Change background image

Putting a winch in a Toyota hilux

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Kayden, May 9, 2018.

1. Kayden

Kayden New Member

so I bought a winch want to put in a alloy bullbar and winch cradle but it's to big to fit on the chassis, so I'm replacing the alloy brackets for the bar with 8mm steel and going to weld the cradle to the brackets what's your thoughts is it going to work

2. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

fit up the winch with good strong brackets, then modify the bar brackets to suit. you want the winch to be really strong and not move, but you want the bar to give a bit in a major hit, so the bar brackets need to be able to bend first. When you remove the bolts for the tow hook and other bolts holding the bulbar brackets on, make sure you use penetrating oil on the threads of the captive nuts inside the chassis first, so they come out without damaging the threads. If the threads are damaged its a real job to fix as all the strain from the winch will pulling on those captive nuts. . . you don't want them giving way at an inconvenient time.

3. Kayden

Kayden New Member

IMG_1010.JPG That's Definitely something to keep in mind I fitted it off on the weekend but I don't know if it will be to low I put it on where the bullbar bolts to chassis at the front what your thoughts will I bottom out on everything is there anyway around it

4. LCV8VICTORIA

LCV8VICTORIA Active Member

Way to low move it higher
    Should be where you number plate is

5. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

Too low. Will also go against you with your approach and departure angles

D8F4A5A5-2316-4884-ADA9-58FC60F126A3.png

Like driving around with the Japanese car group

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  6. Lovey

Lovey Active Member

Hard to tell from the front, but if it sticks out too far it may be classed as a 'dangerous protusion' from the bull bar and could get you a defect.