getting repaired than I have used it:mad::mad:Never again will I buy HP.:(:(:(So dissapointing as Over the last 15 years I have never had a problem with any HP product but this laptop.

Last edited:

rodw

Google IrfanView. It is free and the greatest photo down sizer since Eastman Kodak....

I always use Irfanview to batch resample pictures I take before uploading to Photoshop. Takes so much time

Split pin

Ok a question for everyone. I am not going to let this beat me! If I upload these photo's to Photobucket like a number of people do here. How do I link 4x4 earth and my Photo bucket albums togeather in posts?

GippsSurfer

facebook will automatically reduce the size of the pic... that is another option for you...

I dont use it for that, but it can be done....

rodw

Ok a question for everyone. I am not going to let this beat me! If I upload these photo's to Photobucket like a number of people do here. How do I link 4x4 earth and my Photo bucket albums togeather in posts?

In Photobucket copy the IMG text to the clipboard and paste it into your thread without clciking on any buttons. Click on preview and it wil be there.

If you see a photo on the web you want to post, right click on it, select properties and copy the Image name to the clip board. Then open the image dialog box in the thread by clicking on the mountain icin and paste the text in. Make sure you get it all, there could be a couple of lines.

Uploading is much quicker if you downsample first rather than upload huge files and let facebook or photobucket do it.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Totally agree with RodW. I have used IrfanView for over 10 years and it is the best free editor with heaps of features. I only upload images to the web no larger than 1024x768 to save space, time and money.

rodw

Totally agree with RodW. I have used IrfanView for over 10 years and it is the best free editor with heaps of features. I only upload images to the web no larger than 1024x768 to save space, time and money.

I set the width to 640 pixels which is roughly 640x480 depending on the camera. Some forums don't like 800x600. I have hundreds of photos (maybe even more than 1,000) and still have only used 14% of Photobuckets free storage space.

If I have photos from a project or trip, I stick them all in a folder and make a LoRes folder under that. then I down sample with Irfanview into the LoRes folder before uploading. It only takes a few seconds and from some trips I have uploaded 200 or so in 10 minutes or less. Uploading 6 megapixel pics just so Photobucket can downsample them for you really sucks! Remember unless you have a dedicated professional digital connection to the Internet (not cable or ADSL), the bandwith for uploads is a lot less than it is for downloads.